Looking at buying a 197

Hello.
I'm look at buying a Clio 197 but after reading all the problems about the gearboxes it has slightly put me off. The car I am looking at is a 58 plate with 30,000 miles.
How much will it cost if the gearbox does go?
Is there anyway of telling whether the gearbox is likely to go?

There's new gearboxes on eBay for around the £600 mark.

Plus fitting.. I heard someone here say 8hours which sounds extreme to me! but if you've a friendly garage who'll charge you £35hr with no VAT for cash that's around £300 but you'd want to add a clutch really at the same time. I reckon you could do it for a grand.

A lot of people are getting significant contributions from Renault for the job though. Even out of warranty.

There's new gearboxes on eBay for around the £600 mark.

Plus fitting.. I heard someone here say 8hours which sounds extreme to me! but if you've a friendly garage who'll charge you £35hr with no VAT for cash that's around £300 but you'd want to add a clutch really at the same time. I reckon you could do it for a grand.

A lot of people are getting significant contributions from Renault for the job though. Even out of warranty.

Ye I have seen people getting contributions which has eased my worrys slightly.
Are they still giving contributions to people who haven't bought the cars from a Renault garage?

Ye I have seen people getting contributions which has eased my worrys slightly.
Are they still giving contributions to people who haven't bought the cars from a Renault garage?

Thats contributions to a NEW renault box though, not a £600 ebay gearbox.

A big difference i'd have thought.

5 yrs and not missed a beat.All manufactures have a few pigs.Go buy you will love it:thumbup:

5 yrs and not missed a beat.All manufactures have a few pigs.Go buy you will love it:thumbup:

+1.

Mine's sweet as a nut at 5 years old and she isn't dollied around, she gets driven.

Don't let the stories put you off. The VXR Corsa will melt piston number four if you Remap it according to the common man...