Living with a Meg'd Clio.

I must say, I had my doubts about Meg engine'd Clio's, and couldn't imagine having driven a 225, that you'd feel as connected as NA. That might still be the case but as a package, the turbo charged Clio is hard to beat. My Clio with the meg 250 engine drives like its big brother, you can either 'like driving Miss Daisy' it or absolutely nail it. Wife or daughter could drive it, and wouldn't know what it was capable of, its that easy to live with.

These things are seriously fast, I'm only running around 250 bhp (remap to follow to take it to around 310bhp) and this thing will live with most stuff. Motorway mid range pull is ridiculous. Things behind you just disappear. The turbo Clio's are running nearly double the torque of the average 197 and thats the biggest difference in performance. You do really need the R26 diff'd gearbox in order to stay connected though. With it, you don't need to change your driving style to the Clio IMO, stay on the power, feel the diff grip and pull you round the corner. Crazy!!!!

Meg gearbox, with the R26R short-shift conversion, will equally the Clio's short shift and accompanied by the chassis, LSD and not forgetting the presence that these things have on the road, this is absolutely a joy to own. You can't go anywhere without it attracting attention. Set of fancy coil overs and decent brake\pads\tires, I'll be ready for the track.
Furthermore, I recon compared to the Clio, I'll be saving around £400 a year on fuel alone!!!!

My 16 year old lad said, if Porsche made a hot-hatch, it wouldn't look or go that much different to the Clio. I think hes not wrong.

Last edited:
That's a nice little write-up to wake up with on a sunday morning litch! Thanks!

Roughly how much do you think it has cost you to do the conversion? Was it undertaken by yourself or paying people to do the labour?

I'm very jealous to say the least! But don't think I'll be able to afford one anytime soon :worried:

I'd like to see this car in the flesh some day! Any pics?

Heres a couple from my project thread.

Untitled-3.jpg

IMG_0591_zps148bff42.jpg

That's a nice little write-up to wake up with on a sunday morning litch! Thanks!

Roughly how much do you think it has cost you to do the conversion? Was it undertaken by yourself or paying people to do the labour?

I'm very jealous to say the least! But don't think I'll be able to afford one anytime soon :worried:

Cheers...TBH conversion price on 225 varies from who does the work.

Better on fuel than the N/A lump you think? I would buy one of these already converted but I wouldn't want the hassle myself to be honest. Lovely car btw!