Leave well alone....

I'm a newbie after only being on here for 3 weeks but its been worth it with the advice and parts I've recieved, so thanks to all that have been soo supportive and offering some advice. I've read loads about these great cars. Spoke to companies that mod them and looked into all kinds of conversions. I've come to the conclusion I need to 'leave well alone'. These cars have their failings as others do but I'm focusing in on what it can do rather than what it can't.
I'm forgetting about about expensive mods cause 99% are placebo or track use only. I speak from experience having but 15K into a supercharged bmw. Modding is like have a crack habit, starts small and before you know it, your lying to people about the extent of how much your habit is and your start hiding the car reciepts from your wife. I need some rehab.
Expensive mods are never 'plug n' play'. Unless your good with a spanner, its an expensive never ending game (can be fun but equally bloody frustrating, nothing ever works or fits first time). The margins are never cost effective and in search of BHP can easily be thousands. Not knocking it and everyone if given the chance should try and build their ultimate car, no expense spared. I did it and when I parted it out and put it back to standard, the parts were worth more than the car!!!!
Having a fast car isn't enough...to be able to drive fast, you have to be a fast driver. My friend on a track day was 'easily' the fastest in his silver 172, and there we some special stuff out there. Must admit he'd be fast in a milk float.
For my new baby, I'll have a filter cause they don't need replacing, an exhaust for the sound and a map to save me some fuel.
If I want to be king of the traffic light grand prix's then I'll buy a big bike and up my life insurance.

Last edited:
Wouldn't really disagree, these cars do most things very well straight out of the box. Plus having spent lots of time and money on modding my Puma, I returned it to standard and honestly reckon it drove better than with most of the modifications.

If you want a fast car, first start with a fast car.

If I sunk £3k into my 200 would it be a couple of seconds a lap faster on track? Yes.
Would it be any more fun? No.

I don't not mod, but I don't do anything I can't simply unbolt and sell. I have a line.

Wouldn't really disagree, these cars do most things very well straight out of the box. Plus having spent lots of time and money on modding my Puma, I returned it to standard and honestly reckon it drove better than with most of the modifications.

I had the same experience with my BM. Car manufacturers spend millions on developing and testing parts, and I thought I could make it better by spending thousands. Sometimes I question some of these companies and the advice they offer you. For example by all acounts an exhaust, filter and remap 15 bhp...what a joke. If only it was so simple. Gonna send Mr Renaultsport an email...Forget spending those millions....you know by changing the exhaust\filter and remap=£800 you can gain 15 bhp!!!!

Last edited:
i too learnt this a while back, hence my intentions with a197 are bolt on mods and coiovers.

the reasoning being i want a nippy track weapon that i dont want to throw thousands at again

I could have bought 2 200's for how much i threw at my R32 golf getting it to 450-500 bhp but like you say it was worth more in parts than it ws a whole, I regret every penny as the mk4 IMO is a pants chasis to begin with but i didnt know any better. I will be tinkering with my 200 when it gets here but nothing more than can just be removed and sold on as the car is a funky chicken to begin with!

Some people just like moding ,nothing wrong with that ,each to his own I say.

exactly - hats off to those that have the bottle to push the limits :thumbup1:

as for the manufacturer has spent millions developing the car....they have only up to a point and also to strict regulations - hence the aftermarket parts etc that can go beyond what the manufacturer built it to and ultimately limited it to !

That's ok to say when it's not your money, but the amount of people ploughing dead money into cars I find a bit shocking. Mostly because it is off the back of re-mortgages, loans and credit cards.

The tuners groom the kids, telling them what the NEED to buy to make it better. Forums egg them on (pick a thread from the gallery, every one will have "looks nice, but it NEEDS x, y or z"), banks are happy to lend at silly%APR. It's all about having your ego massaged by people.

What are you left with at the end? A car that everyone loves but nobody wants to buy, so is essentially worthless unless you break it.

I'm not saying don't do it, I've done it to some extent, but you don't NEED to do it - you're proving nothing other than your ability to spend money. The only people pushing the limits are those doing their own innovation and work, anyone can sign a cheque.

Still, people spend money on other pointless things - drugs, drink etc etc.

Last edited:
i had a vts once that owed me £10,000 +

when i added up all the recipts i was devastatted, just think of all the better cars i could of had for that money..........................................

That's ok to say when it's not your money, but the amount of people ploughing dead money into cars I find a bit shocking. Mostly because it is off the back of re-mortgages, loans and credit cards.

The tuners groom the kids, forums egg them on, banks are happy to lend at silly%APR. It's all about having your ego massaged by people wanting to be you.

What are you left with at the end? A car that everyone loves but nobody wants to buy, so is essentially worthless unless you break it.

i didnt borrow a penny for my old car although you do make a good point.

i have a mate with a glanza that loves maxing is credit card on coilovers etc...

silly man eh

I went through this with my old car too. Spent a lot of money on suspension and it was fantastic when the road surface was perfect, which was about 2% of the time! Went back to standard and it was a much better all round car. The stereo system in the car was also worth more than the car, which was a little worrying.

The 197 has had a few subtle mods but I think I will be leaving it alone

very well said renault spent thousands on there renaultsports for a reason.

And now im off to buy a big bike and get some life insurance. TRAFFIC LIGHT GRAND PRIX HERE I COME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry couldnt help myself.

Gouldy, I'm the same - I have a slush fund for fun, which pays for track days, bits and bobs etc. But I will never borrow to mod a car and I would never advise anyone does it either.

Plenty of idiots living off beans up to their eyeballs in debt for the sake of owning a shiny piece of metal though. Makes me a bit sad TBH, you see them get stuck in a cycle when they could have been a bit more savvy and in a much nicer car in x-years time.

Ben, you're right. You very rarely improve the car as a whole, you just make it better at certain things which in turn compromises others.

mikei know what your saying. I know people who have spent thousands one even spent a morgage deposit amount on a MX5 dont ask me why as i really dont know. If i was skint with no money i would rather walk then have a car.

When I bought the 330 I really wanted an M3 but couldn't justify the additional 15 grand. The money I put into the 330, I could have bought a CSL if I had the patience to wait. Although hindsight is a exact science....

Its not a moral argument or right v wrong. I agree "with each to their own". There are a couple of things I've learn't (personally to me....)
1. Do the things you want (as oppose to what others think you should be doing-its not their money paying for it)
2. Don't borrow money to pay for it....

I have done supid things. I had a Twingo GT before my RS just because the insurance and car worked out alot more. in the time having the GT i could have made the difference up in the parts i put on it.

Carbon bonnet
Remap
Different rear light
Different side reapters
Different bulbs
2 Different sets of lowering springs
172 alloys
Different brake hoses
Panel filter
Dump valve
Exhaust system
Colorful hoses under the bonnet
Window tints
Subs and speakers
and proberly more
To sell it a year later for a RS lol Money wasted down the drain. So i have now kept the Twingo standard except from orange calipers, Towing eye, Strut brace. Then the RS goodies and a handsfree kit.

Never even drive the car now always in the misses 1.2 imusic clio.

Last edited:
For the Golf I did the following.

Coilovers
Exhaust & DP
Intake
Remap
Brakes
Track wheels

270bhp/320tq and would chase 911s on track all day long.

Most I'd bought 2nd hand, so when I put the car back to standard I sold them for the same as they cost me, in some cases a little bit more.

The remap was dead money, but worth it for the smiles! The brakes I bought new, but got very good money when I sold them. So I was down £1000

I bought the car for £15,000 2.5 years ago, I've just sold it for £12,500 (it was white and very hi spec, so I got a premium). Add the grand I lost on remap/brakes and the odd bit of labour for things I couldn't be bothered doing, it isn't bad depreciation for any car.

In the same 2.5 years a friend ploughed £30,000 into a Golf making it into a 450bhp weapon, crazy ICE, carbon everything etc etc.. He struggled to give it away and selling the few bits he could, removing a diff for example is not cost effective, he lost a good £20,000+. It was always in the garage either needing tweaks or having bits added, so he hardly drove it.

His car was epicly faster and better (arguably) than mine, but who had the most fun for their money?? Me, without a doubt.

___

In my opinion, the Clio NEEDS nothing. It is really good as it is. The Golf had weak points and easy things to exploit, like the remap, but it didn't need any of it really for day to day driving.

I've chosen to change the brakes and geo, I've bought some sticky tyres, but that's it. If I wasn't tracking it, I wouldn't have bothered doing that.

Last edited: