Leave well alone....

Woody's off into the stratosphere with that thing!!

He's made a car that's as fast as a <insert sports car>, which has cost him as much as a <insert sports car>, but is only worth a 3rd of a <insert sports car>.

But, it seems like it's his hobby and he's as happy as a pig in poo!... you can't fault the lad's enthusiasm!!

Woody's off into the stratosphere with that thing!!

He's made a car that's as fast as a <insert sports car>, which has cost him as much as a <insert sports car>, but is only worth a 3rd of a <insert sports car>.

But, it seems like it's his hobby and he's as happy as a pig in poo!... you can't fault the lad's enthusiasm!!

I guess once someones happy and they are not stealing OAP's hangbags to pay for it, then each to their own.
I've had my ultimate go at a car, it cost me in many ways and almost cost me my love for them, as I became a little bitter towards it in the end (even though it was of my own making). It became like a 'bad' relationship...easy to get in, harder to get out. The wife called the car my mistress because of the amount of time and money I spent on it...no wonder she HATED it lol

Okay guys ive taken all ure comments on bored. Personally i do it cus i need something to do with myself once u know the things are out there its hard to stop looking. I intend on keeping the car for a long time and most of u will think im crazy over the next 18 months when u see what i have planned. Non of the money i have spent on the car is borrowed i wudnt pay interest on car parts full stop. I was going to remortgage my house last month to pay for the charger to be fitted but now im just gunna save.
With modding u will always find unforeseen costs i had 10k in the bank n i am now living on beens ....... And only beens.......... I eat out at weekends but thats it. Rest of money gets saved for the car. Im addicted to spending on it i think.

How i see it is u only live once and youth doesnt last forever at 23 i ache from fitness running, working, kneeling, bending, crawling my joinery job is tough and takes its toll police can be mentally straining in the fact ure getting ear bashed from every direction, seeing death all the time, long nights early morning. So really im trying to justify the fact that the car is my free time.

I come from a wealthy family with a dad as an investment banker, mum a solicitor brother an accountant all ive ever done really is chase the tail of the high flying side of the family so i got into developing houses 5 years back. Profits are minimal at the minute thats y ive stayed in glossop for a while (this also keeps me out of the way of ppl i am trying to avoid) thats another story.

Looking back at the money ive spent so far. N i think its just short of 12k on parts n labour i honestly do not regret 1 penny of it.

^^^ i agree. modding does make a difference i f u do it right. this is a great car to base it on, and the benefits are there, its just ££££££!!!

ive spent 2k on mine and in feb im due to spend another 3k. all parts bar 1 or 2 can be sold. do i enjoy it? yes! does it feel better than standard? yes! is it good fun? yes!

I do like this topic, I read the original thread and thought OH!, thats gonna get a few pages of comments..............................................

If I had the spare cash to do the same as Woody I would do. I enjoy that sort of thing and would like to be involved in making something my own. I cant be doing it at the moment as im saving for a house deposit. As stated I could go ahead and do it regardless and put it on credit but its just dead money that way.

The one thing I cant help but think is that while I have a very rare car, Woodys is completely unique...

I guess once someones happy and they are not stealing OAP's hangbags to pay for it, then each to their own.
I've had my ultimate go at a car, it cost me in many ways and almost cost me my love for them, as I became a little bitter towards it in the end (even though it was of my own making). It became like a 'bad' relationship...easy to get in, harder to get out. The wife called the car my mistress because of the amount of time and money I spent on it...no wonder she HATED it lol

My Mrs can bring me to tears about how much i spent on my golf, what got me more was in the 2 years i spent near 15k on it i blew an engine and only had the car for 3 months! I could be rocking an RS4 or R34 GTR by now but i learnt the hard way. Clio for me = fun and a new 200 = warranty = more fun less stress and i can actually learn to drive properly! lol! My golf was an animal but in truth i couldnt use it all on the road and on a track it would have out classed my abilities.

I can see both sides to this coin...

I think that what somebody choses to spend their hard-earned money on is upto them. Whilst it's easy to say ''if you want a fast car, buy one, don't build one'', some people don't have that luxury to be able to just go and buy/tax/insure a ''fast'' car. Whereas some people can afford to start with something fast and put money into it to make it into an animal, some people can't afford to, or would prefer to take something a bit ''underwhelming'' shall we say, and turn it into something a bit different.

I've modded all but one car I've had. The Clio is my 5th, the one I didn't mod was a Ford Puma 1.7 which I gave to my mum. My best/worse one though was this; I bought a standard 2001 FIAT Seicento Sporting in December 2008. From December 2008 to February 2009, I put about £6500 into the car. Albeit, this included £950 on the car itself...

Was it worth it!?! No, was it ****, it was still a Seicento.

Was it fun and did I enjoy every minute of the faffing about underneath it, blasting around Oulton Park and getting around there faster than TVR's in the pissing rain!?! Damn right I did and damn right it was.

Did I get my money back!?! Not a chance. I swapped it for a FIAT Coupe 2.0 16V Turbo, which I found staggeringly underwhelming. Yes it was faster than the Seicento in a straight line, but it wasn't as fun to drive and it didn't have the same character. But, I sold this and managed to get enough for it to finally get the car I'd been after for about 3 years, the 197. It just so happened that I was changing jobs at around the same time and trebling my salary!!! :smiley:

I'm currently in the process of moving house. My missus is about 4 weeks away from dropping our first child and we're moving for one reason. A bigger driveway. She doesn't drive at the moment and the 197 is my, sorry ''our'', family car. I love the 197 to bits, if I was single and living at home still then no doubt I'd have ploughed £1000's into her already... But, the bigger driveway gives me the room to build a track slag on. I know there's better things to spend my money on with a lil'un on the way blah blah blah. But, I love tinkering, I love trackdays. Building a track slag will mean I won't feel the need to mess with the 197 and she'll remain our ''sensible family'' car.

But... I might just spunk the track slag fund on a massive television, get a KTR Exhaust and Remap and a set of H&R Coilovers instead. Afterall, the missus will be driving by next summer and we can get her a Clio GT to potter around in and use as our ''sensible family'' car... :thumbup:

I don't work to save up, I work hard to live well and have fun. I might snuff it tomorrow and I don't want to go with thousands in the bank. I'd rather be comfortable and happy as a pig in **** instead of loaded and bored, waiting to turn 40 so I can retire early, grow a beard and buy a classic Lotus.

Decisions, decisions. :wink:

Last edited: