Best way to clean leaves off engine bay

tchalikias

Paid Member
So I live in an area with a lot of trees, which sadly means there are very few parking spots clear from trees. This means that every couple of days or so I will find a bird dropping or two on my 200 and tons of leaves under the wipers.

Naturally, these leaves somehow find themselves within the engine bay. They manage to literally fill every crevice!

What is the best way to clean them quickly? Will an air blower do an ok job? Is there any risk of a leaf going someplace it shouldn't? For example, as I was cleaning the engine bay today, I saw a small leaf slipping inside the alternator through one of the cooling holes on the metal cover. This got me thinking, perhaps a portable vacuum cleaner is a better tool for this job?

Car cover would be the best, but to properly clean them off I'd take off the trim where the wipers are couple times a year, you wouldn't believe how much crud builds up under it!

Personally id steer clear of outdoor car covers, you'll probably find it will introduce more problems than you currently have. Get some decent cleaning products, get it clean and keep on top of it is my advice.
I've tried blowing leaves out of engine bays with air lines, its hit and miss tbh, you will more likely end up pushing them further into areas you can't reach.
The area under the scuttle panel at the front is definitely worth doing as said, clear the drain holes out too, they will more than likely be clogged.

Yeah I remove the scuttle panel and clean the area there regularly, its incredible the stuff I find in there every time (cigarette butts even!). I guess a leaf blower is the best solution - I'm worried about caveats though, like a leaf finding its way where its not supposed to. On the other hand, I'm guessing the engine is properly shielded against contaminants, I mean it is a car after all, right?

i clwaned mine out at the weekend.

since o bought the car there was a lot of leaves and foliage in the bonnet hinges so i decided to remove the wipers and scuttle to check the drains were not blocked

gave it a good clean under the plastic trim and all the drains seem fine

over the winter i will remove all the wheel arch liners and clean inside the arches properly - got a feeling they will be alot of crap built up inside there!