KW V1 problem

Hi guys,

Working on the installation of the KW V1's and I have a concern. The front coilovers according to the manual do not require a top mount bearing such as the original suspension includes (allowing the system to rotate as the car is steered). Surely this lack of a bearing will cause issues? It's metal on metal.

Am I missing something regarding the installation or is this simply how it is designed and it is not an issue?

Cheers.

The bearing should be taken off the top of the standard suspension mount and put onto the coilover unit, i hope you didnt drive it at all with it like that!!

it goes on the top of the top spring cup. I have not fitted coilovers to my 197 so some pics might help, but on the race cars and my 182, i needed to remove the standard top mount etc.

But now i have ACTUALLY thought about it, the 197 has the "revo knuckle" (i think) design. And the actual damper doesnt turn anyway :smile:

Last edited:
Hmm ok, well in the manual it states to remove it, so I am confused to exactly the requirement here. I will have a look for more info. Thanks for the help.

Yeah no worries. Manual definitely states to remove it and says nothing about installing it into the KW's, it does concern me but as you state the upright design is quite tricky with these things.

I will just have to leave it for now I suppose and try to get a clearer idea on what is required.

Fancy me thinking this would be a straight forward job lol.

Get them fitted and set up correctly otherwise its a waste of time putting them on IMHO.

lol as I said I am. They are done now, full alignment, weight scales and the full whiz bang. Certainly stiffer but from what I can tell, understeer is now merely a concept :tongueout:

hehe, well not on public roads at least, track day coming up.

Also, back to the issue at hand, why would Renault include the bearings on the stock suspension when it is completely redundant? Simply a part transferred from another model?

Ospi; Ask Woody, he has V3's on his car and knows quite a lot about these sort of things.
I'm sure he will help, surprised he hasn't already posted!

Well they have been great until sunday after a spirited drive. Severe knocking in the front left, sounds like it's coming from the top mount but I had a good look and everything seemed tight and in place. Guess I will have to send it to be looked at.

Also, both fronts had the bumpstop and sleeve stuck up in the spring like this:

666efa74.jpg

Can't do much to prevent dirt when they are up there can they, bit of a design flaw if you ask me.

Did you ever get the knocking sorted?

Mines have been knocking bad so I stripped them down again and noticed that when the top nut is on fully it runs out of thread before it compresses on the metal plate of the triangal upper bearing!

I stuck 2 washers on the strut before attatching the top bush and they are rock solid now, no clunking or banging!

thats a pretty bad manufacturing error there. your wheel alignment would be all over the place if the top mount wasn't tight.

I'm not sure how the suspension is setup but I'd guess theres some sort of rubber bush between the top of the shock and the chassis? Could well be worn, this is what caused knocking on my old fiesta

I'm not sure how the suspension is setup but I'd guess theres some sort of rubber bush between the top of the shock and the chassis? Could well be worn, this is what caused knocking on my old fiesta

The car had 450 miles on it at the time.

The threaded bit of the damper rod has about 4mm of 'unthreaded' area, on the kw this is the same thickness as the threads meaning the nut cant go down further, on the oe strut it can.

I just put 2 washers on the bit where the red lines are.

IMG00127-20110104-1713.jpg