200: KIA Cee'd GT

RossWoods93

Cuckmeister General
Platinum Member
Just had an interesting run in with one of these!

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/kia/ceed/gt-hatchback/review

A yob had my spotted leaving my local tescos and thought he'd give me a cheap shot by deciding to steam up behind me overtake in a 30 that leads up to a roundabout nearby... I was quite aggravated by this d*ck move, and seeing a KIA badge attached to this car didn't help matters!

Off the roundabout he was obviously going to boot it out of the exit, so I thought "right lets be having you then" and left it in second... A solid chase to 60 started and I was having to lift! I carried through to 60/65 then let him on his way as I was taking a nearby exit! It gave me a good sense of satisfaction knowing the 200 Clio screamer would take it...

But from a 1.6 turbocharged engine you would expect somewhat better performance from the engine? (7.9 seconds 0-62 on paper???) And with 217bhp you'd have thought plenty of ooomph in there as well! Thumbs up to those who engineered the 200 EDC in that case!

Anyone else seen many of these KIA's about?! I'd certainly be spending my money elsewhere!

Looking at the specs from parkers they're quite lardy! That's the problem with a lot of modern cars, they might have the power but they also weigh a good 200kg more. So when you factor that in it's like having roughly 3 adult passangers lol. Power to weight ratio is where it's at!

7.9 is really quite slow for a hot hatch. Good to know the Clio still has the edge over newer cars :smiley:

Cant say we will ever being see 2L na hot hatches again, not with the performance a 1.6 turbo can give you, let alone the extra benefits, such as mpg tax etc...

Can only see engine sizes going down as manufscturers get better at extracting power from them...

Goodjob on putting him in his place though, perhaps he will reconsider overtaking in a 30 in the future!

I know Evo mag had one as a long-termer. They really liked it, said it was well-specced but lacking in performance...

Shame there's so many nobs on the road out to prove they're the big man. Not just chavs in hatches, the other day some prick in an R8 was overtaking in a 30 zone, cutting everyone up. Sounded nice though...!

I considered one as a replacement for the ST as they look and drive really well, just very expensive. Not an out and out hot hatch (More of a warm hatch) but a really good first effort by Kia to do one.

The na engines are dead. We should all appreciate the f4r and type r na engines. Will be rare in years to come.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's a shame, OK they aren't the cleanest of engines but they are arguably more fun in certain situations - have to ring their neck to get the best from them. Anyone can drive a turbo car quickly it's just point and squirt.

I had a shot in one out of interest when I was looking to buy the RS Clio EDC. But as already commented ... I thought the engine was the weak point. Pretty coarse when pushed and seemed to run out of steam quite quickly. Brakes I also thought were a bit weak (IE. no real feel or progression to them). Otherwise I quite liked the car. Handled quite tidy, pretty well spec'd (VERY nice front seats) and not too bad a looker. While I accept that Kia had commented themselves that it's not supposed to be a direct competitor to the likes of the Focus ST etc. I'll be interested to see if they drop a bigger (and cleaner) engine in at some point.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hamad Wheels and Tyres 3
Goose Other Marques 10
W Other Marques 13
C Wheels and Tyres 4
Arran Other Marques 6