197: Keycard disaster, all the missus fault!

Morning all.

My wife, bless her, has put my keycard through the wash. Obviously water has got in and it now does not work. I have taken the battery out and put it in the airing cupboard. Will it survive?

I dug out the spare which I have never used, put in a new battery and tried it but it does not work. So I am unable to get to work and a bit worried about having to fork out to get new cards.

Any ideas?

Should be able to still get to work, card should still work in the slot even if it's not remotely working. Renault charge £200 for a new one hate to tell you.

Should be able to still get to work, card should still work in the slot even if it's not remotely working. Renault charge £200 for a new one hate to tell you.

I have opened the passenger door with the manual key and tried inserting the card but nothing happens, the alarm is still going off. Does this mean my spare is a dud?

I wouldn't imagine that your spare key is a dud. Perhaps worth disconnecting the battery for a short period of time and then reconnecting it to see if it resets the alarm?

I wouldn't imagine that your spare key is a dud. Perhaps worth disconnecting the battery for a short period of time and then reconnecting it to see if it resets the alarm?

The alarm is not an issue as it stops after a short time when the door is shut.

I think the spare has had a flat battery for a long time and needs to re connect to the car somehow, is there a method for doing this?

No. Once a spare battery is swopped to a new battery then it should work
if the screen is coming up card not detected its probably fubared

Possibly still water trapped in the key's circuitry. It'd be worth burying it in a bag of rice or in those silica packs you often find in mailed packages. It does the trick more often than you'd think.

No. Once a spare battery is swopped to a new battery then it should work
if the screen is coming up card not detected its probably fubared

Thats a bugger.

Possibly still water trapped in the key's circuitry. It'd be worth burying it in a bag of rice or in those silica packs you often find in mailed packages. It does the trick more often than you'd think.

All the visable moisture behind the buttons has gone now. I have put in some rice, hopefully it will do the trick.

Phoned my local Renault dealer, looking at £180, 10 days and I have to get the car there. Even if I get one key working I am going to get another as this has highlighted the importance of a spare.

one of the test renault did with keycard was putting it through a wash...so "it should" still work....eventually :innocent:

Similar Thread Suggestions