Key issue

Ok, I have been putting this one off for a while. (I have the keyless entry and start)

I drive and park up for dinner one day, key in pocket the entire time as normal.

Come out to my car and it would not open, I physically needed to press the button on my key a number of times before it unlocked, strange I thought.

Hopped in, car would not start, the key was not recognised. Tried inserting it, but nothing again...

After changing the battery with one across the road, the car still would not change. My family had to travel home, get a spare key, then come back. The car sprung into life immediately.

Now I have one key that is useless and does nothing and the other which is fine.

Help! What can I do to fix this, a little worrying if you are the other side of the country and this happens. You can't just nip home to get the spare...

What can I do! Whats the issue?!

Sounds like the key itself then doesn't it?

Might be a trip to renault for a new key if the battery didn't fix it?

Had the same problem. Its going to sound strange but I changed the battery to a Duracell and works fine now. I think the keys are temperamental on cheap batteries. Could be wrong but I've got no problems now so give it a go.

Well, i was sitting eating dinner for a good two hours, so it could have died any time when i was eating....

When you changed the battery how long did it not have one in?
Sometimes you only get 30 seconds or so before it needs recoding.

Not true.

When i go on holiday i always take the batteries out of the fobs (DONT ask why)

My spare was sat in my draw for 2 years without the battery and when i put the battery back in they work fine.

Try sticking the card in the slot next time you drive it. There's been talk on here before that the card has 2 batteries, one of which is contact recharged when its in its slot.

Try sticking the card in the slot next time you drive it. There's been talk on here before that the card has 2 batteries, one of which is contact recharged when its in its slot.

Not sure if that's true or not, but if so then I expect mine to run out anytime now as it has NEVER been in the slot whilst i've owned it! (only 12 months, so it could be true I suppose)

Not sure if that's true or not, but if so then I expect mine to run out anytime now as it has NEVER been in the slot whilst i've owned it! (only 12 months, so it could be true I suppose)

As if by magic, this was posted at on 197 Facebook page this morning....

945556_467611203313354_1607567133_n.jpg

and that goes against the "keyless entry" part of the system ie you dont need to put your key in a slot/lock for it to work the system...

so in effect according to that its not "keyless" system...

i think it has more to do with the card being read and recognised by the system then charging none existent batteries!

had my car since 2007 and both keycards havent been in the card slot...:wink:

Last edited:
well theres pictures on google of opened key cards that look like there a second battery, and a few people have been told by renault techs theres the second battery and myself had problems after a year or two, then started using the slot and was fine since.

i would say theres alot of factors involved in to say why some work without using the slot and some packing up, how often you use start the car, and even just as simple as some cars/cards/batteries are btter the others

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Interior and Audio 3
Daniel_S Clio General Chat 1
LukeRS Interior and Audio 6
Gareth_197 Interior and Audio 11
M Body Work and Exterior Lights 9