2nd key issue

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my clio 200 from the dealership last week, as it was part of a chain i was told the second key was at another dealership as the car was meant to be returned to that one after a period of time. Now ive bought the car it turns out that the old owner was a technician at renault and he should have the second key. The salesman is now trying to get in tough with the technician but he told me that if the old owner didnt have the second key then i would have to pay to get it replaced, as i had nothing in writing (just expected the key would be sent across when i bought the car) do i have a leg to stand on? or will i have to buy a second key from renault?

I would say you have, tell them your expecting the second key, if they dont and trying charging you for the second key tell them there having the car back and take you business else where. They should back down.

I would insist on

1. a second key fully programmed
2. the old key deactivating off the cars key list.

So they have been back in contact, no second key. However they are nice enough to offer me a second at a discounted rate of £130 (instead of £160 - how nice!). I have emailed them stating that I want a second key free of charge and the old key removing from the car so it cant be used. My only concern is that there was never any written communications that there would be 2 keys, am i just stupid for expecting it to have come with 2 when they had told me?

Did you pay cash or is the car financed? If it is financed you should have a grace period to get out of any contract of maybe 28 days? Check your documents...if they don't want to get you a key sorted out, go back to the dealership and tell them they can have the car back unless they get you that second key and pay the costs themselves. I did this regarding warped brake discs and they suddenly changed their mind about not covering them.

So they have been back in contact, no second key. However they are nice enough to offer me a second at a discounted rate of £130 (instead of £160 - how nice!). I have emailed them stating that I want a second key free of charge and the old key removing from the car so it cant be used. My only concern is that there was never any written communications that there would be 2 keys, am i just stupid for expecting it to have come with 2 when they had told me?

it wont cost the dealer £160/130 to supply a new key...they are making money out of thier cock-up...

its not unreasonable to expect 2 keys from a renault dealer afterall its not that hard for them to sort it!!

Good news, sent an angry email to the salesman and his manager and they have agreed to replace the new key free of charge. I do find it a bit of a shame it had to come to threatening them to get what infact i was meant to have, leaves a bit of a bitter taste and lack of trust in them

Yep, sadly it seems that a lot of the time it takes an angry or threatening letter/chat to get what you deserve from these people. Glad it got sorted.

Good news, sent an angry email to the salesman and his manager and they have agreed to replace the new key free of charge. I do find it a bit of a shame it had to come to threatening them to get what infact i was meant to have, leaves a bit of a bitter taste and lack of trust in them

It seems to be the only way to get anything out the motortrade these days.

I don't get it just replace the key for free in the 1st place your happy with the service and will probably use them again. Now they have made life so hard over something so basic and lost future trade.