Keeping the car clean (safely) between washes

How do you guys keep the car clean between washes?

Example, you've spent hours washing, drying waxing etc and the next day there is a light dust etc on the car that destroys me. Is there any SAFE way to give it a quick wipe over without risking any swirls/scratches?

I understand that a full snow foam and 2 bucket wash routine is the safest option but thats a lot of hassle to remove dust and very light water/rain marks between washes (i try to wash every weekend though being from sunny Belfast, the weather often stops that!)

Cheers Guys

I have "half garage".. most of our houses do have this kind of thing.
This time of year car stays clean so long when you dont drive it. All roads are full of salt and dirt. I have to wash car once / week with snowfoam + mitt / shampoo.
My car do have ceramic coating, wash is so easy..

AT14_moderni_puupanelointi2.jpg

Reactions: Roshi69
Would love a garage! Problem is I've only moved into my first house a year ago and there's no room for one sadly!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn’t do anything on my car ‘dry’ as such in regard of cleaning dirt off.

If it was shit-bound or had bird droppings on etc I’d just-wash to get the worst off if I was short of time: but in regard of wiping / cleaning / trying to get dust or anything off from dry paintwork .........not me !

Willing to be educated if I’m over cautious though ?

@sevenfourate this is 100% right. Never touch car dry even it has only light dust over it.
There is so much contaminants and sand flying in the air.. really high risk for swirls.
This is maybe stupid, but when i go to my heated garage and swap between winterbeater and clio, i always have to wash that car which i leave in garage, after few hours i put cover on. That is only way to be sure car would not be swirled and paintwork is clean when i put cover on. Lot of washing.. But i like it.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t do anything on my car ‘dry’ as such in regard of cleaning dirt off.

If it was shit-bound or had bird droppings on etc I’d just-wash to get the worst off if I was short of time: but in regard of wiping / cleaning / trying to get dust or anything off from dry paintwork .........not me !

Willing to be educated if I’m over cautious though ?
Yea this is my worry. My problem is I'm along the sort of lines as you in the way of dirt being upsetting [emoji23]

I've never touched the car dry and wouldn't want to unless there was some magic trick or tip that I was unaware of.

I enjoy cleaning the car. Issue is I don't have a garage and the weather is shit 98% of the time here so it does my head in having to leave the car dirty for some time weeks on end cause of the rain.

Is there even any good wax or anything that would enable me to give the car a quick snow foam and rinse to help in between washes and would lift most of the dirt off.

On this car I find the dirt tends to stick to it quite well. Previous cars I could quite easily get away with a snow foam and rinse between. Don't know if its the paint work or down to it being white and my previous were dark

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yea this is my worry. My problem is I'm along the sort of lines as you in the way of dirt being upsetting [emoji23]

I've never touched the car dry and wouldn't want to unless there was some magic trick or tip that I was unaware of.

I enjoy cleaning the car. Issue is I don't have a garage and the weather is shit 98% of the time here so it does my head in having to leave the car dirty for some time weeks on end cause of the rain.

Is there even any good wax or anything that would enable me to give the car a quick snow foam and rinse to help in between washes and would lift most of the dirt off.

On this car I find the dirt tends to stick to it quite well. Previous cars I could quite easily get away with a snow foam and rinse between. Don't know if its the paint work or down to it being white and my previous were dark

White always looks dirty within days of washing! best coating as said above is a ceramic coating bit of a faff to do, but once done your looking at a year plus protection and cleaning it is more manageable i used Gyeon Mohs coating and its lasted 2 years on my wife white car which is left on our driveway all year round.

Reactions: R11HOY and Roshi69
I've got me something from here before I got my garage.

https://www.autopyjama.com/home-engl/

They seem to be the market leader and have decades of experience on car covers. I've called them and talked to the owner Mr. Stanley on the phone because I was a little worried that the Auto-Storm AQUA I bought from them may is a little to "rough" for my matt paint but he assured me that's not the case. He also gave me some additional infos and seems to be a really cool and honest person. As his name suggests he's obviously from the UK so you can just call him and ask if you've any questions about their products.

Reactions: R11HOY
Car covers or caravan covers, they all seem to scratch the vehicle, I have seen some nasty scratches. You might avoid some if your vehicle is stored in a garage where the wind doesn't effect it but if not and the wind keeps blowing it, its a sure fire way to get scratches on your paintwork. Caravan Washing is the same, once washed the owners put covers on for the winter, the caravan can easily get scratched but also they get moisture in them. So do cars if they get any moisture in, the dreaded green mould which is very bad for asthmatics.