Just joined need help on car !

The Megs are good, the F1 has an LSD which helps too. They're quicker than the Clio in a straight line, but the Clio has the edge handling wise from what I've heard over the years. There's a good many on here who've owned both, so you should hopefully get a good answer or 2.

I've just sold my R26 megane after 2 years of ownership to go back to the clio.

To be honest they are totally different animals, so its hard to compare them. The meg is effortless, very lazy everyday driving with it being a turbo, but deceptivley fast, I would often sit on the motorway and be doing 110/120 without even realising it as they're quiet and so smooth- the clio would be screaming its tits off at that speed. Easy power gains are achievable in the meg, mine was running 285bhp but would only return 23/24mpg. The handling is good, the LSD makes a lot of difference on the meg but in comparison to the clio they are a bit boaty.

It all depends on what you want from the car, the meg is more luxury than sporty- the clio is what a hot hatch is all about and a real drivers car, you have to work it through the gears and rev it hard like the civic, most of the power is further up the rev range where as the meg will give you the shunt straight out the box at 2k.

The best bet is to drive both and see which best suits you. I loved my megane dont get me wrong, and both are good for everyday round town driving (although the lock on the meg steering is a bit ****) they are both similar prices to insure but the running costs of the meg are much higher with the cost of tyres and fuel etc.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much guys I think by what you all have said and what I have read I'm going to go for the clio :smile: the idea is to go for a cheaper car to run and something I can throw about power don't bother me too much anymore as long as it has a bit and power and handling is good I just want something newish and I'm looking at a few 57 plate ly clios I love them and looking forward to be doing some track days with some of you :smile: thank you all for great replays this is such a great site :smile: P.s if I was to mod the clip slightly exhaust wise does the remap make the flat spot as noticeable as a standard r27 ?

welcome along, i have gone from a civic ep3 to a clio 200 rs and i have never had as much fun.i have had my 200 for 3 weeks now and it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it, plus this forum is a lot more friendly than the type r owners :smile:

Thank you so much guys I think by what you all have said and what I have read I'm going to go for the clio :smile: the idea is to go for a cheaper car to run and something I can throw about power don't bother me too much anymore as long as it has a bit and power and handling is good I just want something newish and I'm looking at a few 57 plate ly clios I love them and looking forward to be doing some track days with some of you :smile: thank you all for great replays this is such a great site :smile: P.s if I was to mod the clip slightly exhaust wise does the remap make the flat spot as noticeable as a standard r27 ?

If your going for a 57 plate

make sure:

Cambelt changed (usually do water pump @ same time etc)

check for the usual, ware on the recaro bolsters etc if going for a R27

Read this thread :wink: will clear alot up when looking to buy

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19788

ive got a 197 and parents-in-law have a R26, i love it, ive driven it and love how it goes but for some reason although its quicker than the clio, it doesnt put as much as a smile on my face, the clio just revs and revs and revs and te megane doesnt have the same feeling, like said above, the power is always there but just doesnt do it for me, i would love one tho lol, but tbh the clio is prettier :wink:

IMG_1056-1.jpg

yea thanks guys and i have a buyer for civic his coming 5 hour drive tomorrow :smile: im so guna miss her though :worried: im thinking of buying ollies off here he wants 6500 but dont think i can stretch that far what do we think and its due for cambelt service too ????? what we thinking guys i could have one by the weekend :smile:

yea thanks guys and i have a buyer for civic his coming 5 hour drive tomorrow :smile: im so guna miss her though :worried: im thinking of buying ollies off here he wants 6500 but dont think i can stretch that far what do we think and its due for cambelt service too ????? what we thinking guys i could have one by the weekend :smile:

Dont rush it mate, i no its all exciting lol, but make sure u get the right one.

Good luck :wink:

i know mate ive been looking for a while and ollies is untouched is mint ive also been speaking with someone else but theirs is also coming up for belt change etc i have to have this colour too ! how much will the 5 year service cost me ?

Thanks for reply mate

been quoted from renault 750 for the 5 year service thats with crank shaft pully cam belt aux belt service etc !!!! but they said nothing about a water pump hmmmmmm!! im sure u have these done same time ? and guys car is sold im going to look at clio on friday :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions