Is it worth my changing the cambelt?

Ryster

Paid Member
Hi guys,

I have a black 60 plate 200 which is currently making its way to 11k on the clock. Now it was last serviced in November 2013 at 7k. Now I know that it's 12k or every two years, so I'm working on the two years which knocks the service schedule out of sync. So I know next year, according to the six years mentioned in the handbook, is the cambelt change but as its five years on the 197 would anyone bother with it this year?

i know people will just say "yeah, definitely get it done". But take into account the fact I've don't about 5k in nearly two years is it not better just sticking with what Renault say and get it done next year?

Also, which service should I go for, just the normal one or the five year one? The five year one include a brake fluid change, but I had all pads and fluid changed around 4k ago, so again I'm stuck on what to go for.

any help would be appreciated, especially honest answers! I know it's easier just to say do it, but if it's not really nescessary, because Renault say so, then I can save myself £500 for a cambelt change.

thanks everyone.

Wait until next year when its due, particuarlly with it being very low mileage. Also id get a basic service if youve had the fluid changed already.

Wait until next year when its due, particuarlly with it being very low mileage. Also id get a basic service if youve had the fluid changed already.

Thanks mate, that's what I was thinking of doing but wasn't entirely sure to be honest.

Well if you service it now and then cambelt service next year, you're likely spending more overall so all you are achieving is deferring from a higher cost now to later.
So either don't do a normal service now, or do the cambelt service now.

Personally I can't abide it when people service on mileage only though, over the years I've walked away from so many cars because people will tell you it's FSH and then when you go through the history it's not. Especially found this an issue with low mileage S1 Elises, you'd be expecting 12 stamps and you get there and there's like 5!

Cambelt I would wait until the 6 years when it is due. Brake fluid, it seems pointless doing it again so soon after it was done before. You could tailor the service to what you want doing - ask the garage to do the bits you want, but not the bits you don't. I'm sure they will oblige.

Well if you service it now and then cambelt service next year, you're likely spending more overall so all you are achieving is deferring from a higher cost now to later.
So either don't do a normal service now, or do the cambelt service now.

Personally I can't abide it when people service on mileage only though, over the years I've walked away from so many cars because people will tell you it's FSH and then when you go through the history it's not. Especially found this an issue with low mileage S1 Elises, you'd be expecting 12 stamps and you get there and there's like 5!

I don't stick by mileage, it's mileage or time, whatever comes first. If a service is due, it's due. Just as mine falls in between dates and with the mileage I've done I'm genuinely unsure what to get done!

Had mine done the other month.. 76k miles 2010 Clio 200, it's more safety precaution to do it every 5 years because sometimes letting a car stand does more damage than driving..

As above I'd wait for a little while :smile:

Had mine done the other month.. 76k miles 2010 Clio 200, it's more safety precaution to do it every 5 years because sometimes letting a car stand does more damage than driving..

As above I'd wait for a little while :smile:

But the interval is 72k miles, so you went over regardless of the time.

But the interval is 72k miles, so you went over regardless of the time.

this is what we are saying, mines 5 years old and higher mileage so i was just saying that mine was still fine with that age and mileage. just giving the guy some info

this is what we are saying, mines 5 years old and higher mileage so i was just saying that mine was still fine with that age and mileage. just giving the guy some info

It isn't what we are saying. We are saying that he's ok to leave it until 6 years (which is the recomended interval). What you are saying is that it's ok to go over, which is bad advice to give really.

It isn't what we are saying. We are saying that he's ok to leave it until 6 years (which is the recommended interval). What you are saying is that it's ok to go over, which is bad advice to give really.

nope just said mine was 5 years old with 76k on it and was fine when it came off my car. was in a similar situation, can i wait? yeah i could, just drove lower rpm untill money was saved up. not saying that is fine to do but its what i did so just handed info to the guy so he could make his decision :smile:

Now now, everyone just trying to help the OP make an informed decision. Let's not argue :smile:

Generally speaking, stick to the manufacturers recommendations and not exceed these, however since ive been on this forum ive seen one case of the belt snapping and that was not over the time or mileage scale. Is it worth the risk is the question to be asked.

I work as a mechanic and I would say do the cambelt on manufacturer recommendations or less. All cars are driven differently and under different conditions so would be safest to do on time or less. I personally would leave the brake fluid change and just do a service oil filter and oil and plugs if they are due for what they cost and the air filters ( if no induction kit fitted) it would be really gutting if the belt snapped. In saying that I have only heard of belts snapping on renault sports when overdue. :thumbup1:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FunnyMan Clio 200 Area 15
chris_blue Spotted 0
MarcB eBay Finds 1
J Clio General Chat 3
Alex88 General Chat 2