Inside of locking wheel bolt sheered off - aaargh!

littleg78

Paid Member
040A5FF8-D1BA-486E-880A-1DAE3A756EA6.jpegCastle Combe on Friday, lovely forecast, so went to swap wheels for my MRF’s… first wheel and the locking bolt gave way and can’t get the bleedin wheel off!

Any ideas how I can the bolt out in the next 24 hours?

Amazon prime

If you can get enough on it try these

Ritzybiz Impact Nut & Bolt Extractor Set, Nut Removal Extractor Socket Tool Set, Metric Bolt Extractor Set, Bolt Remover Tool Set (14 Pcs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y8CW8S9/?tag=clio197-21

If not you’ll have to drill out the centre and use these:

Gunpla 6 Pcs Screw Extractor Set Alloy Steel Damaged Spiral Screws Bolt Remover Heavy Duty Durable Broken Bolts Easy Stripped Extraction Tool with Plastic Storage Case https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DRB83C8/?tag=clio197-21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: littleg78
Thanks @R20BTG don’t think I can get the bits fast enough so might try my luck at a local garage tomorrow.

UPDATE - that’s 2 of them sheered off now… the front two! Backs have now been replaced with normal bolts… fronts must have been tightened up by a Wookiee…

Go to a good alloy wheel place or tyre shop they deal with that every day and will have the kit, most likely something will need welded to the center. Drill the head off to free the wheel then work on what's left.

I don't bother with locking nuts. My car is parked on my drive at night and it sometimes will be driven to and from work, and parked in public car parks.

I am not sure people are so keen to steal wheels from cars these days. Or maybe I am just a fool?

Local tyre shop got the bolts out - needed a bit of chiselling so wheels took a battering!

@burrellbloke I won’t be using locking wheel nuts again either… car normally lives in the garage anyway!

3D5417CB-3D44-4EDA-816F-EB5900566FCA.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: EthanMenace
So glad I got the right tyres on for today - Castle Combe is a great circuit.

Changes since my last track day are Meg conversion (+300bhp), Gaz golds, and the megane LSD…the sticky tyres were the icing on the cake, and the way it put the power down out of corners was immense!

never torque the lock bolts up to the same as the wheel bolts...

usually only do lock bolts to 100nm normal nuts to the 130-140nm

Reactions: Sean197
Exactly this - I’m trying to figure out who last took the wheels off the car… it wasn’t me!

had a few close missis with locking bolts on renaults just starting to round off as they are being loosened so form now irrespective of what car they go on slightly less torque...

and one of the first jobs i do when i get a new or different car