Input required!

Hi all

Im planning the steering side of my 197 race car project, and need some input from owners.

Basically I only want solid comments/advice preferably from track users who have also driven 172/182 clios.

The 197 uses an electrically assisted column, whereas the earlier ones used a hydraulic rack. Now since ive never driven a 197 on track and road miles have been limited to driving with customers int he car, im wanting users opinions on the steering "feel" on the 197, ideally in comparison to the earlier clios, when really pushing it!

Electric assistence is famously "vague", have renault sussed it on the 197?

I have the option of 197 cup racer steering, or (im more tempted by) retro-fitting a 182 cup rack with an electric pump from say a Kangoo van.

....discuss :w00t:

Tiff nedal loves the 197 in one of the 197 vs vxr corsa videos see you tube he says that he was worried about the elec steering and wondered why they had switched from the old style racks in clios of old however he then goes on to say that Renault have got it just right . As soon as you get te Clio on track the steering IMO is perfect

It lacks a little feel yes but the only way to cure that would be a non pas rack !!!!
It's perfect the weight when on track is set just right and provides a nice feel.

I see no need to change mine but that's just my opinion I'd YouTube that video though craig worth a watch.

The other thing aswell if your keeping you project road legal which is half the fun driving to the shops will be easier with the nice lecy steering

Hth

Arron

hmmm lol, road legal will be sorted probably later in the year. Its bottom of the list really, will only have it on the road for demo purposes to customers really.
The fuel tank ive got is only 1gallon lol

I definately want need some form of power assistance, as with 17" slicks and a plate LSD in the sequential box, steering will be VERY heavy.

My experience and opinion of the earlier set-up is there is no lack of feel when compared to a totally non-pas. Ive built a few with non-pas, and tbh they arent any "better".

I guess its a suck it an see trial...Ive got the cup racer rack anyway, just need to get an assisted column then, i'll try that first.

Thanks for your post :smile:

ANyone else got any experience with this??

We own one of each, and I've driven both of them on track. IMO the steering on the 182 is slightly better, but not enough to change the 197.

driven both 182 and 197, personally I think the steering on the 197 feels a bit more planted and stable than the 182. Its hard to say cus the 182 is a lighter car so it feels like it steers more easily but on the other hand when driving my 197 like a nutter I love the feedback you get from the road.

btw Were u got all these cup racer bits from ?

And don't say a cup racer ;-)

bought a job lot of parts, collecting it all this weekend, including a 2009 shell I'm using as a base for my new sprint/hillclimb race car project.

Stuff like the sadev box and various engine parts I've already got stock of.

just to add something you said in the 1st post i wouldnt go for the kangoo pump they aint the most reliable on a kangoo let alone something that handles aswell as the 197 plus they are quite lumpy price wise around £400 a pop

Not had any reliability issues previously with them.

I think I paid £120 for the one For my Williams rally car...recon'd unit.