induction/air filter help

Wonder what a 70mm 45 degree cut down to size would be like on that?suppose its all trial and error, PM what you are after from ITG and I will see what I can do.

Hi [MENTION=2929]smoggy mark[/MENTION], do I need to buy proper cleaning fluid to clean my air filter? Is there something I could use which I might already have? I have the spray oil from ITG, but wanted to clean it properly first.

Hi @smoggy mark, do I need to buy proper cleaning fluid to clean my air filter? Is there something I could use which I might already have? I have the spray oil from ITG, but wanted to clean it properly first.

You just need dirt retention oil. I bought Castrol stuff. It doesn't really spray, it squirts, but squirt some on (NOT TOO MUCH!!) and rub it in all over the filter. Service intervals are on here somewhere.

You just need dirt retention oil. I bought Castrol stuff. It doesn't really spray, it squirts, but squirt some on (NOT TOO MUCH!!) and rub it in all over the filter. Service intervals are on here somewhere.

Cheers mate, but I have ITG's oil already. I just seen that people use a cleaner before oiling? Or is that not strictly necessary?

Why not just take the Airbox lid off?

Sounds exactly like an induction kit.

It's been proven a 15BHP loss but I REALLY don't see how that works since that's how induction kits work anyway, such as KTEC's one. Open air filter, with a cold air feed. Exactly how it is with the airbox lid off.

Try it, it improved throttle response for me and I still think the car was actually faster. Just be aware that you'll need to drill holes in the lid if you want it as a permanent option. Sounds the balls too.

As for cleaning the panel filter, I'm probably doing it wrong, but I just use luke warm water and clean it a **** load of times.

Last edited:
Why not just take the Airbox lid off?

Sounds exactly like an induction kit.

It's been proven a 15BHP loss but I REALLY don't see how that works since that's how induction kits work anyway, such as KTEC's one. Open air filter, with a cold air feed. Exactly how it is with the airbox lid off.

Try it, it improved throttle response for me and I still think the car was actually faster. Just be aware that you'll need to drill holes in the lid if you want it as a permanent option. Sounds the balls too.

As for cleaning the panel filter, I'm probably doing it wrong, but I just use luke warm water and clean it a **** load of times.

Where has it been proven to be -15hp?

You have a point tbh, the idea with the lid is to stop the hotter air from the engine bay being sucked in, but the k-tec as you say is open anyway.

You have a point tbh, the idea with the lid is to stop the hotter air from the engine bay being sucked in, but the k-tec as you say is open anyway.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?22714-Airbox-lid-removal-confirmed-power-loss

^ IMO, I think that's a load of poop, but if someone's gone out of their way to dyno it, then I suppose it can't be wrong. Could be a marketing technique by companies to make you buy kits though, never know!

Also, over 4k, the engine starts sucking in warm air anyway due to the secondary intake.

I like to think the idea of taking the airbox lid off will help quite a bit in de-restricting the air flow. If someone could dyno this on the more common dyno (forgot the name) then it would be great. I don't see how it would negatively affect the car though, as like I said, the engine sucks in warm air from the secondary intake anyway.

As an example, last night I experimented with it, it spins it's **** in first gear without the airbox lid, with it, I got bad bunny hop from the repetitive grip and less power.

Could be me though. I get a lot of stuff wrong.

Last edited:
If the car was faster do you not think that the hundreds of renault technicians would have left it open , chasing power on these engines is a waste of time if your after the noise then go ahead and remove the lid but i can quite believe that it will lose power

The reason the K-tec works, or any open cone for that matter, is down to the positioning of the open cone. Facing down where the old housing was, cold air is forced up via the scoop under the engine. Added cold air can still come from the original intake. This is purely my opinion.

Each to there own... I love the roar of the ITG, and I question if taking the lid of the air box produces the same sound, or that the ITG reduces power. If nothing else, it clears up a lot of room in the engine bay.

If the car was faster do you not think that the hundreds of renault technicians would have left it open , chasing power on these engines is a waste of time if your after the noise then go ahead and remove the lid but i can quite believe that it will lose power

All entitled to opinions, just explaining what it felt like to me that's all :smile:

The reason the K-tec works, or any open cone for that matter, is down to the positioning of the open cone. Facing down where the old housing was, cold air is forced up via the scoop under the engine. Added cold air can still come from the original intake. This is purely my opinion.

I didn't even know there was a scoop under the engine O.O?

Removing the lid will slow air down and also create turbulence so I would be very surprised if there wasn't a drop in power. Keep the air at a high speed is vital.

Does anyone know what size filter would attach to the OE inlet hose? Or the Samco replacment OE hoses you can get? It will be ITG JC60/xx something??

I was thinking that instead of the above ITG AB65C airbox with 90deg pipe, use the AB65H with the 60deg pipe. Haven't got photoshop on this PC to mock it up, but google the EP3 ITG kit and think of that rotated, this will then only need a short piece of flexible hose to connect to the plastic end of the OE airfeed. Using the OE inlet hose seems the best solution because the other ITG setups I've seen generally use a 90deg bend of the TB which is not ideal.
@smoggy mark, can you still supply ITG stuff for a good price?

Well I got around to trial fitting, so far looking good :smile: More work to do but it'll look 'factory' when I'm finished.

1912016_10153012516314644_841058075284345091_n.jpg

Well just removed the lid for what was going to be a 10 mins drive home, just to test it. Drop of power and throttle response, stopped after 2 mins and put it back on. Was worth a try lol.