Airbox & Induction Noise

Ed Hall

Paid Member
Hi,

This topic has come up quite a bit over the years and for anyone with a 197/200 with the standard airbox you can kind of understand why. So I have a 197 with a standard airbox with an ITG panel filter. Initially when I first got mine it had a K&N Typhoon but the plastic pipe was cracked, so I bought a secondhand airbox and pipework and reinstated it. Partly I did this based on advice that in general they run better with the original airbox.

But lately I have been watching car vids on youtube, and one thing I feel the 197 lacks is that induction noise.

So my questions are:

Is there a way to improve the sound with the original airbox, without the car running poorly?

With an R3 airbox and it mapped (its already mapped) would this give me more induction noise?

Any thoughts or advice on the above would be appreciated,

Ed

I have a ktec induction kit on my 197 because I wanted to add a bit more drama to the driving experience, I also didn't want to ruin the driveability of it or anything. And to be honest it hasn't impacted the running of the car or anything! Still unmapped with an oreca exhaust and to be honest response does actually feel better especially when on it.

The noise is just unreal too

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I have modified the acoustic valve by cutting the acoustic valve itself, removing the motor and flap essentially turning it into an intake trumpet. That means you can blank the hose from the manifold to the vacuum solenoid using 4mm silicone blanks on the manifold attachment and connections on the solenoid itself. I removed the metal bracket which the solenoid sits on and hid the solenoid with wiring (dont disconnect it) in the battery box. With it, you get more intake noise as the intake is open throughout the rev range.