Immobiliser issue, car won’t start..

Bought the car for abit of a toy month or so ago, it’s been fine until last few days. At first I thought the battery was flat, so had it jumped from my brothers car fired up straight away, day after the car was fine started up no worries. Come to Friday and it won’t start, all the lights work, windows work fine all the fuel pump primes then when you press the start button the relays click, and then the red immobiliser light stays solid and the car doesn’t start.. not really clued up on Renault at the moment so a little stuck. Any help would be appreciated

Steve

what is the message on the display while the button is pressed and does the starter turn without the engine firing.

Doesn’t even try to fire up or turn over. Just hear a click of the replays and that’s it then on the display just acts as if it’s running etc with the mileage etc

You have a bad battery then if on the display if it said steering unlocked while holding the starter button then the fuse for the starter has gone probably a short that needs fixed first. Any work done to the car recently?

No, it’s just randomly stopped. But the charger for the car battery says it’s fine also trying to jump it from another car worked twice. Then hasn’t worked since

A knackered battery will look fully charged on a battery charger as the battery charger isn’t a battery tester proper

I’d try a new/different battery before anything else The fact it needs a charger says something is massively wrong

I've seen a battery fail but show 12Volts the sensor on the gearbox might be faulty and not telling the car to fire doing a test with the spark plug out checking for spark will be easy you can YouTube that if your not that clued in with the process.

I've seen a battery fail but show 12Volts the sensor on the gearbox might be faulty and not telling the car to fire doing a test with the spark plug out checking for spark will be easy you can YouTube that if your not that clued in with the process.
It doesn’t even turn over so testing like that won’t work sadly, a stand in battery would be my first test :thumb:

Well a battery wont fix it either if it will not start on jumper cables don't you think? if the starter with the jumper cables fitted turns the engine over so let's ask again like I did in post #2. stevswfc9 your a bit quite on this its getting info on the problem which is a little difficult so we both know and are able to help you, with the jumper cables on does the car try to start that is does the starter motor turn the engine over when the jumper cables are used. From this we have a good idea that the battery is bad as it will not turn the car over on it's own but the car can turn over using jump leads and the battery charger says the battery needs no more charge.

Well a battery wont fix it either if it will not start on jumper cables don't you think? if the starter with the jumper cables fitted turns the engine over so let's ask again like I did in post #2. stevswfc9 your a bit quite on this its getting info on the problem which is a little difficult so we both know and are able to help you, with the jumper cables on does the car try to start that is does the starter motor turn the engine over when the jumper cables are used. From this we have a good idea that the battery is bad as it will not turn the car over on it's own but the car can turn over using jump leads and the battery charger says the battery needs no more charge.
It did start on jumper cables...
At first I thought the battery was flat, so had it jumped from my brothers car fired up straight away

Wait to the guy answers and please, please , please read the post he said it worked a couple of times but not any more message #6.

Wait to the guy answers and please, please , please read the post he said it worked a couple of times but not any more message #6.
I agree we need more input...

My thinking...

if it was a dying sensor it wouldn’t have fired up initially on jumper cables if it was a sensor issue as the sensor doesn’t effect starter turning over, battery does...

And once a battery properly dies it will sap any current from jumping vehicle as it can sap any current from other vehicle and prevent starting...

Your correct we need to know if it’s stopped trying to crank or if it cranks and won’t fire after that... I am presuming it won’t even try to crank

You seem to take things very personally @turkie172 we are all trying to help the guy I’m not saying your wrong, but it’s also very easy to miss something in a skim read as we are all guilty of at times so I was just pointing out huni was thinking how I was

First thing to try is a new battery, easy for a dead battery to show 12v but not have enough current to fire the starter.
Another thing to try is put a jump lead from the battery negative terminal to the chassis or engine bay metal, this will earth the car, then try to start it. If it works you have a faulty earth connection - try the gearbox earth.
Final thing to try is testing the starter motor is getting the ignition signal and also voltage from the battery (if your battery is good).

Reactions: Dumdum
Your apology for not reading the post correctly resulting in a negative comment directed at me is vague but accepted. Please lets keep this on the subject I will not be responding to anything outside of the Steve's on going starting problem.

Tell you what Turk, you have done your best, the guy hasn’t replied from Saturday, just leave it to he comes back on this mate :smile:

My apologies I’ve been trying to figure out what’s been happening. Also busy with work etc. Basically, I’ve had a good working battery on. Did nothing still didn’t fire. It’s not even trying to. You can hear the fuel pump prime all the lights come up in the dash and it just doesn’t start. So I’ve tried a new battery or say a working one. It jumped on 2 occasions then after been stood the night worked no problems started every time, and then since Friday it won’t turn over won’t jump off another car. I’ve recently had two new keys programmed. But they both don’t work so would be a little strange for it to be the keys.

My apologies I’ve been trying to figure out what’s been happening. Also busy with work etc. Basically, I’ve had a good working battery on. Did nothing still didn’t fire. It’s not even trying to. You can hear the fuel pump prime all the lights come up in the dash and it just doesn’t start. So I’ve tried a new battery or say a working one. It jumped on 2 occasions then after been stood the night worked no problems started every time, and then since Friday it won’t turn over won’t jump off another car. I’ve recently had two new keys programmed. But they both don’t work so would be a little strange for it to be the keys.

I’d be checking engine/chassis earths etc, had a clutch or any work done/parts fitted of late? What you think @turkie172

Sounds a bit bad earthish to me... how it went downhill and won’t even turn over? Or maybe even starter...

Are you in Sheffield @stevswfc9 as your name suggests? I’m only at j28 M1 if you need a hand? And been auto electrical for 20yrs give or take in one way or another...

The car won’t crank, press the start button and nothing a few relays click and fuel pump goes that’s it

Are you sure it's not the starter clicking? That would indicate a dead battery. Brand new one is the only way to rule this out.
Other than that, check the fuses then get the voltage checked at the starter - to make sure it's getting a voltage signal and also voltage from the battery.