Car won't start, immobiliser playing up, new tdc sensor

About a couple of months ago the engine light came on then it turned out to be a camshaft sensor, replaced it and worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when I've taken it for an Air Con service.

A few days after the air con re-gas it just wouldn't start once I've finished work that day, called the AA and they reset the ECU, started first time, next day same thing happened so I disconnect the battery then tried starting but didn't start, waited a few minutes then tried again and started fine.

Two weeks passed and was working fine until today when it wouldn't start in the morning and later when I got home after work, tried checking for errors stored using a fault code reader but nothing came up, starter motor sounds just like before, there's also an electrical buzzing sound coming from the area near the air intake on the top-right of the engine once it fails to start, done a search for the part number located where the noise is coming from and turned out to be the throttle body, noise is probably just the fuel pump building up pressure, earlier today was lasting for up to 3 minutes then now only a few seconds before it clicks a couple of times and stop, see video http://www.flickr.com/photos/23222015@N08/9473499819/

Had a good search online but have no clue if could be starter motor, fuel pump or else, the battery is new, some people said it's related to the steering wheel not locked message which comes up once in a while, could not get it to lock last time I was in the car no matter what I did.

Booked to have it looked at my nearest dealership next Wednesday but if I can't get it started tomorrow I'll need get my local garage to come have a look first.

edit: just saw some recent posts, there seems to be a lot of people with similar problems recently, very strange all these Clio's having starting problems at the same time, no one actually found the cause of the issue, if mine starts on Wednesday then I'll take it to the garage but I bet they won't be able to replicate the problem.

Last edited:
listen for the fuel pump prime the system before you actually start the car...

also the tdc sensor is a major cause of non start - been plenty of them fail and reported on here if you did a search...

Ya go find the TDC sensor on the gear box. You can reach under the car if you know where it is and just move it a little a bit. That sorts mine out.

Its a stupid fault.

top dead centre sensor or crank sensor, think it some kind of magnetic sensor that senses the teeth of the crank. they can get bits of metal dust collect on the tip or the electrical plug to corrodes/gets ****ted up. just try removing clean the tip with some carb cleaner and wire whool, clean electrical contacts if required and i also use clean the area where it was bolted to as i wasnt sure sure if it required an earth.

the tdc sensor also does crank position as well - used in combination with the cam sensor it can work out exactly where no1 piston is and
optimise engine timing for all cylinders from the data - bit clever these modern motors :book:

AA came today, got in the car, locked the doors, unlocked the doors, inserted the card in the reader, started the car, working fine... as far as I remember when I was trying to start it a few days ago I kept getting the immobilizer light flashing while I had the start button pushed on, so the guy told me it should be a steady red light and it seems just a problem detecting the card, let's see it in a few weeks time if happens again.

Anyway so I took it for a spin to get some petrol and when I got there I couldn't get the petrol cap open, it seems the lock has failed :tongueout: just done a search and found pictures of the emergency release in the boot above the seat belt mechanism, after taking a few panels out I was able to get access to it but even when I try to pull it up it's stuck, well at least I already have an appointment with the garage tomorrow, just need to coast in neutral on the way there and I'll make it.

Last edited:
Sounds like the immobilzer all right but we thought my fault was the immobilzer yet it was the TDC.

Just keep it to mind.

Had the TDC sensor and the solenoid from the petrol flap replaced today at at total of £284 hopefully it's all fixed, learning from my mistakes, this is only my second car since I passed my test in 2011, should have renewed the warranty and still looking for good local garage near Brighton/Lewes/Eastbourne, can't keep paying dealer prices, just the parts were less than £100.

Thanks to foxspeed, pacenotes and ryan197 for your replies:smile:

Last edited:
no probs mates, the tdc sensor is a common non starter problem across the renault range, you will pick things up as you go.

just over 7 months after new crank shaft sensor was fitted, similar problem, won't start, first thing I've noticed this morning were the door lock buttons have stopped working since it wasn't used over the weekend (both sides) they've been working faultless before that and I just couldn't get them to work today so I've been using the one in the boot to lock the car.

had to call RAC to come have a look and as soon as I was demonstrating the problem the car started first time.

haven't tried my spare key yet, splashed some water at the door handles when I got home to see if helps tomorrow, since it seems to happen only on summer/dry months

can't figure out if the red light in the dash should stop blinking when I put the card on the slot and why the steering wheel didn't lock when it should

will try to make a guide of what it's supposed to do or not so I can get to the bottom of the problem

has anyone ever used WD40 in the lock buttons? any help is appreciated