Im considering selling up

Hi all,

I've had quite a lot of niggles with the 197 lately and having owned it for almost 18 months i am wanting something new.

Whilst i love the car and love to drive it - it does cost me a lot more than i had originally anticipated to run and am thinking of the future and looking at something else.

Have found a cracking Mini Cooper S for a good price. High mileage at 60k but car is £8k and i think will hold its value much better.....

What are your thoughts?

Woza.

fool...

haha no i got a cooper s and its alright, build is better, but i had a new gear box, clutch tyre baring things 8 new tyres all run flats and some1 drove into the back of it £1200 damage! and drove off the prat!

i paid a fortune for it
and i paid anouther fortune looking after it

tyres ware instantly and cost a fortune if you buy one change them over from runflats to normal! as run flats are pointless.

they do look good, but its more of a ladys car, if your going to get something bit cheaper with a few miles on try a 182 or old civic type r

my gf has a conv mini s works and thats had not many problems sept 2 new roofs but that was a recall thing...
but then shes a girl, if you drive it like it should be driven then you will have problems, as its owned by bmw parts cost an arm and a leg, and they treat you like shit unless its got pedagree and looks stunning, they always tried to sell me a new one despite mine being white on black look with 17" black allys and every extra going, think it was more gelously they had to drive round in shagged clubmen haha

but they are nice, just make sure your buying a well looked after one. and change the tires!

a cooper s is a hot though, will running costs be that much less?
especially will BMW's stupidily expensive servicing costs

If you are going to get rid (which you shouldn't :wink:), I wouldn't do it for a cooper s!

My best mate had one - he loved it to bits but as soon as it got past 40k it literally started falling apart. Eventually the gearbox gave in and spewed oil everywhere so he took it to the Car People and sold it, but thats a different story. When it is driven like its supposed to be the fuel economy is a couple of mpg less compared to the 197. You are still going to go through tires etc at the same rate. They are very quick and capable cars but its not going to work out any cheaper to swap.

On a side note they arent exactly practical either you cant fit much at all in the boot as its tiny and same story for room in the back seats - its a tight squeeze!

Only thing I could think to suggest is a Leon FR - much more room and still quick! Better mpg when your driving normally too!

I was in excactly the same position a couple of weeks ago, Take a look at my thread "nearly changed my car today" second page on general chat.

The old engine is a right dog and very low Mpg

the new turbo engine is much much better.

I don't see how a Clio can cost you a lot to run !!

Yeah, had a mini s on honeymoon - enough mirrors to satisfy four women at once. Lights that change colour inside, and as for that speedo, I just couldn't live with it lol!!!

Don't sell up :smile: