Ice

Anyone else struggling with the ice on the road?, main roads are fine but i can hardly move on my street because of the ice, i swear it took me 2 mins to go the 40 yards i needed to get from where my car was parked to the main road, i start in 2nd and hardly touch the power!!

My car goes nowhere, so now it stays in the garage lol! Had it out like two or three times and just leaving it.

I know the feeling mate, i do get places but its when i have to turn or something even on a slight slope thats me nackered.

Yeah I have been finding the same especially on any sort of incline! Make sure the TCS is on as this has helped me this past week, I have also used the cruise control to keep a constant speed once moving - when I have been shivering it was causing my foot to slip and cause wheelspin lol! Best thing to do is try and be as gentle as possible!

The continentals are awful on the slippery stuff!

Last edited:
TCS is always on in my car after i had a very big scare with it off.

Cruise control, i would use this but i just dont feel like im in control of the car 100% when in the snow, but i know the feeling about the wheelspin that happens too me aswel. But to be honest i had Toyo Proxes T1R's on the front and now i have the contientals on the front (i swapped the back to the front) and they are both very poor. But feel like theres more control with the Toyo's on the front!

Cheers guys, good to know its not only me, cant wait to get home tonight to have the same battle, not being very good when it comes to the technical stuff i presume the TCS is the same as the ESP?, if so i have tried it with that off and on, may get a large person to sit in the passenger seat to weigh the front down a bit!!

Cheers guys, good to know its not only me, cant wait to get home tonight to have the same battle, not being very good when it comes to the technical stuff i presume the TCS is the same as the ESP?, if so i have tried it with that off and on, may get a large person to sit in the passenger seat to weigh the front down a bit!!

Lol yeah big people could help! Failing all else they can get out and push!

Yeah ESP is the Electronic Stability Programme and is a cover all name for different aspects; Traction control prevents wheelspin, ASR is slide recovery etc.

We have snow too :001_rolleyes: , when i'm driving, the electronic is flashing like christmas tree :smile:

img3036c.jpg

havent had too much problems, ive had a few scary moments at junctions when ive looked in the rear view mirror and saw the car behind sliding towards the back of my car,

Can be a bit of a pig, but the way I found that works is to very slowly bring the clutch up with no throttle input at all letting the clutch give you momentum.

I did this today as I live on a hill, the amount of people who just sat there revving the tits of there car was unbelievable; I did the above and just went past them, you might have to dip it very quickly though if it starts to stutter.

Not had any crazy difficulties but a couple of "I'll try that again" moments while trying to get up the hill my street is on.

Nothing as bad as this guy though... Epic fail at 2.20 in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0FjntOZV58

That was funny :lol: He kerbed it a few times!

I have found the car ok in the main roads but the side streets with deep snow cars useless! Got stuck leaving my drive twice!

I always turn my TC off when taking off seems to help alot, them turn it back on when on the main roads

Went out in mine on a short journey on Tuesday. When I set off there wasnt a snow flake on the ground, within 10 minutes the road was covered. Never again, how I got the car home in one iece is a miracle. There was very little grip and it was sliding all over the place.

Fantastic cars but crap in the snow and ice.

My problem now is that it has only moved 3 times since 17th December and the battery hass gone flat on me twice. I've been starting and leaving ticking over for 20 minutes every day but the temperatures are just killing the charge. I'm gunna have to buy one of those starting packs :frown:

Is anyone else having the same problem???

havent had too much problems, ive had a few scary moments at junctions when ive looked in the rear view mirror and saw the car behind sliding towards the back of my car,

Which is exactly why my carbon diffuser is staying warmly in the garage!

Funnily i find on the compacted snow/ice the car is easier to manouver with the TCS off, otherwise everytime the wheels spin the engine nearly cuts off and the whole car shakes like it wants to stall.

I'm still waiting for my car back after the black ice car park/flower bed incident before Christmas...

I'd give my right arm to be driving it now instead of the Chevvy Kalos I have at the mo which does not feel particulary safe at all....still at least I have some wheels....(and hubby owes me BIG time....)

Fantastic cars but crap in the snow and ice.

:rolleyes:I disagree, all you need are some good snow or m+s tires, I have Hankooks W3
00 Ice Bear which are high performance tires and good for medium snow and excellent at lower temperatures, but they can also cope with heavy snow and ice. Car electronics can also help a lot, stabilizing car at higher speeds on snow when breaking. But I must say, 197 has very twitchy rear sometimes in bad weather conditions despite the electronic help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OADyEaUhw

My street was full of ice, but i think the council has run out of grit because they came yesterday and scattered chippings all over the street! So instead of taking my time because of ice I am now taking time so I dont get stone chips!!!:@

My street was full of ice, but i think the council has run out of grit because they came yesterday and scattered chippings all over the street! So instead of taking my time because of ice I am now taking time so I dont get stone chips!!!:@

Chippings!!, typical of the bloody Jacks!!, sorry pwg309 im a Llanelli Turk, bit of local rivalry

took mine out for the 1st time in over a week today. Started 1st time but my god is it crap in the slushy stuff. I need to go up a hill whichever way I go and both have roundabouts before them so you cant get a good run-up :worried:

Similar Thread Suggestions