i want rid now!!!!

haha not arguing pal!! ill have a pint of what your having by the typing! :wink: everyone is entitled to their opinion at the end of the day!

You are kidding yourself if you think an m3 costs the same to run!!

Far more to running cost than mpg!

If you bought and ran an m3 from new you would lose more money on it than the entire value of a new 200!

IMO Renaultsports are only costly to own new, once they are 3 years old(ish) their depriciation slows down loads. I ran a Clio Trophy for 9 months and lost £600 on it! And I bought a 2 year old 225 F1 and made £1650 on it when it got nicked 6 months later!

Yes they use a bit mire fuel than rivals but not much! I can get well over 400 miles to a tank( on a long run)

If you bought and ran an m3 from new you would lose more money on it than the entire value of a new 200!
Very true.

I once got an ex demo Audi A4 3.0 Quattro sport - retail cost when new (it was fully loaded) was £36k. I paid £26k for it (3 months old) and sold it (trade) within a year for £20k.

It was a very comfortable place to be and sounded great - but ultimately was a $hit drive.

At least the M3 is a good drive though :smiley:.

Pound per smile - the 200 is the best car I've ever had :smiley:

I could afford to spend 1000s a month on petrol but it would be stupid to on a car that is worth 6000
THE END

i've been quite quiet so far, but in all honesty, you sound like a complete dreamer.
think through what you want to do, your requirements, how much you want to spend. the ONLY way you will reduce running costs is if you find a more economical, cheaper to insure and service car.
a new 4.4 v8 m3, or 2.0 turbo tts are not going to better a rs 200 on mpg (tts might on a run) and you keep mentioning the value of the car. i think it's amazing that you can get one of these for 6k, i really do.
and service the ****ing thing!!

couple of sites to support MPG of both cars =

M3 - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=181&t=829375&mid=0 averaging sub 20, sometimes sub 15
http://car-emissions.com/car/410/BMW+3+Series+E90/E91/E92/E93+M3+Saloon official figure of 23.7 combined, so you could quite reasonably knock 3 mpg off the manufacturers guide.

TTS - http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Audi-TT-2.0-TFSI-272-S/232542/

as i guessed, slightly better manufacturers quoted mpg than the clio rs. real world, probably the same.

Last edited:
i've been quite quiet so far, but in all honesty, you sound like a complete dreamer.
think through what you want to do, your requirements, how much you want to spend. the ONLY way you will reduce running costs is if you find a more economical, cheaper to insure and service car.
a new 4.4 v8 m3, or 2.0 turbo tts are not going to better a rs 200 on mpg (tts might on a run) and you keep mentioning the value of the car. i think it's amazing that you can get one of these for 6k, i really do.
and service the ****ing thing!!

^
this

So many things here don't add up.

This type of car is a perfect weekend pleasure, no denying it.

Use it as your runabout and it'll burn a hole in your wallet the size of Dieppe. (Unless you have your own refinery or such like)

All of the cars you've mentioned as replacements are equally as questionable in relative terms.

Reading between the lines (or rather trying to ignore the various 'excuses') the OP just doesn't like the "Image" of the Clio.

Mind you going to a Beemer wont help :wink::smiley:

I've actually had an M3 before the Clio, and believe me the Clio is cheap in relation! Tyres were more, brake discs were more and servicing was wild! The main service cost £1200 main dealer. I had the SMG coupe, and if the gearbox went, you had to start putting family members on eBay!

Running the Clio is saving me loads, and the fun factor is better for me, as the M is quite a heavy car round town, it's just flippin mental when your on the motorway though!

the op is entitled to his opinion and so are others on here but keep it friendly !

as for my 2p worth....i am lucky mine is a weekend car - if i had to use it all the time i dont think i would enjoy it as much

as for running costs they are nowhere near the costs of bmw/audi /vw etc

The Clio can be a frustrating car espcially when it doesn't give you any value at the pumps and sits stubbornly below 25mpg.

I used to do a lot of miles in my R27 and even though it was affordable it used to frustrate me looking at the hundreds I was burning each month and the miles racking up.

Now I look at my 200 differently because I do bugger all miles (work close to home now) and don't have to clean/service/fill up half as much. It feels like I'm getting more value out of my car and I know I can sell it on with low miles etc.

Perhaps this is how the OP feels! Commuting is a nightmare these days :smile:

Last edited:
I can't make head or tail of this thread. Read it twice and dint know what it is you want.

All I will say is I bumped into the lad I bought my car off yesterday.

He was like you in saying the Clio was too loud, too thirsty, too poorly built and had a boy racer image.

He also said with the amount I have spent on this one I should have bought new which is probably right...

Anyway

I bought it. He bought a 3.2 TT cabrio. Has had it maybe 6 weeks and is selling it... Thirsty.

What does he want now? A Clio 200. Be carefully what you wish for.