hub carrier ball joint

my new hub came today so despite the torrential rain i decided to get it fitted.

i had the old one off a couple of days ago so was ready to just refit the new one

took it for a test drive and what a difference!

the steering feels tighter, the klunk when pulling away has gone and it generally just feels more solid at the front end

that together with the tie rods and track rod ends have transformed the car!

really pleased

my new hub came today so despite the torrential rain i decided to get it fitted.

i had the old one off a couple of days ago so was ready to just refit the new one

took it for a test drive and what a difference!

the steering feels tighter, the klunk when pulling away has gone and it generally just feels more solid at the front end

that together with the tie rods and track rod ends have transformed the car!

really pleased

Good job mate. :thumbsup: May be I will have to do the same action. What type of klunk do you think? I can hear clunk everytime I start the car and drive first few meters (mainly during first turn). Then, there is some clunk noise from right front wheel area everytime I push the throttle bit harder e.g. on 3rd gear and again when I get the throttle off (power off). I have not found the cause yet, but I will check my hub carrier ball joints properly now.

Btw. suppose bearings from Renault Sport (from X.85 cup catalogue) should be the same as original ones. Am I right, or any difference between them? Need to replace left´s side one.

i got a knock pulling away from the front right corner and also changing to 2nd. also going over speed bumps or taking the car off the drive.

also when going round left handers if i went over a bump it would knock too

thats all gone now

these are easy to check. just get the car up on jack, turn steering so you can get a good view from under tha car and rock wheel at 12 and 6 o clock position. mine had loads of play and was very noticeable

Ken - have you done the tie bars and track rod ends yet?

I forget, but weren't you using unipart track rod ends? Just wondered how you got on with them?

yep had the tie rods and ends done

genuine renault tie rods and unipart rod ends. theyre just the same as megane ones but only £16 compared to £40-odd for a genuine part.

i couldnt find pattern tie rods

the car feels transformed now. doesnt wander around the dead ahead position as much, bump steer is almost non existent and the steering feels much tighter and more precise.

They're for pretty much all modern renaults. Were listed as 197 and cross reference to dozens of other cars. Theyre a spot on match

this could have been worse! i did a megane 225 ph1 the other week - now theres a bit of engineering...:rolleyes:

I was just quoted £175 to change the ball joints, but that was just for the joint itself, not including a whole carrier.

Is that about right just for the small part itself? Almost sounds cheaper to get the whole arm new?