hub carrier ball joint

When my car was in at main dealers the mechanic said the ball joint on the hub carrier was knackered, not the lower arm one which I was first told

The mechanic today who did my wheel alignment said same thing.

Renault said I need a new hb carrier at about £190. The independent mechanic said. Should be able to change just the ball jOint. Same as any 'normal car'

So 2 questions;

Can the ball joint on the hub carrier ( the lower one which goes into the L shaped link bracket) be removed or is it a full new hub carrier?

Secondly, if I need Ti change the whole carrier how do you remove the bearing/hub assembly and driveshaft from the hub carrier?

If the ball can't be removed it's pretty piss poor design as far as future maintainance is concerned.

That's what I thought

So dies anyone know how to get the bearing/hub out of the hub carrier? Do I need a puller?

i see the hub carrier is attached to the bearing assembly by 4 bolts

i need a hub locking tool to get the castle nut off though

do you need a specific tool to get the hub off the driveshaft or should it come of easily?

this the one you're on about?
balljoint.png

if so r-sport sell it seperatly for the cup racers, i've used standard hubs with the cup racer EE points (L bracket bit)
so surely they are compatable...
quote to r-sport; 8200438088 see if they can give you a price..
looks like the top one is circliped in, not sure how that one is secured!! looks like it could be pressed in from the image below and looking at the collar from the image above. it is replacable, because why would they sell it as a separate part? and 2, how would they get it in there??

clionew042.jpg

cheers for that

those pictures are spot on mate thanks

could you send me that document from the top picture with the exploded diagram?

i think the joint that is worn on mine is the lower one on the hub carrier - the one that connects into the L-shaped bracket.

i think they are pressed into the hub carrier.

so do you thing the lower joint is available as a separate part?

Reactions: Lownds197
spot on thanks for the help lads

i can open that on my mac so will try in windows bootcamp.

looking at the diagram then maybe the lower ball joint can be changed without the whole carrier

ive found the part number;

8200438088 CLIO III LOWER FRONT UPRIGHT PIVOT £18.05

Went to main dealers and cant order that part. It's a non stock item. The mechanic said there is no reason why the ball joint can't be replaced instead of the whole hub carrier if I can get the part

Spinkey can you get hold of these?

spoke to R.Sport and he does have the ball joints individually but he said the hub carrier needs to be removed and bearing taken off it then heated up to get the old one out and new one in.

might be easier just to buy the whole carrier.

Ordered a hub carrier from twingogeeko. Had another look for myself under tha car today and it's well and truley knackered! The near side is fine and as
Far as I can tell so Are all the others on the off side.

Apparently the top ball joint is a straight forward swap but the bottom one is pressed in so needs heating up To get the ball joint in.

Thought it would it would Be easier to just bite the bullet and get the full part as I'm doing the job myself and don't have burning gear and doubt it would get hot enough in the oven!

Ordered a hub carrier from twingogeeko. Had another look for myself under tha car today and it's well and truley knackered! The near side is fine and as
Far as I can tell so Are all the others on the off side.

Apparently the top ball joint is a straight forward swap but the bottom one is pressed in so needs heating up To get the ball joint in.

Thought it would it would Be easier to just bite the bullet and get the full part as I'm doing the job myself and don't have burning gear and doubt it would get hot enough in the oven!

would of thought the oven would have been ample :bat:

If I needed A press or puller to get the old one out I would not be able to do the job myself so would have to use a garage so for the money I would have saved it's probably best with the dealer part.

If you have the gear then a separate ball joint would save you money but the bloke said they're pressed in and I do t have the tools for tHat. At least the whole carrier is just a straight swap.

got the same problem, both sides on mine need replacing, getting close 80,000 km service as well, must say spending 500 pounds parts and labour hurts my wallet but what can you do... always better to have a complete new part than take the risk of having someone overheating the hub while replacing the part,

i took my hub carrier off yesterday. the parts should be arriving from twingogeeko tomorrow hopefully so i should be back on the road tomorrow!

i went for the full hub carrier. apparently you can change the ball joints 1 time before having to renew the whole carrier. i decided just to go for the whole thing. its aluminium and i didnt want to take a chance for the sake of a few quid. i dont have a press etc and didint fancy doing it in a vice.

when i removed the old hub carrier the bottom joint was absolutely knackered. literally rattling around in its housing! the top one and the lower arm ones seem fine though thankfully.

if you can get the 2 fitted for £500 all in thats a bargain. its a pretty big job to replace them

the main problem is fighting rusted bolts. the bottom pinchbolt on mine had a rotten head so was easier to cut the ball joint pin to get access to it then drill it out and re-tap it. why they use a 8mm button head allen bolt on something as exposed as that is beyond me. it was obviously designed to never come off by the look of it