How to get a track day car to track....

iAndy

Platinum Member
Ok, not having cat B + E on my licence means I have to do a test to tow a twin axle car transporter behind my Jag, so thought about a A-Frame to tow with but apparently ya need the car that ya towing to be fully insure too :worried:

Anybody had any experience of this? Am wanting to get a 172 and strip it and use it for track only, but can't see point in taxing/moting a car and then insuring it. No where to store a big trailer & trailer hire places want cat B + E to tow their trailer, even thou maximum authorised mass is less than 3500kg!

Buy an old car transporter ?

Either that or try Green Light for your car insurance. I was going to trailer my car this year but the insurance was far to good. So now I can use it on a nice summers night too.

Pay me to move it, it's part of what we do. :smile:

Or see if you can get a really good deal on the insurance and just set it at limited miles and all the rest of it. But like you say then you need to keep it road legal and all that side of things adds up so it becomes an increasing expense rather than a cheap-ish toy...

We could even store it for you as well as transport it. :wink:

No worries, will see later then. I ain't contactable during the day on phone at moment but have dropped ya a pm with more details incase ya can do anything with that

How come BE isn't on your licence?

Back int day when we passed our tests it used to be an automatic addition, however it was changed a number of years back so that it wasnt automatically given out after a number of inexperienced drivers towing things caused numerous incidents.....

Back int day when we passed our tests it used to be an automatic addition, however it was changed a number of years back so that it wasnt automatically given out after a number of inexperienced drivers towing things caused numerous incidents.....

Bloody youths :001_rolleyes:

some are still doing supid things like towing at 70mph and using the third lane of the motorway :thumbdown:

Pffff bloody youth of today.

some are still doing supid things like towing at 70mph and using the third lane of the motorway :thumbdown:

Makes my blood boil seeing that. I always tow at 105 in the outside lane.

Bear in mind that some trackdays require the car to be roadworthy, think I've seen mention of MOT being required.

Doe's this work legally..... My mates got a traders policy... If he was to "buy" the clio and register it in his name.... therefore its on his traders policy, would I be legally insured through my 3rd party any other vehicle insurance to get it to track and back? Chances are its only gonna be for the 1st March outing and he will be in his M3 so if we got stopped we could say that its being driven by me to get it there so he can use both cars on the day :tongueout:

Anyone know if this would work?

After that I can get trailer test done and sorted to tow it :smile: