The High Mileage Track car

Dowling93

Paid Member
About a 1.5 years ago I picked up a Clio 197 with the intentions of slowly turning it into a track car. It'll be a few posts to build up to the current day so it might be a while
It's a Blue 2006 Clio 197 with 170k miles on it and a few rough edges for added bonus
PXL_20211214_204240364.jpg
Brought it to a trackday a few days later after a belt service and oil change.
PXL_20211217_115344954.jpg
Managed to warp the discs and it definitely needed better than standard discs and fluids. It was still a road legal car in Ireland so I didn't strip any interior yet as I needed to pass an NCT in the coming months. Next step was to drop it off to the mechanic for a once over on the suspension.

Last edited:
Once it was dropped off to the mechanic the calipers were rebuilt, new discs and pads I tried the ferodo ds3000 and godspeed discs. The calipers were already sprayed when I got them, not my choice
IMG-20220316-WA0002.jpg
On the suspension side, the most of the bushes were replaced on the hub carriers and new wishbones were also got. The bushes on the subframe were screwed and I couldn't get a part from Renault to match, luckily my auto parts guy figured out that the bushes from a Mexican dacia sandero also have the same dimensions and for perfectly! Also I had to get the flexis replaced and welded in new ones which seemed like a fun job!
IMG-20220616-WA0011.jpg

Had done a few trackdays fault free, installed some yellow speed coilovers and ran it on federal 595 rs which were a massive improvement over standard road tyres. I started tearing out some of the rear interior. It's a savagely fun car to drive and learning to get better as I went around one of our only suitable tracks in Ireland mondello park.
FB_IMG_1658406921475.jpg
Noticed at the end of the day my sump has started weeping, it seems the undertray had been hitting against the sump and began to wear into it. Seen as the car had 170k miles on it I also ordered a new oil pump chain and sprocket and got them changed also while we were at it.

IMG-20221209-WA0001.jpg
This quickly escalated and decided to sort the oil leaks from the cam cover and various other places. The mechanic also noticed that the housing on the oil filter was put back wrong at some point and managed to kink the water hose for the housing
IMG-20221209-WA0002.jpg
All the lovely cleaned up bits from the head
IMG-20221228-WA0014.jpgIMG-20230110-WA0011.jpg
Also decided to remove the air con while it was all stripped apart anyways. Some lasers and a few parts from other cars I free spinning pulley was put in and all ready for a trackday.
IMG-20230120-WA0013.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20230110-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20230110-WA0011.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 1
At this stage I needed to update the interior so I got a pair of Sparco grid bucket seats, omp steering wheel and a pure motorsport seat bracket along with a supreme motorsport version. I only ordered one supreme by mistake and they were out of stock when I went to order another.
It's gone well past its road legalness in Ireland so it was trailered to and from trackdays from now on
PXL_20230408_154918808.jpg
PXL_20230410_074923198.jpg
I also had managed to convince my friend to buy a Clio, who has since gone and sold it and wants to get a full racecar instead after trying one out.(The oil is not from our cars )

Looking good,i have done the same with brand new original discs after i bought it,warped after a few days during some spirited drive lol,did you find the Ferodo DS3000 to be noisy? We got the same bucket seats lol,they are a nice weight saving too.

I've warped 2 other sets too, I've added the duct3d cooling ducts and some piping which helped a lot. DS3000 weren't actually too bad on the road for me, the DS2500 were worse actually I'm currently running PBS pro race pads now seen as it's only a track car now. They wear down quicker than the ferodo but have pretty similar stopping power. Yeah they are comfortable too!

Reactions: Jakkehoop
At that above trackday the flexis in the manifold had broken so I went and bought the toyosports manifold and scorpion non res catback. My friend has a decat lying around so I also fitted that. It sound so much better and the crackle and pops on gear changes are an added bonus!
PXL_20230426_155242379.jpg
IMG-20230530-WA0006.jpg

Nearly caught up with all the modifications to the current day, probably have missed a few minor bits and pieces but nothing major. Back in late May I managed to do a 2.05 around our local track, which I think is pretty quick I think.

Next on the list was some doorcards and to lower the steering wheel a bit and add a spacer for a better driving position. I used spacers on the steering column nuts which were an absolute pain in the a** to do but worth it. The door cards came from trackcar door cards and the wheel spacer from BG racing.
PXL_20230812_145331539.jpg
PXL_20230825_151753149.jpg
Along with that I got a bit bored and removed the glovebox and a few other bits of unnecessary trim around the steering column too.

Ordered a half cage from JP Cages a while ago and got around to fitting it over the past week. Went for the option with weld in plates so passed it up to a mate up the road to weld in the plates for me.
PXL_20231020_174700252.jpg
As with getting stuff delivered from the UK there was the joys of customs but it was all worked out in the end.
Picked up a set of Sparco and rrs belts also. Used the existing seatbelt mounting point for one of the lap belts and just drilled into the exhaust tunnel and had a plate the other side for the other lap belt, was all pretty straightforward.
PXL_20231119_132801142.jpg
The finished product. Should help keep me much more secure than the standard seatbelt now

During the last track day I developed a miss fire. Pulled the coils and plugs and the coils looked a bit shit, especially the one nearest the vvt solenoid. All the plugs seemed healthy with no oil or odd wear which is a bonus I guess.
Seems like water has been pooling around that area and wearing down the o-ring Cleaned the plugs up and it was fine for a bit, still was missing.
1000020874.jpg
Ordered new plugs and 4 new coilpacks from Renault and managed to fit them, quick test up a 'private' road and all is good again!

Also took the opportunity to bleed the brakes and managed to notice something that wasn't supposed to be attached to the coilovers....
1000021545.jpg
I'd left the bloody Bungy cord from hanging up the caliper while doing the discs. It survived the trackday without causing any issues thankfully

Check the windscreen washer pipes your car does not have the under bonnet sound proofing and the pipes are exposed to heat and leak I've just done some work to a Japanese import Clio 200 and the pipes had turned to plasticine as you touch them they split. Anyway the pipes can dump washer fluid and condensation of the underside of the bonnet onto the top of the engine. Coil packs don't show up on error codes but the ignition system can show as higher knock signal average using the rstuner box as data logger. I was lucky to get a cheap genuine Renault parts supply and replaced the plugs, coil packs, map and bap sensors along with the upper engine cam sensor the engine felt lighter revving after this. Another problem I did have was the odd time you got what I would call a false rev limiter/ lower rev limit similar to launch control which turned out to be a front lambda short that only showed up while it happened and no stored fault code live logging displayed this while driving.

Reactions: Sean197
Check the windscreen washer pipes your car does not have the under bonnet sound proofing and the pipes are exposed to heat and leak I've just done some work to a Japanese import Clio 200 and the pipes had turned to plasticine as you touch them they split. Anyway the pipes can dump washer fluid and condensation of the underside of the bonnet onto the top of the engine. Coil packs don't show up on error codes but the ignition system can show as higher knock signal average using the rstuner box as data logger. I was lucky to get a cheap genuine Renault parts supply and replaced the plugs, coil packs, map and bap sensors along with the upper engine cam sensor the engine felt lighter revving after this. Another problem I did have was the odd time you got what I would call a false rev limiter/ lower rev limit similar to launch control which turned out to be a front lambda short that only showed up while it happened and no stored fault code live logging displayed this while driving.
Yeah it's definitely the washers, I've put some soundproofing I had lying around covering them and the pipes up for the mean time and we'll see how it goes. If not I'll just silicon the living hell out of them Replacing the coil packs and plugs worked a treat, some of them looked tatty anyways so no harm. Cheers for the advice!

Haven't updated this in a while as I haven't changed too much to the Clio in recent months. Did two more trackdays since the last update. Replaced the worn out PBS pads with a set of ferodo ds3000 I had laying around and my god they are much better. More expensive I know but they don't wear down anywhere near as quick as the PBS pads. Started to notice a slight reluctance to change gear smoothly after a few laps of pushing so I've went and ordered some gear oil. It hasn't been changed in a while so it should solve the issue!
_05A4634.jpg
As many times as I've now drove this track in anger I don't think I'll get bored of it. I may plan a few trips to the UK this year though, I'd love to do Cadwell and Oulton Park at some stage! I think I'll add some stiffness to the rear to try get some more rotation for the next trackday.
Plans for the year are:
Second set of wheels, braids or autec wizards
Diff (preferably gripper)
Rear wing purely for the looks
I will also need a new set of tyres soon and I'm sure it will need a few bushings done at some stage this year and a potential caliper rebuild as the dust boots are worn so there'll be money set aside for a few small bits like that.
_05A5484.jpg
Just over two years of ownership at this stage and absolutely loving the little blue baguette as a track toy!

Similar Thread Suggestions