How do I pop my 'gear linkage cables' back in..?

Is it an under the car job or something I can do from inside?

I've lost 5th and 6th, and made 1st and 2nd harder to get into so driving on the motorway in 4th was the best I could do till I got home. No signs of going what-so-ever but I was joining the m'way and shifted through the gears pretty quickly only to discover 5th was actually 3rd now.

The idea that a gear stick relies on cables is still madness to me, but if it's simple to fix and stop from happening again I'll feel a bit better. I've been searching but so far drawing blanks. Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Hi mate,

I had exactly the same issue as yourself in the past when running through the gears quickly. I took it to my local mechanic who fixed it in 10/20 minutes so i'm lead to believe that you should be able to fix/reattach the cables from under the bonnet but can't be 100% certain.

Reactions: Sibbers
I guess it must work like this...

If it popped off like that randomly, I wonder what’s to stop it happening again? Has yours been fine ever since?

I’m wondering what I’m gonna find, but I guess I’ll need to get the battery and surround out to have a look.

I’m wondering if it’s like this vid as it would make sense that I could still just about manage to get into 1st, 2nd and reverse...

Ok for future searches, it was simpler than the above videos suggest as the bit that popped out was a part that is held into a bit of gearbox, not the actual ball joint connection.

To remedy this, you need to:

Remove battery
Remove acoustic valve
Remove air filter and all related piping
Remove battery tray (at least partially - but if you do it all its easier)
Lean in and push it back into place

Mine was pretty secure once it was returned and I tried shifting through gears quickly to recreate the fault. It didn’t happen, so my theory is that it moves ever so slightly with each aggressive gear change until eventually it lets you down. I decided to employ the use of hose clips to reduce the changes of it happening again - not much pressure is required as it won’t need to resist much force. Just enough that it stays put.

FCDAC6B5-6A48-485B-94E6-A4FF6829FC5C.jpeg F754D346-BC71-4789-A547-FB67CB708642.jpeg 0CF3A190-91E0-4264-BE4C-16AF1E142FD6.jpeg F7F29702-56A2-4807-B0BA-08FDC963D5FB.jpeg 3DB87900-7D5A-4797-86AD-21C3E5E22697.jpeg C0249D83-969B-4459-8A69-596E2EA026AB.jpeg

Other good info for how to remove battery and airbox etc linked below:

https://clio197.net/threads/is-there-a-guide-to-fitting-a-itg-maxogen.43742/

And a helpful time lapse vid here:

Reactions: suj and Big Ben
Now that I’ve done the job, if you needed to fix this at the roadside - it’s possible.

If you can feel your way and your arms fit, then you can reach down and push either or both back into place. Put your arm in below the feed from the airbox to inlet plenum and feel around for a loose collar.

To make this easier, you could remove the top hose. You would need a 7mm socket or a flat headed screwdriver.

It’s a bit tricky but definitely possible. Hopefully seeing the pics will help you figure out where to feel around.

Reactions: Ichigo27 and suj
You are not the guy we had to do this for at Donington recently?
You can do it without removing anything, being a gynaecologist does help. HOWEVER, be very careful of the exhaust if you have driven it.
You can put a tie wrap round them too to stop it falling out. Being overly aggressive with gear changes is a common cause of this.

Nah that’s not me. I’m not familiar with this car at all, at least I wasn’t. Getting there now, but making all the errors a person who isn’t familiar would make. Battery tray removal was the bit that took the longest! No way I would have figured this out without having seen how it works tho.

Good tip about the hot exhaust.

BTW I wasn’t particularly aggressive, just swift with gear changes. :thumb:

I guess it must work like this...

If it popped off like that randomly, I wonder what’s to stop it happening again? Has yours been fine ever since?
Absolutely no issues since whatsoever thankfully. I think you're spot on when you say that if you repeatedly shift in a swift manner, it will just let go eventually. Glad you got it sorted out in the end :thumb:

Just wanted to say thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

You writing this post and illustrating it so well saved me big time when I was out yesterday nearly 200 miles from home with no breakdown cover.

Allowed me to pop it back in and used my shoe lace to hold it until i could use something more appropriate.

Not all heros wear capes!

Thanks to sibbers. Absolute legend.

I bought a 197 today and my linkage disconnected getting onto the ferry literally in the queue. I heard it and my gear change was like stirring soup. I’ve 200 miles to do tonight when I get off. Was bricking it.

Found this link on the crossing, popped the linkage back on while still on the ferry deck and I’m good to go.

If you are ever in Donegal I owe you a pint sir.

Another added thanks for this guidance. I managed to put the cable back in its clip and get all my gears back earlier today.

Didn’t remove anything but certainly couldn’t have done it without this guide.

Ahhh for the value of forums

thank you

Reactions: Sean197
Mine popped out in some sprite driving the other day - having done it before `i popped in back in with no issues and yesterday secured both cables with cable ties which mean it will never happen again.

Cable tie fitment (one for each linkage) was tricky but done in situ. I removed the air inlet pipe from airbag to throttle body to ease access. Definitely worth doing for the 2 minutes it took to remove/refit.

Reactions: Frank Perry
Ok for future searches, it was simpler than the above videos suggest as the bit that popped out was a part that is held into a bit of gearbox, not the actual ball joint connection.

To remedy this, you need to:

Remove battery
Remove acoustic valve
Remove air filter and all related piping
Remove battery tray (at least partially - but if you do it all its easier)
Lean in and push it back into place

Mine was pretty secure once it was returned and I tried shifting through gears quickly to recreate the fault. It didn’t happen, so my theory is that it moves ever so slightly with each aggressive gear change until eventually it lets you down. I decided to employ the use of hose clips to reduce the changes of it happening again - not much pressure is required as it won’t need to resist much force. Just enough that it stays put.

View attachment 131688 View attachment 131689 View attachment 131690 View attachment 131691 View attachment 131692 View attachment 131693

Other good info for how to remove battery and airbox etc linked below:

https://clio197.net/threads/is-there-a-guide-to-fitting-a-itg-maxogen.43742/

And a helpful time lapse vid here:
I have this exact problem but the opposite. When its popped back in i lose 5th and 6th but when its out they are there? Anyone know why?