Hi from Oz

Really nice car, how have you found the ultra stuff as I'm not convinced tbh. Also where did you secure the harness point for the belts. I know ones on the harness bar but where's the second one. Any pics?

Just read your thread, and I am amazed,what you have done and reached with your car, quality!!!!

Have you made your decision on the diff?
Would you pls share your experience with it, because my next mod will be this one, for this season!

I have a 197, using it mainly on trackdays at hungaroring (f1 track), slovakiaring.
my mods are similar to yours:ultra racing strut bars front-back, good ridge brake lines, ferodo ds3000 pads, Toyo r888, adjustable top mounts by Simo with 1.2 negative camber in front, Proex exhaust only after the mid silencer

Thanks for that.
Sorry but I still havn't installed the diff, Iv'e been waiting for the gearbox or clutch to let go but the damn thing just keeps copping the on-track punishment without an issue :lol:.

I have decided to go for the Quaiffe as it offers what I want/need for track & road use without the drawbacks of the Gripper.
I'm sure the Gripper is a better proposition for some but for my situation I prefer the Quaiffe.

I bought the same full river hc20 battery on eBay, will arrive on the 19th:smile:
what a simple idea is yours Steve about how to fit it, hat off!

Would you pls share how much cost you the quaiffe? Is there a certain type of quaiffe for the 197? For the installation am I right it needs to remove the engine, to reach the gearbox and install the diff?

Really nice car, how have you found the ultra stuff as I'm not convinced tbh. Also where did you secure the harness point for the belts. I know ones on the harness bar but where's the second one. Any pics?

Cheers.
Yes i'm very dubious about all strut braces in general. They are way over hyped imo & offer very small improvements at best.
My impressions regarding the Ultra stuff on the Clio3;
- the rear sway bar is an excellent addition that provides more lift off oversteer (which I wanted).
- the rear brace I installed entirely as a mounting point for my harnesses (prior to fitting a harness bar).
- the lower front brace is a slight improvement in stiffness over the oem steel plate it replaces.
- the front strut brace does very little as the strut towers are already tied to the bulkhead, cornering does appear to be slightly improved on long radius turns as the car holds its line better.
My car also has all the Vibra technics mounts & the adjustable Powerflex bushes so perhaps on a standard car it may be different result ?.

The clip-in harnesses are attached to I-bolts that are bolted through the floorpan with approved reinforcing plates fitted. The lap belt I-bolts are bolted just behind the rear of the seat rails. The crotch belt I-bolts are bolted under the seat squab about mid way along the seat rails.

Last edited:
Would you pls share how much cost you the quaiffe? Is there a certain type of quaiffe for the 197? For the installation am I right it needs to remove the engine, to reach the gearbox and install the diff?

I am in Australia so with Freight it's about $1200 Australian dollars for the diff. But there is also the option of fitting a new clutch assy & lightened flywheel whilst the box is out (which I will likely do), then there are small bits like the slave cylinder etc.
Yes there is a particular model made for the 197/200.
You have to remove & disassemble the gearbox to fit it which is likely to be a similar labour cost to the diff itself.
I factored in a total of about $3000 Australian for the complete job (I work in the motor trade).

Cheers.
Yes i'm very dubious about all strut braces in general. They are way over hyped imo & offer very small improvements at best.
My impressions regarding the Ultra stuff on the Clio3;
- the rear sway bar is an excellent addition that provides more lift off oversteer (which I wanted).
- the rear brace I installed entirely as a mounting point for my harnesses (prior to fitting a harness bar).
- the lower front brace is a slight improvement in stiffness over the oem steel plate it replaces.
- the front strut brace does very little as the strut towers are already tied to the bulkhead, cornering does appear to be slightly improved on long radius turns as the car holds its line better.
My car also has all the Vibra technics mounts & the adjustable Powerflex bushes so perhaps on a standard car it may be different result ?.

The clip-in harnesses are attached to I-bolts that are bolted through the floorpan with approved reinforcing plates fitted. The lap belt I-bolts are bolted just behind the rear of the seat rails. The crotch belt I-bolts are bolted under the seat squab about mid way along the seat rails.

Thanks. I think the problem bolting stuff on is always difficult to truly assess as the gains are in context of the sum of the other parts already fitted.

Did you have to remove the seat to fit the I-bolt in the floor pan?

Had the car wheel aligned today with the Powerflex adjustable camber & caster bushes fitted in preparation for tomorrows day at the track...

Ended up with 1.2 degrees neg camber.
Initial turn-in has definitely improved & the anti-lift aspect (I was dubious about this) also seems to have improved how hard the car launches.

It's a fairly big job installing these bushes but if you track your car regularly you will certainly appreciate the benefits.

I wonder if you can help regards the castor bush & the position that you set at, was the bush hole more towards the centre of the car?, giving more +ve castor or the set furthest away = less positive castor than original.

Ignore this I've just now read another roost with all the details on!!

Last edited:
Just a couple of small mods this week...Moved the catch can to a more temperature friendly position (it was getting too hot) & fitted an Akrapovic branded brake master cylinder sock.

IMG_2477_zpsoymph6de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2483_zpsxtg1uucs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Steve,

catch can questions,
1) the second pipe is that from the gearbox breather?
2) How did you plug the manifold port - which originally the cam breathe ripe went into?

EDIT - Ignore the above, just sussed that you've used the manifold port as the breather for the catch pot.....but why didn't you get a breather catch pot, like this one and plugged the manifold?

ian

Last edited:
That is the best place to put the tank, however mine was too big and it wouldn't fit there. Surprised to see that you are actually returning the fumes in the induction, I've vented mine in the air (green people can kill me).

May I ask, why that sock around the brake fluid container?

Steve,

catch can questions,
1) the second pipe is that from the gearbox breather?
2) How did you plug the manifold port - which originally the cam breathe ripe went into?

EDIT - Ignore the above, just sussed that you've used the manifold port as the breather for the catch pot.....but why didn't you get a breather catch pot, like this one and plugged the manifold?

ian

Im using my catch can as an oil/air separator, it's fitted with a filter material inside it (similar to brillo pad) which pulls the oil from the air & then recirculates the clean air back into the engine.
Catch cans that are vented into the atmosphere like in your link are illegal here.

That is the best place to put the tank, however mine was too big and it wouldn't fit there. Surprised to see that you are actually returning the fumes in the induction, I've vented mine in the air (green people can kill me).

May I ask, why that sock around the brake fluid container?

Re the catch can, see post above.

Brake fluid sock simply helps keep the brake fluid from absorbing heat from the headers.

Last edited:
Yep, aside from the lower torque link its the most notable mount change, more so than engine mount or gearbox mount. Very surprised at the improvement. Finally stopped the headers from hitting the subframe when launching the car hard. Simple 10 minute job too.

Car's looking good as always Steve. With your UR tower brace, how did you go with NVH with it?
Since I put mine in I've had a vibration buzzing from the scuttle tray area which I'm still yet to properly identify and sort. I can't work out if it's the actual scuttle, the strut caps, the bit of plastic which sits around the middle of the windscreen between the brace and glass, or something else completely? I'm looking to pull it apart again this weekend to try and sort it an any thoughts would be appreciated. :smile:
Cheers.

Thanks Trent, sorry but its a bit hard to isolate any particular buzzing in my car these days...its just too bloody loud.
Cant say I noticed any new noises when I fitted the tower brace but that doesn't mean its not making any :lol2:.
I'd probably start with the white clips that hold the plastic cover in place, good luck with it.

Trent; I listened closely for noises today & there are rattles/buzzing coming from the rhs A-pillar, the steering column shroud, the lhs B-pillar, the front of the console & the hatch door.
I just turned the stereo up & blipped the throttle, the noises seemed to go away after that :lol2:.
I'd say your doing pretty well with just the cowl cover buzzing mate :d.