Hi from Oz

Really? Was about to get one of these. The instructions make it look kind of clear except the exact method of removing the top cable off.

Yep the instructions look easy but they show the install being done with the gearbox out of the car.
With the gearbox out I have no doubt it would be a snap but with the gearbox in the car its a different story.

Cable simply pops off.
The problem is in removing the roll pins to remove the oem shift.
The only way to do it is to jack the gearbox up & remove the gearbox mount so you can punch the roll pin through from the front.

Install took me about 3 hours all up.
New shift throw is very nice.

Last edited:
Wow what a b*tch. If it took you 3 hours it would take me all day!

Nice to hear it's good though. It seems very reasonably priced so I'll probably still get it.

very curious what you think of them. steve, if it's not too much trouble, could you do a little review of all the semis you've used so far? thanks.

Will do in a few weeks once ive given them a good run. Not sure if my findings will be as applicable to your climate & circumstances but i'm happy to give it a go.

Wow what a b*tch. If it took you 3 hours it would take me all day!

Nice to hear it's good though. It seems very reasonably priced so I'll probably still get it.

Yep, despite the install difficulties it is very well made & a nice mod.
I've only tried it briefly on the road & yet to try it on track but so far so good.

Is it a reasonable change in distance/feel? Can't say I ever thought the shift throw in the 200 was that long or bad.

I know they say short shifters may cause premature synchro wear but given your competing and you'll be rev matching etc that shouldn't be an issue.

On a daily driveyou'dr you'd want to be careful how you drive it since the synchros in our car don't have a great rep to begin with.

Cheers,
- Sent via TapaTalk

Is it a reasonable change in distance/feel? Can't say I ever thought the shift throw in the 200 was that long or bad.

I know they say short shifters may cause premature synchro wear but given your competing and you'll be rev matching etc that shouldn't be an issue.

On a daily driveyou'dr you'd want to be careful how you drive it since the synchros in our car don't have a great rep to begin with.

Cheers,
- Sent via TapaTalk

The add says its a 30% reduction & that feels about right, doesn't feel artificial or too short & still feels oem if you know what I mean.
After several years racing the car regularly Ive never had any issue with synchros or a clutch & when removed recently to fit Quaife the gearbox innards were in excellent condition so i'm not the slightest bit concerned about wear.
Not sure who exactly you are refering to saying it will cause synchro wear because as far as I'm aware this is the first short shift available for our cars so where are 'they' getting feedback from to state that.
For the record I had a short shift on my JCW Mini, on my Sti & on my Type R & none caused any issues at all, which is probably more first hand experience than any of the armchair experts your refering too.
If you can drive a car without crunching gears or missing a gear your probably going to be ok, if not your probably going to have issues. Whether you have a short shift or not is not going to change that.
Sorry but I get so sick of negative comments from 'google experts' that have no real world experience, reminds me of a certain OZRS site which is absolutely full of would be if they could be experts.

Last edited:
I was more referring to a common perception/quote in regards to short shifters in general (not the clio). I've read certain things debunking this while others maintain it.

I had a 40% reduction kit in my R32 and it was great and never had an issue. Stock it had a ridiculously long throw with an awful two stage engagement feel to it. The short shift fixed that right up. Was easy to fit too. Shame this one sounds a right pig to do.

Cheers,
- Sent via TapaTalk

Last edited:
Some debate over these, but being as I'm assuming yours is not a daily drive (correct me if mistaken) its not going to be getting as much daily wear that someone who uses the car day to day is going to give it... Hope it works out!

Hey Steve.
How have you found the oil catch can over the years, does it collect much? I've noticed that my breather return line is pretty nastyvafter 84k kms, so was thinking maybe a catch can might be the go. Do you still use the original one you got (page 2 of the thread)? I've had a look and they seem to be available on eBay for about $50. Lastly when you had it up near the firewall prior to the air con delete did you manage to find something existing to mount it to or did you make new holes for mounting?
Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
Hey Steve.
How have you found the oil catch can over the years, does it collect much? I've noticed that my breather return line is pretty nastyvafter 84k kms, so was thinking maybe a catch can might be the go. Do you still use the original one you got (page 2 of the thread)? I've had a look and they seem to be available on eBay for about $50. Lastly when you had it up near the firewall prior to the air con delete did you manage to find something existing to mount it to or did you make new holes for mounting?
Cheers in advance.

Hey,
Yep catch can collects a surprising amount for an N/A engine, I empty it 1-2 times a year.
The sight tube started leaking on mine so I removed it & fitted some blanking plugs in place.
I also filled it with steel wool material to catch the excess suspended oil before its returned.
Be sure to get some decent hose as the standard clear stuff is rubbish & thread tape the hose connections into the can too.
I found it was getting much too hot for my liking on the firewall so I moved it. It was bolted to something solid with an angle bracket I made up (cant remember where exactly sorry).
Its much better positioned where it is now imo.

IMG_3034.JPG

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Should I sell my Liquid Yellow 2012 Rs200 and get a White 2015 Rs200?

What do you suggest.

Sent from my iPhone6s+ using Tapatalk

Hey,
Yep catch can collects a surprising amount for an N/A engine, I empty it 1-2 times a year.
The sight tube started leaking on mine so I removed it & fitted some blanking plugs in place.
I also filled it with steel wool material to catch the excess suspended oil before its returned.
Be sure to get some decent hose as the standard clear stuff is rubbish & thread tape the hose connections into the can too.
I found it was getting much too hot for my liking on the firewall so I moved it. It was bolted to something solid with an angle bracket I made up (cant remember where exactly sorry).
Its much better positioned where it is now imo.
Cheers. Ordered myself one. I had a poke around the engine bay this morning. Think I can see a bolt which comes down from underneath the scuttle tray which would work for the firewall location. Can see a point over near all the aircon pipes too but will need to see how that position goes as it may not fit there as the air con will remain.

Also ordered an m-tech short shifter too, will be fun to see how that goes. Did you happen to try the trick for roll pins where you use a small c/g clamp with a hex bit socket at one end and an empty socket socket to push it through or does the clearance and/or angle completely eliminate that option as well?

Cheers. Ordered myself one. I had a poke around the engine bay this morning. Think I can see a bolt which comes down from underneath the scuttle tray which would work for the firewall location. Can see a point over near all the aircon pipes too but will need to see how that position goes as it may not fit there as the air con will remain.

Also ordered an m-tech short shifter too, will be fun to see how that goes. Did you happen to try the trick for roll pins where you use a small c/g clamp with a hex bit socket at one end and an empty socket socket to push it through or does the clearance and/or angle completely eliminate that option as well?

Yep tried using a g-clamp & an adjustable f-clamp but you need more leverage/room, the easiest way is to just remove the gearbox mount & punch it out.

Last edited:
No problem Travis, my Clio build thread is pretty much finished now anyway...

A new addition arrived today (see below)...

Will be keeping the 200 till end of 2016 race season then I might look at moving it on (if the right person enquires).
The 275R will then step up as rally/race car once its kitted accordingly.

50 of the 250 that Renault built came to Australia & this particular car is 1 of only 2 that came to Australia in Ring record spec... ie no air con, no stereo, no satnav/link system, plus a few other detail differences, so it's ideal for my needs.

Note; This thread & its content is intended for the great people of the 'Clio197.net' community & I hope to continue to contribute to this forum despite moving to the dark side (Megane ownership) :smiley:.
For those on here from Aus please do me the courtesy of not discussing its content amongst the vile community that exists on the OZRS forum. Cheers.

IMG_3194.JPG

Last edited: