Hey ho, it's off to Snetterton we go - review added 11/10

Well, first track day in the 200 with less than 400 miles under its belt!..

Be good fun to see how it goes, after having a brake crisis earlier this week I've fixed that weak link and I'm now 100% happy as I can be.

Basically I gave them a testing, realised the Brembo pads are garbage and have swapped them for Pagid RS5s and some RBF600 fluid. Soooo much more feel, power and confidence in them now!

Sticky tyres in the boot and ready to go.

Race report on Saturday when I'm back.

Last edited:
have fun and dont bin it !! I will be starting next year hopefully :smile:

Enjoy mate. Comparison between the 200 and Golf would be great when you get back. Cornering speeds, how the car felt in comparison etc. Have a great time!!!

Well I got my passenger ride and having changed my pants and recovered what a wicked time! Mikes got some crazy smooth driving skills and the clio was so composed, Although dont think my excess bulk did the inline speed any favours lol!

PEte

T'was good!

Track is good and was my first time there, no top 5 but the latter half of the lap is very technical and requires big balls, so it kept us entertained for the day. Weather was dry, etiquette was perfect as usual and day's flow was spot on, usual Circuit Days well run event.

A048s were great. Mediums set at 26PSI cold all round, virtually no wear too, I think mine came back with more rubber!

Clutter is 99% perfect, absolutely neutral and if you're smooth it just 4 wheel drifts past the limit and you bring it back on the throttle. Practically telegraphs its intentions.

As the big boys packed up at the end of the day and it was quieter, I messed about a bit and got it out of shape. Back comes round nicely, very easy to save and it is stupidly hard to induce understeer unless you go in like a complete idiot.

Problems:

Dives a bit under hard braking which makes the back squirm and you have to be brave if you're trail braking and trust it'll go where you point it, but then the Pagid RS5s are a huge step up from the standard pads, so kind of to be expected. No fade whatsoever - ace!

Could do with a touch more camber on the front to get the best from the tyres. Nothing a shim kit from the Cup race cars and a geo I had planned to do before won't sort out. Will be done for Oulton.

Worst though, there's little flow to the airbox, so it heat soaks quite badly - was really noticeable after 10-15 minutes or so on track and my terminal speed coming into the bridge on the back straight was dropping all the time. I need to run some ducting to the inlet ASAP. You can also tell it is still very tight, another Cup came past me on the straight, which was no doubt a combination of the heat and newness... so it'll get better with time and effort.

As a whole though, with the brakes sorted and a few minor tweaks it needs nothing. Sure I could throw thousands at suspension and cams etc, but what for? Being a few seconds faster a lap?? Pointless.

It's a really fun out-of-the-box car and it can keep up with some bigger boys toys as it is. I'll spend my modding money on track days and fuel instead!

Oulton on the 30th will be the real test, as I know the track and can compare it to the Golf. Initial thoughts though, changes direction a million times better and is just as much fun for a lot less money and effort.

NLP_9752.jpg
NLP_9426.jpg
NLP_9733.jpg

Last edited:
Does look like it could benefit from some more camber. Sounds like you had fun though so that's the main thing :smile:

Can I ask what you found lacking in the standard brake setup? Lack of feel and/or fade?

Good to meet you Mike :smile:

Much fun was had on friday :smile:

Coming out the s's i had a prefect 4 wheel drift on setting it up prefect for the corner

My sum up from the day: Not the best track but still fun, A048'S make R888 look like budget tyres, Maybe ARB's??, My brakes are sh*t and totally argree with the heat soak .

Feel mostly, Nath, but they will fade if you push them and I'm a late/hard braker so demand a bit of confidence in them to say the least!

Hey Jimmy! Yeah, ace day. ARBs had been suggested as an upgrade, seems most favour the R3s set up.

Last edited:
Agree entirely. But the amount of people that think they are perfectly capable brakes in standard form is a bit of a joke.

Depends what you're used to I guess?

If you're young and this is your first fast car to replace the 1.1 s***box you learnt to drive in, then they'll feel epic. If you've had man-brakes, they feel like cheese pads and bottle top discs.

What's important though is they can be made good quite easily.

Sorry Jimmy, the R3 is the Clio rally car.

You can lift the entire tarmac damper/spring set up including ARBs and adjustable topmounts for around £1700. Much better as a viable set up for a road/track car than the Cup Racer kit, and IMO better than going aftermarket too.

600_00159P.ClioR3_tcm2-42230.jpg

Sounds like you had a good time, really want to get mine on a track at some point but am scared of binning it

Agree with the brakes, got carbone lorraine pads on mine but desperately need to upgrade the fluid as this will boil if you're heavy on them

The car is only as fast as you make it go, and unless you remove your brain, then self preservation will keep you shiney side up!

Still, I always insure mine on track, just in case!

Full day comes in just under £100. But the excess tends to be pretty high at around £1500. Still better than binning it though.

Similar Thread Suggestions