Help with Potential Nurburgring Trip

So can I summaries what I THINK is right about the TF days.

• The car needs to be insured for every driver because it's effectively a normal German road.
  • The insurance will not cover you for any damage on the 'ring because it's UK insurance. They will pay the claim for any 3rd Party, but will aim to claim it back from you in the end.
  • The car needs to be fully road legal, I.E. MOT'd and taxed.
  • If you seriously mess up and damage the track, you could be hit with the repair bill.

So the next question then, can I take an uninsured car on a UK tack day?

So the next question then, can I take an uninsured car on a UK tack day?

Yes.

Completely different kettle of fish. You must insure the car to drive it there but you are under no obligation to insure your car for track use in the UK. Over here track insurance covers ONLY yourself and your vehicle, it accpets no third party liabilty. So if you take a £200 sh!tter and smash a Veyron up but you're insured and he isn't then you'll get a payout but Mr.Veyron is up sh!t creek. He has no legal right to pursue an insurance claim against you and the TDOs and tracks make this very clear that they offer no such liability cover either. However, wether Mr.Veyron could pursue you in a private court is a grey area, but he will have signed a declaration prior to going on track to accept that ''Motorsport Is Dangerous'' so basically he has no leg to stand on unless he could prove that you deliberately aimed your sh!tter at his overpriced bag of VAG.

Driving car to track. Needs road insurance.

Trailering car to track. No obligation.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Not that i wish to get involved again but here is an example of what to look for in your policy documents to see if its excluded .

From my schedule

What is not covered

1. Excluded uses and excluded drivers
We will not cover any liability, loss or damage
arising while any vehicle covered by this
insurance is being:

1.2 used on the Nurburgring Nordschleife or
any race track, racing circuit or prepared
course unless you have told us about this
and we have agreed to provide cover; or
at person is accompanied by a full
licence holder aged 21 years or over and
the accompanying full licence holder has
held a full driving licence for at least 3
years;

As a note on the insurance front, I know for fact that my documents specifically state the cover is not valid on the nurburgring. It actually names the track in the documents. I would assume most people's cover is the same.

Webby, did you go during TF and just risk losing your 200? What did they check when you got there i.e. documents and car?

Don't worry mate it's simple!

On a TF:

Forget insurance on a TF. Yes EU law states they have to provide you with third party, but so far no one has been successful.
If you go on a tourist day you will do so without insurance. If you crash, then you will not be covered to repair your car. Or someone you crash into, or for track closure fees and Armco costs. And let's not even talk about the possibility of you getting sued for injuring someone else.

Even if you could get insurance as in a trackday style, you're still looking at a huge excess.

And this is still true if you rent a car on a TF. For example Rent4ring have a £2k excess.

I rented a Swift stage 2 this year and loved every minute of it. If I had the cash, i'd def. look at a private TD with a rented car or with my own insured car. But either way, there'd still be some excess. This is not a Poor man's hobby!

Give me a call if you want any more info!

How about speaking to RSR or Rent for Ring and asking if it would be possible to take a car and insure x amount of people for it. overall i think it would work out cheaper and your mates would have a track spec'd car to drive. Just a proposition that maybe worth looking into...

Not a bad price for the Swift actually, wouldn't mind going for that. I was expecting worse. Was it just that price then Webby?

I'm not certain Arran. I did the standard half day TF in the Swift Stage 2. So if that price is that, you'll have a bargain. I think the first tank of fuel is free, but you will need extra money to fill up throughout the day.

Dale is excellent though. You won't go wrong by him so drop him a line with any questions. I even heard that he's got his own accommodation for rent on the R4R premises. Otherwise I'd go with Eddy's place, or try the Pistenkaulse. Stay there and you'll have constant access to the best Steak on the Stone and Bitburgers going :smile:

Sounds good! Think I would go for 4 laps in the stage 2 Swift. Need to get together with my mates and seriously think about it all.

Don't book the car for the first morning you get there.
Go have a walk around first as I found it's a great way to explore the circuit and observe how other drivers are taking corners (do they brake? where? what line do they take?) I walked round to the Carousel on the Saturday and that walk really helped me frame up that corner and the series of corners following it.

But overall - listen to Dale's briefing. He gives some very good common sense advice .

So I guess this means you're now organising the 197.net ring trip next year ;-)

I'm going to put this back in because i think it needs to be in here.

If english insurance did not cover the ring, do you think the germans would let you onto the 'Toll road?'

They'd have a field day pulling the english over after a lap and asking to see your papers.

You have to have your documents with you whilst traveling abroad.

My insurance states 'not covered on nurburgring nordschleife'

So if your insurance doesn't say that, do you presume you're covered?

I'm going to put this back in because i think it needs to be in here.

If english insurance did not cover the ring, do you think the germans would let you onto the 'Toll road?'

They'd have a field day pulling the english over after a lap and asking to see your papers.

You have to have your documents with you whilst traveling abroad.

You are covered third party only, even if your insurance states 'does not cover nordschleife', but expect them to try recover all of it back from you.

There is a few companies who cover Trackdays, generally only if ATDO registered. Iirc there is also a couple who will cover touristenfahrten. I'm pretty sure Competition car insurance do, I'd have to get on my laptop to check my lists.

I doubt we'll be taking our own car now.

I contacted the guy (Dale) from the company mentioned above and he says if there's 8 of us we'd need a car per 2 people. He also said that the price will go up a fair bit next year. I wanted try and get something booked up before the start of the year, but I know I'll have to wait for the Ring to release the dates anyway.

Still considering buying a track car and going in this country on a few circuits. Been talking to a few of my mates briefly about what car to buy.

A few suggestions have been thrown about, from me, Clio 172.
From a mate who has owned 2 MGs and a Rover, suggests an MG F
Another suggestion from me is an MX-5.
A mate also put a Fiesta Zetec-S in the mix.

Out of them all, I think the 172 is the best, but what do you guys think? Be honest.

Circa £1k budget.

Ford Puma 1.7, cracking all rounder, cheap to run and insure and can be picked up for under £1,000 now. :wink:

Just searched for a 106 gti on Auto Trader, came back with 2 results nationally! Rare as rocking horse poop!

Any other suggestions?