Help with Potential Nurburgring Trip

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
I'm hoping there will be someone on here that's got a good knowledge of the Nurburgring.

I'm seriously considering a rather extravagant stag do and at the same time ticking off one of the 10 things to do before you die, by going to the 'ring and a driving a few laps with my mates!

No my original plan was to buy a cheap 172 (you can pick them up for circa £1k now), hire a minibus with a tow bar and a car trailer, tow the thing to the ring with the lads and us all having a go round the it. I was going keep the car SORN and uninsured for driving.

Now what I want to know is, after doing a little bit of research, it would appear that if I wanted to drive at a time when it is Touristfahrten, the car needs to have a full MOT and insurance. But does that mean it has to be insured for every driver, or just for the car? Or am I best going at a different time?

What did the guys who have been before do about insurance?
Where is the best place to get more information? The Nurburgring website is a bit confusing!

I'd plan to do one or two track days in the UK to get used to the car and find out any weaknesses etc. There will be about 7 of us driving it, so I need to make sure it'll be ok for at least 7 laps.

Taking my MPS is a no no, not prepared to put the miles on it, risk damaging it and my missus won't let me either! Lol!!

Any help/comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

:german:

It matters not who insures it as all will not be covered from the moment of going through the barrier .

the owner is liable for damage to armco and oil spills etc and due to lack of insurance should you spill oil coolent or such like and for example a biker comes of your liable for clean up and his bike if he is german or has insurance covering ring . If said german biker or german banker in his 996 hits a wall and dies or you swipe him and the same happens the police come you have "no insurance" get taken to prison and wait a sentence such is whats happening to an english person at this time , coolent spill + dead biker = manslaughter charges .

Do the TF yes , understand the risks a MUST.

BTW when i was there i whitnessed a guy signing a bill for 15,000.00 euro for armco and spill. :worried:

So would you recommend getting every driver insured then Aron? By that I mean, as in not normal insurance but specifically for the Nurburgring? Did you drive on there without any insurance and this is the main risk you are on about? I know most British insurance companies don't cover you there now.

Thanks for a quick reply.

I cant think of one english company that cover you for TF days at the ring , track days yes .

For what you want i would book a track day .

Proablly work out cheaper although allot of them are half days for aprox £600 there is one in october for £459 all day which is amazing . and their is destination Nurburgring which is £500 ish but all to soon for what you need .

TF days are ok but they are scary places and you do them at your own risk but one false move could see you 5000.00 euro deep in bills or worse . . . not trying to scare you but seen it all go wrong before .

Arran - if you're looking to minimise your risks take a look at Dales Rent4Ring Trackday deals, starting at €800 ish euros. No wear and tear. No lap tickets but there is always risk at the ring.

Just remember that the ring is classed as a toll road and as such normal road rules apply, including keeping to the right, etc. I've seen you drive in Wales remember and if you found that within your ability, the ring will most likely be okay. Just remember - don't chase lap times and enjoy the place!

And invite us as well!!

I must add that I now think I was mental to go on track with 400 other cars after Charlie died on his bike that Saturday.

Please treat that place with the respect it deserves and you'll be fine.

Edit: but hiring that Swift was so much fun :wink:

Last edited:
was out on the Ring yesterday and i saw 5 accidents on my last lap, one of which happened right in front of me, sunday + sun on the Ring = danger :worried: get yourself covered, as far as i know you can get trackday insurance, i'm pretty sure you need to be insured as it is officially a 'public road' with a toll charge...

No no. Unless your car is German registered forget insurance on a TF. I'm sure someone like Greenlight will confirm this if asked. Even on a TD you can expect the normal excess.

It matters not who insures it as all will not be covered from the moment of going through the barrier .

(

UNTRUE

The nordschleife is a public road, a toll road in effect as you pay to go on it, as such all public road laws apply, ie overtaking on the left etc.

This means you need insurance, your insurance for the uk will normally allow you 90 days travel in europe, you probably have to inform your insurance company you are visiting europe but doing this means you are insured IN EUROPE. That means on the nordschleife road, note the word road, it is a road not a race track therefore you wont be able to get trackday insurance for a public session, thats touristfahren.

I admit that if you go on the northloop site or any other nurburgring site it's many threads make it a grey area in respect of insurance but the fact of the matter is you need insurance to travel in europe and that paying your 25euros for a lap of the public toll road means your insured, if the worst happens your insurance company will have to sortout/payout and then chase you for the costs if they so desire.

It's been like this for a while and they keep saying on northloop until someone goes through all this it is still a grey area, you might notice in some insurance policys it might 'exclude toll roads' but this means if you go over a toll bridge you won't be covered but as before, they have to cover you in europe so can't do this.

Taking the car on a trailor/towing is ok but it needs to be legal for the road to go on the nordschleife as it is a public road, either get it legal, not sure how you'd do the insurance for XX amount of people but it's the only way or rent from dale or any of the other rental companies.

HTH.:blink:

Right. Hmmm. Well I kind of feel more confused now! If I need insurance for the car then that's going to be difficult with some many of us, it'll probably cost a fortune. Not sure what to do tbh, I thought it was a bit more clear cut than this.

Webby, did you go during TF and just risk losing your 200? What did they check when you got there i.e. documents and car?

I might just have to do a few track days in the UK and then go somewhere for a few nights as my proper stag do. Which will be a pitty, I was kind of looking forward to going round the ring.

Arran, why don't you do Spa instead?

Epic track, beautiful scenery, cheap beer and great food. Belgium is very underrated.

UNTRUE

The nordschleife is a public road, a toll road in effect as you pay to go on it, as such all public road laws apply, ie overtaking on the left etc.

This means you need insurance, your insurance for the uk will normally allow you 90 days travel in europe, you probably have to inform your insurance company you are visiting europe but doing this means you are insured IN EUROPE. That means on the nordschleife road, note the word road, it is a road not a race track therefore you wont be able to get trackday insurance for a public session, thats touristfahren.

I admit that if you go on the northloop site or any other nurburgring site it's many threads make it a grey area in respect of insurance but the fact of the matter is you need insurance to travel in europe and that paying your 25euros for a lap of the public toll road means your insured, if the worst happens your insurance company will have to sortout/payout and then chase you for the costs if they so desire.

It's been like this for a while and they keep saying on northloop until someone goes through all this it is still a grey area, you might notice in some insurance policys it might 'exclude toll roads' but this means if you go over a toll bridge you won't be covered but as before, they have to cover you in europe so can't do this.

Taking the car on a trailor/towing is ok but it needs to be legal for the road to go on the nordschleife as it is a public road, either get it legal, not sure how you'd do the insurance for XX amount of people but it's the only way or rent from dale or any of the other rental companies.

HTH.:blink:

Your wrong , they have a legal opligation to provide TPO cover but all will almost certainlly exclude the Nordschliefe , yes its a toll road but its excluded although its excluded from most they still have to provide tpo cover ie other party but will claim it back from you.

Not if they desire . as they will desire :smile: as youll be in breach of cover . :w00t:

there are one or two who still cover it but its super super rare and un documented normally due to people wanting to protect what they have

No no. Unless your car is German registered forget insurance on a TF. .

Yup. correct all this "it's a toll road " this and that is garbage .

Almost all will exclude it and offer tpo cover as a legal necessity only ! Claiming back upon settle as in breach as mentioned above

Your wrong , they have a legal opligation to provide TPO cover but all will almost certainlly exclude the Nordschliefe , yes its a toll road but its excluded although its excluded from most they still have to provide tpo cover ie other party but will claim it back from you.

Not if they desire . as they will desire :smile: as youll be in breach of cover . :w00t:

there are one or two who still cover it but its super super rare and un documented normally due to people wanting to protect what they have

How come i'm wrong but then you go onto say

they have a legal opligation to provide TPO cover

Thats what i've posted, don't just skim read.

Yup. correct all this "it's a toll road " this and that is garbage .

Almost all will exclude it and offer tpo cover as a legal necessity only ! Claiming back upon settle as in breach as mentioned above

It IS a toll road, thats why you pay 26euros to go on it.

It's not garbage, it's the truth and the fact of the matter is, is that they can't exclude it, they have to cover you.

Try having a read on the northloop forum. but i forget, your the expert now you've been.

I've just started looking at other tracks, but hadn't thought about going somewhere abroad. Anglesey is cheap and cheap to add additional drivers too.

It's just that, well, the Nurburgring is what it is, everyone who likes cars wants to go there.

Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!

I'd go in this country dude, I'm sure you'll have LOTS of fun! I really want me and a couple mates to get a 172 and do some track days, will do a couple in my 197 eventually lol!