Help needed, no reverse lights

As above really, was told the other day by a mate that my reverse lights aren't working, been and checked the bulbs they're ok, checked the fuses they're also ok (including the ones under the bonnet, am I right in thinking that the only ones under the bonnet are by the battery?) so I'm alittle at a loss, everything else is working hunky dorey.

Presumably there's a switch for when you put it in reverse, does anyone know where it is? I've taken all the gator off around the gear stick but it aint there.

Any help appreciated

Ta Rich

If its the same as the Mk2 (172/182) then you need to drain the gearbox im affraid. The switch on my 172 fitted into the side of the gearbox so when removed left a hole which meant the oil needed to all be drained out.

Obviously this might not be the case with the Mk3 but i will be surprised if Renault decided to change it.

theres another fuse box in the engine bay under the second air inlet for the air filter housing

the reverse switch is at the front of the gearbox near the top (in the area where the battery tray is sort of)

Cheers peeps. I'm not convinced it's the fuse tbh was just my first bits to check before trying to find the switch which I shall have a go at finding when I've got tens mins or so spare.

Foxspeed just a heads up really, do I need to take the battery out? and do I need to drain the box or is it near enough the top that I won't need to/not in the bit where the oil is anyhow?

Cheers peeps. I'm not convinced it's the fuse tbh was just my first bits to check before trying to find the switch which I shall have a go at finding when I've got tens mins or so spare.

Foxspeed just a heads up really, do I need to take the battery out? and do I need to drain the box or is it near enough the top that I won't need to/not in the bit where the oil is anyhow?

i am sure it wont loose oil

if you look down at the side of the battery box and air piping i sure you can just see the switch

have the same problem and have done all the checks for fuses, bulbs etc and had the lights apart and was using a voltmeter to check to see if there was any power going to the bulb, couldn't find any on the reveres lights and had the sidelights on and decided I would check the voltage it was getting, so removed the sidelight bulb and tested it. was no power! put bulb back in, and it wasn't working!! It was working fine beforehand!!! I checked the bulb by putting it in the other side of the car and it worked fine!! the bulb also lights up when brakes are on!! only the sidelight bit doesn't work!!!!

I am beginning to suspect the connector on the back of the light unit? I took out the light unit and connected it to the other side and starting flicking lights etc, and although not always correct all the bulbs lit up at some stage?? Also when the sidelights were on the actual sidelight bulb worked, mind you it also turned on all lights at the same time.

So I now have no right rear sidelight and no reverse light?? Also what side is the reverse light? Or is it both? Says in the manual its the right hand side? Its massively confusing as the sidelight bulb works fine on the other side of the car, so its not the bulb! Also when you hit the brakes the bulb lights up! its only the sidelight function that doesn't work? Which makes me think the connector?
Any ideas??

found the other fusebox!! was a blown fuse to rear sidelight. checked all other fuses they were fine assuming its the reverse switch on the gearbox?

If its the same as the megane I had then the reverse switch is indeed below the oil level line in the gearbox... if you are brave you can do it without draining though i guess :smile:

Well I've purchased myself a new switch, £20 from the dealer (better than ebay surprisingly) so I shall be having a bash at changing it the weekend when I have a spare 5mins and will report back my findings.

did this today, was quite simple!! removed the battery and casing and the airbox to get access to the switch which is right on top of the gearbox. Was simple to remove, no oil leaked out as its at the top of the gearbox. new switch in everything working fine!! Dont know if you have to remove the battery casing etc, but I couldn't get a wrench on the switch as there wasn't enough room. So I took it all out of the way made it very simple. 20 mins max job!!

Good job c-bass1987, haven't done mine yet, had a look and found the switch and then realised that I'll need to take the battery out so I've left it till my days off/a day that I'm not feeling quite so lazy!!!

sometimes you can use a cranked ring spanner to get to the switches - not sure on the clio tl4 box but worth a try if you have the right size spanner

sometimes you can use a cranked ring spanner to get to the switches - not sure on the clio tl4 box but worth a try if you have the right size spanner

Trouble is it's like a 22 or 24mm head on the switch and getting to it's a bit on the small side, I think after weighing it up it'll be worth spending alittle more time removing the battery just to save the skin on my hands, my sanity and my neighbours from my foul language!!! :001_rolleyes:

Job all sorted, was the switch on top of the gear box, as c-bass1987 said its easier if you take the battery box and air box out to get to the switch then simply unscrew the old'un and screw in a new'un, total time 20 mins max.

However make sure you got a big ring spanner handy first and a swear box! these frenchies must have small hands....

Weirdly when I'd finished I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and noticed the rear wiper wiped, now I know that it's always done it but I've got a feeling that it had stopped doing it when the switch went. So if your rear wiper stops doing the odd wipe when you put it in reverse then it may be due to you not having any reverse lights.......or it could just be my imagination!

Yep the wiper coming on is how I knew the reverse lights would be working! and then asked someone to have a look when I put it into reverse just to make sure!