Second Lambda Sensor Help Needed

20210226_132914.jpg
If I have an open circuit code for second lambda, would this be disconnected? Or is there a plug right by the cat that might be disconnected?

There’s a lamba sensor after the second cat, might’ve come loose or needs replacing

Looks like it, I think. Hard to tell from this angle but that is in the right neighborhood.

It's probably a dead sensor, time to order a new one. Cheapest I found was K-Tech.

Reactions: joehodges154
If it's the same fault as I've just had then it'll be a dead sensor. Replacement time! New one is about £62 on eBay, I grabbed a second hand one for £15.

If it's the same fault as I've just had then it'll be a dead sensor. Replacement time! New one is about £62 on eBay, I grabbed a second hand one for £15.
Looks like it, I think. Hard to tell from this angle but that is in the right neighborhood.

It's probably a dead sensor, time to order a new one. Cheapest I found was K-Tech.

It only came on after a manifold change though? Gonna lift the car up tomorrow and see if its loose or put in wrong way or anything, if not, I'll order a new one.

Tried having it cleared at all? I know they can come up time to time
Andy tried yesterday when I got my car remapped but wouldn't go, just said "open circuit", gonna use the photos on your progess thread to see if it is all fitted properly, you're a very helpful chap.

Andy tried yesterday when I got my car remapped but wouldn't go, just said "open circuit", gonna use the photos on your progess thread to see if it is all fitted properly, you're a very helpful chap.
It's a pretty straightforward one to be fair mate, just the one plug you've got pictured above and then it screws in at the other end.

If the manifold was changed though it could be possible that one is triggering the second to throw a fault too, possibly? Could be wrong but the second lambda basically just tells you if the first is working correctly. Have a look at the first too and see if anything is a miss.

Last edited:
If it’s open circuit it’s either broke or not connected.
The picture you’ve put it appears to be connected though....

This, I think it was coincidence that it's gone when you had work done, how car problems normally happen.
You can log the voltage on it with a bluetooth OBD reader and something like Torque Pro App, you can log both Lambda sensors and you'll most likely see one either stagnant or super laggy in it's performance.

It only came on after a manifold change though? Gonna lift the car up tomorrow and see if its loose or put in wrong way or anything, if not, I'll order a new one.

Happened to me too. Changed to Toyo manifold and the sensor went on me. Had the same code come up regarding an open circuit.

Be careful to get the right sensor - theres a thread in here with more details, but the best option you have to to pull it from the car and physically check the end connector with the one you want to buy.

Looking at your picture
If you following the plastic sleeving back towards the front of the car all the wires have come out the plastic sleeving is this deliberate or are the wires stretched and pulled out

Looking at your picture
If you following the plastic sleeving back towards the front of the car all the wires have come out the plastic sleeving is this deliberate or are the wires stretched and pulled out
That's how it was when I took the photo, not deliberate, just out of the sleeving and stretched, jacked the car up and had a fiddle around and no luck so looks like I'll be buying a new one, don't fancy spending £100 on a new one from ktec tho.

That's how it was when I took the photo, not deliberate, just out of the sleeving and stretched, jacked the car up and had a fiddle around and no luck so looks like I'll be buying a new one, don't fancy spending £100 on a new one from ktec tho.

Is it the late plug type? More square than round, if so the Bosch ones are about £60 on eBay.

I only know this stuff as I bought the Lambdas with the wrong connectors on the end for my 2008 197 so I bought the male (lambda side) of the connector and replaced the factory plug to save me sending stuff back as it was my fault. Your other option is to cut the connector from a crashed Renault and do a proper wire splice with waterproof connectors if you don't want the crazy hassle of pulling the pins from the original connector and refitting the new housing.
1614520908287.png

Replacement connector site

1614520413663.png

Reactions: Sean197 and Addison
I only know this stuff as I bought the Lambdas with the wrong connectors on the end for my 2008 197 so I bought the male (lambda side) of the connector and replaced the factory plug to save me sending stuff back as it was my fault. Your other option is to cut the connector from a crashed Renault and do a proper wire splice with waterproof connectors if you don't want the crazy hassle of pulling the pins from the original connector and refitting the new housing.
View attachment 144389

Replacement connector site

View attachment 144388
It was one of your replies to an old thread previously that helped me find the right lambda I needed with the correct connector funnily enough haha.