Have I been screwed?

Finance was up on my lovely 197 Lux and needed to get rid so have part-exchanged against a slightly older 197. Picked the car up from Nottingham yesterday and dropped it off to have the alloys re-furb'd and done gloss black at a garage near me (Preston). Received a call to say one of the tyres was split in 3 places (yes I have been screwed here) and the rear brake discs were 'disgusting'. The guy sent me these pics :

156b9r5.jpg

1531i0y.jpg

Do they need replacing or can they be attributed to normal wear and tear. Apparently the car had a service and MOT at the end of August... (********)

It's too late re the tyre - I've bought 2 new ones but hope the dealer will re-imburse me - but if the discs shouldn't have passed the MOT I have another angle to lean on.

Advice please...!

That's disgusting mate, as others said I would get independent advice as to whether they should've failed the MOT, if it turns out they should've failed then back to the garage.

Hopefully the garage will sort you out.

Thanks for the comments and also welcome more if anyone else has an opinion...

I don't have the car to take into a garage whilst the alloys are being done but I guess I can show the pics to where I've been before. The next step will be to have it re-Mot'd... It wont cost me anything but then if it fails I'll need to have the items fixed before it's allowed back on the road.

From reading various sites, the seller has a duty to supply the car in a roadworthy condition - a worn tyre and knackered brakes I think class it as unroadworthy! Hopefully they will be reasonable and assist me but if not then I'm prepared to play hardball.

Looks to me the cars been sat a while and the rear calipers seized, looks like your only getting partial sweeping from the pad.

Well worth checking calipers before just replacing discs.

Even a second had car from a dealer has to be in a satisfactory condition under the sale of goods act.

I would argue that they have sold you a dangerous car and I'm sure it is against the law to sell a car with a tyre in that condition.

Not that they are obliged to put a decent one on.

If the brakes pulled efficiency they would just be an advisory item although advising is not mandatory. If you went at them with a hammer and some emery tape a lot of the rust would come off then you could either reface the pads or fit new

I dont see what the big deal is here , a crappy pad (probably has been used ) which has resulted in uneven sweep .cars been sat had allot of use on them discs ( probally) original .

MOT will tests braking efficiency of rear and i assume it would have been ok.

Is there and issue ? yes if you want them to look nice and truth be told the uneven pad wear and disc wear is not great . But imo if they pass efficiency test and get the desired split for imbalance etc them the garage have done nothing wrong .

It a used car at the end of the day , car could have come from a rural area like around where my parents live where roads flood when sea comes in sea water + metal = not so good . Just a thought.

Not from Burton Joyce...

A2ON - I've put the post up to see whether there is an issue?! That was prompted by the response from an alloy refurb place who I imagine see loads of brake discs yet he thought it important to mention it to me... If the car were to fail an MOT because of the discs that would mean I had purchased a car that was unroadworthy. Would you be happy to do so?

I guess the main issue is actually the tyre - that is a major fault - it could have blown on the 2.5 hour motorway journey home or, though highly unlikely, if I had been stopped by police I could've ended up with 3 points...

the best thing to do if you want some advise would be to put it back together and take to an mot station and ask them if it would pass

might be worth speaking to the garage after that saying an independent says it would not pass and also question how it was missed august service as i assume it would have been visa bale then ?

Im an MOT tester and as long as the brake doesnt bind, disc isnt cracked and it meets the brake efficiency (which is only 16% for the handbrake) then it will pass. to give you a rough idea the caliper would need to be seized solid or the handbrake cable broken for it to fail otherwise it will meet the minimum standard.

I wouldn't be happy with that, although A2ON does make a fair point above...

True story on it's way, so get comfy...

It was a nice day in May 2010 when I picked Nicole up. Shortly aftwerwards I got a letter through the front door saying that I could have a ''Summer Health Check'' and get a free goodie bag with emergency bits and bobs in. The goodie bag was worth about £30 and as I'd had the car about 4/5 weeks at the time I though yeah why not? Half an hour on the ramp and I get some free sh!t. Sounds too easy...

So, off we go. Nicole goes on the ramp. Bit of faffing about. Then the ticket comes through... All of my Tyres had ''5.0mm'' of tread left and as such were ''due replacement soon''. My rear Pads were ''dangerously worn'' and needed ''immediate action''. I asked to see the manager and asked him about what checks they carry out to a car on their forecourt before selling it. He told me that a car would not be sold with less than 50% of the meat left on the Pads. To which I pointed out that I'd picked my car up 4/5 weeks ago and my rear Pads were apparantly dangerously worn. He said that I must've been hammering the car, when in fact I think I'd covered about 300Miles.

A quick phonecall to Renault and a post on the Renaultsport forum... Was followed two days later by a grovelling phonecall from the manager of the dealership who insisted on changing my rear Pads and Discs free of charge as soon as was convenient for me to drop Nicole in. I was there waiting for him at 0900 the next morning. :smiley: So, although I can see what people are saying that as long as the braking efficiency is ok etc., I'd still say you should try your luck.

You don't get if you don't ask.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy with that, although A2ON does make a fair point above...

True story on it's way, so get comfy...

It was a nice day in May 2010 when I picked Nicole up. Shortly aftwerwards I got a letter through the front door saying that I could have a ''Summer Health Check'' and get a free goodie bag with emergency bits and bobs in. The goodie bag was worth about £30 and as I'd had the car about 4/5 weeks at the time I though yeah why not? Half an hour on the ramp and I get some free sh!t. Sounds too easy...

So, off we go. Nicole goes on the ramp. Bit of faffing about. Then the ticket comes through... All of my Tyres had ''5.0mm'' of tread left and as such were ''due replacement soon''. My rear Pads were ''dangerously worn'' and needed ''immediate action''. I asked to see the manager and asked him about what checks they carry out to a car on their forecourt before selling it. He told me that a car would not be sold with less than 50% of the meat left on the Pads. To which I pointed out that I'd picked my car up 4/5 weeks ago and my rear Pads were apparantly dangerously worn. He said that I must've been hammering the car, when in fact I think I'd covered about 300Miles.

A quick phonecall to Renault and a post on the Renaultsport forum... Was followed two days later by a grovelling phonecall from the manager of the dealership who insisted on changing my rear Pads and Discs free of charge as soon as was convenient for me to drop Nicole in. I was there waiting for him at 0900 the next morning. :smiley: So, although I can see what people are saying that as long as the braking efficiency is ok etc., I'd still say you should try your luck.

You don't get if you don't ask.

I totally agree with this, i just thought i would let you know how you stand mot wise. you only need to meet a minimum standard for an mot, which is shockingly minimal but thats how it is. whereas a service/heath check they try to bring your car up to the highest standard possible, for sake of you just buying your car i would be taking it back and pulling out the standards card :thumbup1:

When I bought mine, I had a good walk round and the dealer hadn't noticed that 1 rear tyre was illegal. On looking at the last MOT, the advisory stated that that particular tyre was in need of changing - that was last years MOT, so you can imagine what it was like 1 year and 4000 miles later.

Having twisted his arm I got 2 new tyres (claiming that the other rear tyre was f**ked), a new 12 month MOT, Valet, HPi check, full tank and Renaultsport mats.

I think he was feeling a bit sheepish. Again - you don't ask, you don't get!:zap:

Forgot to add that mine was at a Renault main dealer (Lookers Altrincham).

Lookers have since lost the franchise at that garage (it's now Bristol Street Motors) after too many complaints, this was around a month after I kicked off. I pointed out that if an old lady had gone in there and been told what I'd been told then she'd have panic'd and been stung for four Tyres and rear Pads... I also forgot to mention that the parts they quoted me for the work to the rear were actually prices for the front Pads and Pins!!! CHEEKY B@STARDS!!! I clocked that instantly when I saw the word ''Pins'', garages you can trust are hard to find.

Received a call at 8:30 from the guy I bought the car from. He was very good - seemed very shocked at the tyre and wondered how it could have passed the MOT. Re the break discs - his comments were similar to the recent ones - they need to be very poor to fail BUT he said to get both the discs and pads replaced and they will foot the cost. They are also paying for the replacement tyre...

A decent end to a potentially crap day!

Can't say fairer than that then!!! :smile:

I suppose if the car had been stood a while then he might not actually have noticed the tyre was cracked anyway.

Similar Thread Suggestions