Harnesses

Jmax

197 F1 Team
Platinum Member
Is there any harnesses out there that I could fit to the 197 that keeps the rear seats in place?

It's not the harnesses that restrict the back seats, it's how you mount them, by using a harness bar you can keep the back seats.

If you mean to carry on using the rear seats, then no. Not even the harness bar would allow that, unless in an accident you wouldn't mind your passengers having a big bar of T45 or CDS for to kill themselves on!

Providing that the rear seat passengers are wearing seat belts it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway the cross bar that the shoulder straps attach to can be removed so you'll have to make do with the standard belts if you don't want the bar in place whilst carrying passengers.

Providing that the rear seat passengers are wearing seat belts it shouldn't be a problem.

"shouldn't be a problem", come on! That's complete BS and not wishing to come across as being a cock but dangerous advice to be putting on the internet when you obvioulsy have now idea how far a passenger still travels in a crash! Some kiddy will read that and think it's fine, ending up causing a serious head trauma injury or worse to his passengers.

https://youtu.be/Z9UGVOm8Do4?t=1m1s

Okay, fair enough but the integra type r I have been in with a harness bar is nearly 2 foot from your face. But still it's only a few minutes to remove the bar, but personally I'd rather do it proper with a cage or not do it at all, doing half the job would bug me.

lots of vairables in every crash but nope you will/can still hit 2 foot in front of you face in a 3 point inertia belt, just watch the endless crash dummy vids. (albiet you do sink at an angle but you are praying the 2 never meet (head and bar!))

slightly sidetracking but on the topic of saftey it's a big grey area running harnesses with no cage, it's always a big debate on if it's safe or not - specifically to do with rolling the car. General opinion is proper fixed rigid seats are the minimum to use with harnesses if you dediced to go that route. There there's also cage's and no helmet on top of that! Cetainly no helmet and no harnesses with a cage is 100% a no-no. I've personally been in a crash where I smacked the side of my face up against the front side window, if the car had been caged the top of my head would have very likley cracked open on the cage. Foam is still going to allow significant internal bleeding before anyone mentions it. Helmets and foam in my opinion all times when using a full front cage.

For me though, on a road car going stripped for serious track use = Half rear cage, rigid buckets and 6 point harnesses. And on the road I would use the 3 point inertia belts.

A race car / full time track obviously gets the front half of the cage and helment / harnesses full time.