Gt86

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJb52YYfy1A[/YOUTUBE]

Just got linked through to this while watching another vid on YouTube. I love that Toyota are really promoting DRIVING (read: drifting) a car rather than trying to sell it on economy/posh plastics/some crappy parking gadget that I don't want and don't need.

Last edited:
You've all missed the point of this car!

Power is the last thing it needs.

It has the lowest CoG of any production car ever made (460 mm), it has almost identical dimensions, power output, and weight to that of a Clio 197/200.

It's about the driver and how everything feels and responds. Not about how quick it goes.

If Renault screw up and leave a manual gearbox off the option list for the new Clio, the GT86 will be on my drive in 2-3 years once my current 200 as worn out.

A real driving machine yes, but one that can be out dragged by a 500 Abarth? A touch more power wouldn't have gone a-miss tbh.

You've all missed the point of this car!

Power is the last thing it needs.

It has the lowest CoG of any production car ever made (460 mm), it has almost identical dimensions, power output, and weight to that of a Clio 197/200.

It's about the driver and how everything feels and responds. Not about how quick it goes.

If Renault screw up and leave a manual gearbox off the option list for the new Clio, the GT86 will be on my drive in 2-3 years once my current 200 as worn out.

I do agree with your points to a certain extent, but I think Noddie has summed it up perfectly.

To be honest I LOVE my Clio but I hate its piss poor torque figure and slightly (dare I say it) average power. I wouldn't want some overpowered bad handling piece of crap, if any of us wanted that we'd be on a Vauxhall OC not here.

A real driving machine yes, but one that can be out dragged by a 500 Abarth? A touch more power wouldn't have gone a-miss tbh.

I guess that's where I (an I think the intended buyers of the GT86) differ from general opinion in that I don't care in the slightest how it measures up to or compares against other cars.

My enjoyment of driving a car is not dependant on how much faster I am than others.

If I'm honest, I'm glad it's slow. It means that when they do filter through onto the used market most will dismiss them as they could get an Arbarth 500 which is quicker so they should be very reasonably priced, and also because it means you have to work that much harder on track to stay in touch with a faster car.

^^That was a bit of a foregone conclusion if it can be outdragged by an abarth.^^

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TB Rich Other Marques 17
A Projects & Progress 33
Robo_#1 Other Marques 20
A Other Marques 10