Gearbox probs and trip to the dealer today

After reading the others posts on here from members who have had problems with their boxes , they described the fault that I have .
So off to the local Renault dealer having booked car in Saturday , fully armed with iPad and Clio 197 booked marked at said page , expecting the usuall amount of excuses that weve all had from them.

I was greeted with - I will get a technician to come out with you and see if it makes the described noise IE - crunch when going into 4th well it did as I knew it would, result he clearly heard it and agreed gearbox F €$% D .

Back at dealer they said they have to do a few checks 1st , 30 minutes later and he arrived back holding a plastic container with some old g/box oil and said it contains metal swarf and said he would contact renault to arrange new gearbox.
And they will give me a car while it's being done
So far so good have to wait and see now
So waiting a call later today

Last edited:
Sounds like it went well - will they be doing this for free?

Yes went well , at the moment just hope they sought it soon.

59 plate , warranty runs out dec 2012 and I've only had it since December last year , so yes , at least I expect them to They haven't mentioned payment

That's good news. I'll be pi$$ed if you get your done before me lol.

Im still waiting on a call , could be a long wait.
Thing that's concerning me now is , if they fit a new box are these updated boxes or just the standard replacement.

So could I be looking at another 1 in a few years or dare I say it get rid of the Clio .

Has anyone who has had 1 replaced under warranty now experiencing problems with new box and finding the car is no longer covered

It isn't helping me that the wife keeps saying u should of kept the fiesta sport
That was only 4 months old:argue:

Think Graeme has had 2 boxes in his 200. It's just the same box they replace it with. I'll bebputtingnsomebfully synthetic oil in once the new one is in.

Think Graeme has had 2 boxes in his 200. It's just the same box they replace it with. I'll bebputtingnsomebfully synthetic oil in once the new one is in.

Now Im worried , if it's a none problem why don't they fit stronger boxes .

Think it might have to go then ,can't take the chance Of having to buy a box

What's the warranty on the new gear box??

Got to be 12 months ,position I'm in at the moment is , I'm in last 12 months of my warranty so if they change it very soon warranty on box will run out same time as car ,
And knowing my luck , it will go again

What do they do with all the old boxes?

You could be getting one of those with re built insides.

I imagine they rebuild the old boxes with the standard specs and recycle them to the next poor sod who has a gearbox failure. So in essence its the same stock of gearboxs in circulation rather than "new" gearboxs being made so to speak.

Even if they do remanufacture the boxes, chances are little more than the casing will be carried over. Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't just scrapped.