Gearbox Advice.

happened to my 08 197FF at about 16k, just took it in, said I thought it was a synchro mesh - they phoned back and told me they were replacing the whole box. Took about a week before I got the car back. The new box has a longer gearing so no more 70mph @ 4000rpm. (now 3400rpm).

Garage was Arnold Clark Bishopbriggs.

Same here, it also crunches in third gear... also the syncro mesh. Seems to be a common thing. My car is 3years and 4 months old and has 72.000km.

Isn't this a factory fault, because alot of cars seem to have this??

Had it looked at today and it was blamed on my driving style, was told not to change down from 5th & 4th gear to 3rd but to go up and down the gears else I risk screwing up the syncro on 3rd, the guy said if he passed this onto RUK then you also risk them saying the same.

Typically on the way home it was crunching from 2nd to 3rd but I could not be assed taking it back.

If I am unable to get this resolved by the time the car is out of warranty I will be selling it as no way do I want a 3k bill for a new box if it does go totally.

What to do, what to do.

Had it looked at today and it was blamed on my driving style, was told not to change down from 5th & 4th gear to 3rd but to go up and down the gears else I risk screwing up the syncro on 3rd, the guy said if he passed this onto RUK then you also risk them saying the same.

Typically on the way home it was crunching from 2nd to 3rd but I could not be assed taking it back.

If I am unable to get this resolved by the time the car is out of warranty I will be selling it as no way do I want a 3k bill for a new box if it does go totally.

What to do, what to do.

Mine lost all forward gears after 700s mile of purchase!

I contacted the Renault dealer I bought it from & they said they are not interested in collecting the car cos the don't know if it is a warranty fault!

An email to RUK - no reply...

Took my car back to dealers 2 weeks later... suddenly a contact from RUK.

How can they blame it on your gear changes? Is the 'black box' that accurate?

Once the car was in the dealers it took a week for Renault to decide who was going to pay & apparenty went 50/50 between Renault & the warrenty company.

Anyway... Between them, they decided to replace the whole box.

What to do, what to do.

Call Renault UK.

Thats the same sort of response I got from the first garage I used to deal with. I basically got the feeling they couldn't be bothered with the hassle of the job !

Renault UK put me onto another garage that test drove, told me it definitely wasn't rite and had it fixed. I then traded it in for my cup when it was fixed.

It’s because I went out on a test drive with the guy to show them what it was doing.

He was not impressed with me changing from 6th/5th into 3rd at 35mph, I was told to do this for better car control, fuel economy and less wear on the car, so I cant see how this is going to brake the gearbox unless its made out of cheese witch I think it is lol

Don’t get me wrong when I am driving hard I don’t just skip the gears I go up and down the box, but when cruising along I like to change gear with little effort.

I don’t want to ring RUK just yet, as I know they go in all guns blazing and it gets every ones back up.

Think I will keep an eye on it and if it crunches every time going from 2nd to 3rd then I will take it back, if they refuse again then I will contact RUK.

It’s only just started crunching from 2nd to 3rd but oddly only over 4k RPM and when they test drove the car the guy did not get over 2.5k RPM before changing gear and when I tested the car with him in the car the traffic was to heavy.

My gearbox whines a bit, especially on over run and with the A/C on. I hope mine's not going to be screwed!

My gearbox seems to work fine now...

Though I am thinking of selling... not enough power/torque for me...

It handles like a dream... they should have put a turbo on to match the chassis... I guess it's down to marketing & insurance etc! May be should have done a Turbo as well as the Cup version?

07, 13k miles, cabbasse, xenons, CC, Albi Blue, 5mths tax, 10 mths mot, Totally standard, 5 mths warranty... £12k?

hi guys,do you have resolved the problem with gearbox?

Nop not yet, but its got worse.

Now crunching every time when changed from 2nd to 3rd over 3.5k revs.

cant be bothered wasting my time at the moment as I am busy but I will get it booked back in and it will be replaced this time.