Gearbox Advice.

Matt197

South West Rep
Not sure if my gearbox is on its way out, but I was going along at 50 in 6th gear and I decided to have some fun, dropped it into 3rd and “crunch”, fault it was me so I tried it again and “crunch” so tried it once more and it went in ok.
I drove on for a little while and decided to try it again and the same happened, funny thing is, it only does it twice and the third time there is no crunch sound.

Can anyone confirm if their gearbox does the same please?

Car was fully warmed up by the way :tongueout:anic::tongueout:anic:

doesnt sound good or right that - shouldnt crunch - sounds like synchro hub wear/worn :thumbdown:

crunch as in clutch not down or crunch as in goes in but not easily?

Goes in gear fine but with a crunch, was not sure if I was down shifting to many gears.

My foot was fully depressed on the clutch pedal as well.

Its annoying as it does not do it all the time and if I book it in I know they will not find a problem, knowing my luck it will go bang 1 day out of warrantee.

I have an intermittent problem getting into third recently but going up the box, only happened a handful of times and like you say while warm and clutch fully depressed. You cant really shift down too many gears if you can still match the revs, if you arent doing that it may be part of the problem.

That hapend on my old 197 and ended up with a gear box re-build. It hapened again and the next time it was changed.

Though I was going from 4th to 3rd as I have a paranoya about skiping gears going down the box, due to a couple of old vans we used to have.

Is it still under warranty ? how many miles has it done ?

I was on 28000.

Car is 18 months old so has plenty of warranty left, only done 11,800 miles as well.

Will have to have another look tonight and see if it crunches in other gear shifts.

If someone can please confirm that theirs does not crunch when changing into 3rd when doing 50 in 6th gear that would help. Had problems with the dealer in the past and I know they will say don’t change down so many gears then.

Last edited:
Just been out and it crunched from 1st to 3rd – 5th to 3rd and 6th to 3rd but oddly it would not crunch when going from either 2nd or 4th to 3rd

And not sure if all 197s are the same but there is quite a bit of gearbox whine going on as well.

hmmm, sounds f***ed :tongueout:anic::tongueout:anic::tongueout:anic:

take it into them mate and make sure you let them know you will need a car for traveling to work or you probably wont get a courtesy car.

You'll lose the car for at least a week, I did anyway.

rev matching can also make it harder if not done correctly too high or too low ull get a jerk

I have nearly same gearbox issue as you mines crunches from any gear in to 3rd am on 20 k at 10 k I took it in to be looked at as it only done it from 2nd to 3rd at 7k plus rpm they said it was fine now it's f**ked it's booked in for Tuesday

I've suffered with dodgy gearchanges for a while now, I took it back to Renault and they basically told me to **** off :worried:

Ye I am glad I did not book it in now, went over to my mates house for him to look at it as he works for Renault and the little ****er would not crunch going into 3rd at all.

Just have to keep an eye on it, no point taking it in if its not going to do it.

Ye I am glad I did not book it in now, went over to my mates house for him to look at it as he works for Renault and the little ****er would not crunch going into 3rd at all.

Just have to keep an eye on it, no point taking it in if its not going to do it.

Mine did this recently with only 4 weeks left in warranty.....crunch going into 4th gear but would select 4th no problem.....did it every couple of times for the first few days and then all the time.

When you bring it in tell them that you can hear the noise first thing in the morning when its cold, after long or short drives hot or cold, that it doesnt matter if your going up or down the gears quickly or slowly.that your absolutly sure you have the clutch pedal the whole way in..and tell them that you wouldnt be happy with a rebuilt box because of the type of car it is i.e sport not ur everyday run 1.2 clio..

oh and go on the test drive with the mechanic the day you call in so that way you can point out the noise and the mechanic cant say he heard nothing!

i did this and got a new box...took 1 day to fit new box

Last edited:
The gearbox on mine has the same sort of issue, but i don't make a habit of skipping gears, i like to go through the box, up and down.

Down shifting I blip the throttle and that seems to help prevent any awkward changes.

Have you thought about changing the gearbox oil? Mine was significantly better after it was done. Doesn't work for everyone but its a quicker and cheaper router than swapping out a gearbox.

yeap, changing the gearbox oil makes most of the problems go away as many 197 came underfilled from the factory

talking about gearbox oddities.....I shifted mine to 4th once but when I depressed the clutch it was in neutral :smiley:

RENAULT <3

Got mine back today after having a new box fitted. (took 3 weeks! 1 week 4 Renault to decide whether to fix or replace & 2 weeks to deliver & fit, prob got lost in a volcano cloud some where!)

Gear selection was super smooth before, now a bit notchy (but happy with it)... may be just needs wearing in?

Gear selection was super smooth before, now a bit notchy (but happy with it)... may be just needs wearing in?

Probably :thumbsup: most FLAR cars (gearboxes) need at least 15-20k km to break in properly and start to work as they should. Imho with Renault it's the same :tongueout:

Last edited:
Anyone want to do a changing the gearbox oil guide?

Because I think this might be my problem as it only does it when I have been driving very hard.