Fuel smell in engine oil

Luke_197

Platinum Member
Hi everyone

Bit of a strange question, but went to check my oil level today on the 200 and noticed the oil on the dip smelt quite strongly of fuel.

IS THIS NORMAL?

I had my car serviced by Ktec 3 weeks ago by Ktec so oil has recently been changed. I'm sure it smelt the same before the service but stupidly forgot to mention it to them.

Got worried so went to see if my little brothers corsa D had the same issue and noticed it smelt slightly fuely but not as bad as mine. That was also serviced around a month ago. My little brother abuses his car too e.g doesn't the the car warm up before, opening it up.

Good news is car is still under warrenty so if there is a problem it's going for a trip to Renault.

Thanks

Luke :smile:

different oils do at times have a different smell..

the only way to get petrol in the oil is due to over fuelling and a tell tale sign of this is a rising oil level...not to mention heavy oil /fuel consumption and a smokey exhaust

Last edited:
It will always smell to some degree or another imo but may be running rich.

May be an issue with the map sensor that seems to cause the kangarooing to some extent or is your car thermostat playing up?

Hmmm thanks for the advice [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] [MENTION=636]Mentalpen[/MENTION] the oil used it's elf 5W40 so standard oil Renault use.

Oil level hasn't changed at all since the service, how ever I'm wondering if my car maybe be over fuelling, the exhaust is surprising loud for a standard system(sounds good) almost like it's decated, it also smells quite fuely too, my friend has said it's occasionally smokes when he's following me and I'm giving it some. Car passed it's MOT(emissions) 2 months ago just for the record.

My car does kangaroo slightly but I thought all 197/200 do this as my old 197 did it and no thermostat issues :worried:

My car on idle, especially when hot make a very faint popping noise, just like hot fuel is getting burnt inside the exhaust.

Any ideas, could there be a problem with one of the cats? My friend actually had a blocked up cat on his mk5 GTI which caused him loads of trouble, He then fitted a decat pipe, it sorted everything and sounded rather good.

Cheers :smile:

Last edited:
If its been remapped then that would be my first port of call, then as its under warranty i'd just chuck it at renault tbh

As its easy to check the kangaroo fix you could see how loose it is http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?38297-Possible-fix-for-the-dreaded-FLAT-SPOT
most are loose but could have been dislodged somehow whilst been worked on.

Not been remapped as far as I know mate, only change I've made is a KTR panel filter (If I take back to Renault this will be changed for a standard one) yeah I'm tempted to mate I've got a very notchy gearbox too so I'm tempted to leave it with them and demand a courtesy car.

I read this thread a while ago definitely worth try this I've heard people cable tie it in place.

Thank for the help :smile:

I doubt they will change the filter tbh

There are a number of reasons it can run rich remap, map sensor and thermostat are 2 second checks which at that point I'd just give it to Renault. That's why they have warranty.

I doubt they will change the filter tbh

There are a number of reasons it can run rich remap, map sensor and thermostat are 2 second checks which at that point I'd just give it to Renault. That's why they have warranty.

Cable tied my maf sensor yesterday and has made a big improvement. No fuel smell from exhaust or random popping, also drives a lot better now less kangarooing :smile: so far so good. Hopefully this was the issue.

excellent. sometimes its the quick things that fix it, if not just take it back lol