front shock removal question

So its still work in progress, but ive managed to assemble the front struts up, I thought id attach a picture, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but then I did decide to buy the coil spring compressor like the one Turkie172 posted. No way would I have been able to assemble them with out that kit.

Eibach springs fitted, will take after pictures once ive managed to remove the old ones.

7F0552A9-F977-46B6-873F-454F50029CD7_1_201_a.jpeg

The part numbers are stuck on from the top mounts, so when It comes to fitting I know which top mount is on which strut, or at least thats my theory behind it.

Reactions: suj
Mission aborted....
I think I was a little over ambitious trying to tackle the front at least on my own.
as the title suggests I had to stop as I wasn’t getting any where, I couldn’t undo the bolt holding the anti drop bar, the 5m key head has rounded off so the bolt & thread just spins...

I tired the drivers side & I couldn’t even undo the bolt, that was even with a beaker bar to try brake the seal.

I think I need to order some new drop link bars & see what I can do, I’m thinking perhaps an angle grinder to cut through the drop links...

or getting the professionals in!??

one thing I did manage to do whilst everything was off the front tho it was to treat the front cross member & the lower subframe to a good coat of anti rust paint, so it hasn’t been a total waste of time.

If anyone experienced in doing the suspension wants to lend a hand once I’ve ordered the parts & wants to help out, please let me know. I’ll pay obviously for the time, I just want to gain experience in doing this myself.

Im in the Warwickshire / Worcestershire areas.

Did you get any other bolts undone? Can't stress how much preparation makes life easier, 10-15 minutes with a wire brush and a hefty dose of penetrating oil can save hours of swearing! :censored:

Reactions: Foxspeed
I managed to get the bolt off that on the strut arm onto the carriers but the bolts on the drop bar links are way to tight, I even tried a breaker bar on it.

so I think the angle grinder is a good option & some fresh parts

I did this recently and was fought every step of the way:

Main annoyances:
The screw that holds the brake flexy bracket to the upright on one side had previously been rounded - solution angle ground head down
Couldn't get pinch bolt out - solution heat and impact wrench
Couldn't get shock bodies out of uprights - solution heat and lump hammer

Get yourself an impact wrench for this job, they buzzed the drop link nuts off - along with other ones - pretty easily. You can get mains ones for c.£40-50, or Li-Ion powered ones for £150 upwards. Pay for themselves very quickly with jobs like this.

As said above, taking the uprights off the car makes the job shorter in the long run.

Reactions: 197JST