Front brake judder?

if it just been mot then the ball joint wear would have shown up on the turning plates....

just by looking at a disc you cannot tell if its "warped" - to do it right you need to measure the "run-out" with a dti guage

i cannot see having the pads/calipers serviced will stop brake judder...

As you can tell Foxspeed, i'm a total novice when it comes to the mechanical aspects of car maintenance / ownership.

It must be my poor driving / braking habits then, as it was fine when I bought it last August.

I assume the best course of action is strip the calipers / new pads (thinking DS2500s) / new discs?

Cheers

Anthony.

As you can tell Foxspeed, i'm a total novice when it comes to the mechanical aspects of car maintenance / ownership.

It must be my poor driving / braking habits then, as it was fine when I bought it last August.

I assume the best course of action is strip the calipers / new pads (thinking DS2500s) / new discs?

Cheers

Anthony.

you can just replace or get them checked for run-out

on a few 197's megane 225's i have done the brakes on i have found the inside of the disc surface is corroded and in poor condition...also a possible fault to cause this!

to cure if warped is either a disc skim if there any places that still do it or replacement - if your not tracking it then stick with standard and save a few ££

and yes have the calipers/pads serviced etc - if your keeping it do it yearly!

So it seems, to cover the bases it's best to get the pads and discs replaced (i'll order some new pins at the same time), and hope this cures the problem.

However, of the problem's still there then it's been missed by the MOT tester and will cost approx £800 for balljoints / hub carrier / suspension arm / track rod ends.

Ouch.

So it seems, to cover the bases it's best to get the pads and discs replaced (i'll order some new pins at the same time), and hope this cures the problem.

However, of the problem's still there then it's been missed by the MOT tester and will cost approx £800 for balljoints / hub carrier / suspension arm / track rod ends.

Ouch.

thats assuming its not discs but ball joints....

in that case its a complaint to the garage - i am sure they wouldnt want VOSA involved... :poke:

Well I e-mailed the Renault dealership and got the following response :

'The technician would of put any defect with the ball joints etc on the health check as these are checked there as well as MOT test.'

Also a fixed quote of £85 to strip and inspect the calipers. I assume pins will be additional - sod that. I'll ask my dad to help and get new discs and pads while we're at it.

Brembo HCs or stocks to go with DS2500s?

Just to bump this up - are the track / tie rod ends an expensive component to replace?

Unsure if it is this and I can't find any info on the forum regarding them.

Anthony.

Ouch.

thats exactly what i paid mate and mine wasnt picked up at MOT although it prob should have it was picked up at a service

thats exactly what i paid mate and mine wasnt picked up at MOT although it prob should have it was picked up at a service

I was using your price in that estimation mate, hence the same value. Mine had MOT / Service and the 'technician' taking it on a test drive where he picked up on the 'judder' from the brakes.

Really unsure on the best way to progress tbh, as they haven't identified a specific cause other than recommending I take it in to have the calipers stripped and inspected (they have never been serviced as it's never had front discs or pads changed since new), at a cost of £85. So it's going to cost ££££ just for them to strip it and inspect it, so as I say, unsure how to progress.

Just to update :

I managed to buy Brembo front discs and pads for £117 from GSF car parts.

Me and my father replaced old with new today, even managing to re-use the old pins (they came out no problem) - and now the judder is pretty much gone :smile:

Cheers for all the help

Anthony

Glad you got it sorted, what did the old discs look like?

For your interest, have a read of this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths#

I'll take a read of that, cheers :smile:

They still had plenty of life left in them (both the discs and pads), but the inside of the discs (the O/S in particular) towards the inner section had a build up of flaking / rust / crap. Pads seemed ok though?

Made sure I cleaned up the calipers well, along with the hub, plus liberal amounts of copper grease on the retaining pins.

I think next time they're due we'll be able to change both sides in 90 minutes or so.

Anthony.

Well I thought it was sorted - obviously not:nope:

While the brake judder has gone and it now brakes straight and true, i've noticed something that is either me being paranoid or is another problem to resolve.

When driving at all times, I swear I can feel far more road vibration through the steering wheel and pedals. Now I don't know if this is down to the car naturally giving lots of 'feedback' and not feeling 'numb' but I swear it wasn't like this before the brakes were changed.....

Also when turning left (so the right side is under load), again I don't know if it's just me, but I think I can feel definite vibrations through the steering wheel:nope:

While the brakes were changed we visually inspected the bushes we could see and all seemed well. Also with the wheel on and the car jacked up, I tried rocking the wheels to check for any 'play' and they seemed solid to me?

So is this me just being paranoid, or would you suggest a definite issue?

Anthony.

are the wheels on tight?

could be a cv joint?

could be a diff bearing?

Wheels are on tight, all checked after 20 odd miles too, still nice and tight.

More fault finding I guess, wheel bearing I can check myself (I think), CV joint, possibly take it in to Renault.

Cheers

Anthony.