Front brake judder

Antti O

Gold Member
So basically i had new front brakes fitted 2011 (Genuine Renault parts), and now front brakes are vibrating when i apply little amount of brake pedal.
Judder start after car was in park 3 weeks because of holiday, brakes were seized and it was difficult to get car going. 1 gear and dump the clutch and bang! open. After that...
Shaking is not bad, but i can feel it throung steeringwheel.
Those discs & pads are only 13.000km driven which is something like 9000-10000miles..
New discs will cost only 100€ for me so maybe i just simply order new discs.
Disc skimming price is 40€ / for pair.

It is now pretty difficult to do proper hard brakings to clean discs because of snow and ice.

What you think?

Last edited:
have a quick look at them as its most likely as you have said a ridge of rust has built up and just hasnt worn off!

have a quick look at them as its most likely as you have said a ridge of rust has built up and just hasnt worn off!

I have to look those more.. but i think there is only little marks at discs. No visible rust alloy side what i can see. I already drove home with left foot in the brake and try to warm those up but it is little difficult here now.
Maybe i just try use brakes hard if vibrating goes away..

I had something similar on my old discs, ended up with a pad shaped imprint on the disc which never came off, no matter how much hard braking I did.

I read into it and turns out the rust spots cause very local hot spots on the disc (as they're raised so see more friction which means more heat) and the hot spots are effectively heat treating the disc, making the area very hard and impossible to remove. Even if you skim the discs they can still be hardened under the surface.

I would get new discs if they don't sort themselves out over the next few weeks

I had something similar on my old discs, ended up with a pad shaped imprint on the disc which never came off, no matter how much hard braking I did.

I read into it and turns out the rust spots cause very local hot spots on the disc (as they're raised so see more friction which means more heat) and the hot spots are effectively heat treating the disc, making the area very hard and impossible to remove. Even if you skim the discs they can still be hardened under the surface.

I would get new discs if they don't sort themselves out over the next few weeks

Yesterday i drove home with left foot in the brake and warmed brakes up. I think it is better now. Have to test it more today.
New discs are only 95€ so maybe i order pair so i have in stock if there is more problems in summer.

Try running them through a proper bedding in cycle. That's what sorted mine when I had bad deposits.

Try running them through a proper bedding in cycle. That's what sorted mine when I had bad deposits.

Do you have some instructions? It might be difficult because we have snow&ice here and stud tyres so there is no traction to brake.

Do you have some instructions? It might be difficult because we have snow&ice here and stud tyres so there is no traction to brake.

True, effectively you just need to do a hand full of hard stops from about 50-60mph but without coming to a complete stand still so you get the brakes really hot.

Drive around for 10 minutes or so normally to allow them to cool gradually, then repeat.

Last time I had to do it I did 2 or 3 cycles.

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

It's not an exact science but you'll get the idea.

I cant understand how discs can be warped when car is garaged 3 weeks and problem was after that session.

you said they were stuck on when you got in the car? maybe they did not release as much as you think, and like i said its easy enough to check