Forget the Top Gear test of the Clio 200T here is the ultimate review

Roblynn1977

"team imperial leather"
That's right today Foxspeed, Gazerati, and myself traveled to Renualt in Wolverhampton to test the 200T.

The 200T we had cup chassis and lux pack in liquid yellow, so we met Mat there who welcomed us and we quickly got in the car and Mat pointed out the features of the car, I was sat in the back at this point not a lot of room there but just enough. The car felt quick and I could hear it popping and banging on down shift. At this point Mat showed us the rink system. Now I have to say some features like the sat nav where good, but the piping in sound from offer cars is the biggest waste of time and effort ever imo. And in the back it sound is diluted and isn't very good.

So after Gaz and Si had finished there driving it was my turn finally my turn. So I quickly found a comfortable driving position the seats felt comfy and softer than am used too ( having Recaros in my last 2 cars ) but I have to say the seats are supportive.

So me being me, Mat helped me select race mode and we where off, now the car feels rapid in a straight line and I was quickly blipping through the gears using the paddles.

So at this point I want to talk about the gear box. If the was a manual option would I ever consider this this auto box no, but as that isn't a option I promise not to mention a manual box again ( in this post ). As most of you no I had the joy of driving a TTS for a month earlier this year with the DSG box I believe my exact words at the time was there is a placed reserved in hell for the designer of that horrible boring dull excitement sapping thing. I am please to say the box in the Clio is much better very responsive on both up and down shifts and in race mode you have full control over it ( unless you rev it too low then it will drop a gear for its own protection ) as I proved by dropping it quickly 2gears onto the rev limiter whilst going for a over take

So what is it like compared directly to the old 200, well even though this 200T had the cup chassis I would say my 200 ff is still firmer, however the ride is very good and you get good feedback though the wheel, and it was most fun dropping it into 2nd and powering it round a rounder about (although I think might scared Mat a little )

After this we where heading back into a built up area so I placed the car in auto mode and you can feel the car change to a less aggressive stance. When we got back to the garage Mat left us to have a good nosey over the car.

At this point I started thinking and yes I do like this this car. And many people have asked on here who is this car directed at and after driving I can say who.

This car is directed at people like me guys who first fell in love with the RS back in the early 2000's who have gone through 172,182,225,R26, and now a 200. Guys who have grow up with and have maybe collected a wife and a couple of kids along the
way and can only really afford one nice car that maybe you need to comprise on. A car that you can load the kids ( 5 doors ) and the wife can quiet happily go off into town do what she needs too and return without complaining about the hard ride the rattles and she can't get the kids in the seats in the back. But also a car that for when you need to let off a bit off steam and put a smile on your face again, a car that when you get those rare weekends to go tearing round the countryside in.

That's what this car is. It does everything well probably I would say does everything 90% that 2cars would do.

For some this would be a problem as its not a hardcore racer like the outgoing 200 but try getting the mrs to take the kids to the shops in the 200 that's not happening without major complaint.

I don't track cars so I have no clue how it would hold up there but for day to day living its more than capable, is it going to live in auto mode 90% of its life yes. Will you ever use launch in really life probably not.

But most importantly of all would I own this car and be happy with it then yes I would.

A couple of points I didn't like on my 1st drive the digital speedo I wasn't a massive fan I kept looking at the fuel gauge and I also found the rev counter hard to seen the needle. Last thing I didn't like the tiny windows behind the rear door handles what's the point!

I would love to get one of these to try over a couple of days no roads I no really well so I properly test it.

Finally thanks to Mat for organising today it was nice to meet him and would happily recommend anyone wanting a Reno to pay him a visit.

Good review, I agree, having been in a family members Clio 4 (non RS) there is definitely more room and a bigger boot than my 200, making it more practical. The 200T is aimed a different market, I still don't understand why they haven't done a manual gearbox option on the RS model though?

I drove one yesterday. I thought the car looked tame but was better in the metal than the mag pics so far. The gear box is a let down for me. Simply not fast enough in the change. Having said that I could only drive on a motorway and urban roads so maybe a drive on some twisted would give a different experience. I am still undecided, but I am worried that to go back from the Meg250 would be a retrograde step. The new Fiesta is a much better driving car and that is only from a drive on the same motorway and urban roads. If I take a step back in power I want to off set against driving fun and handling. I didn't get the feeling that the RS 200t is going to give me that. I've had RS cars for years, but I haven't any children.....I just think that Renault have dropped that serious driving factor in favour of the VW market.....as for false engine noises - just silly waste of time. Hopefully there will be a cup version with a Ricaro option, better colour choice....and (as rumour suggests) a software update to sort the gear changes out!! Then I might change

Similar Thread Suggestions