Forged f4r

Stephenvenning

Gold Member
Just rebuilt a motorbike and now looking for another project on my clio, seen many people do megane conversion, but i dont really want to turbo as i like the high revs of NA (Nothing sounds better in my opinion) Wondering what sort of gains would be seen of a fully forged f4r with uprated injectors etc?

If you went all the way you could fully forge it, catcams, cat cam followers, solid lifters, incomel valves, itb's and could get near 280bhp with a 9k redline.....

dont expect much change out of 15k though :smile:

Didn't woody forge his Clio many moons ago?

Thats how the story goes... dont think it ever ran right iirc
[MENTION=193]MikeLYR27[/MENTION] and [MENTION=25970]shaky[/MENTION]handman both have forged F4r's but they are also running blowers

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I thought. He spent a fortune on it! saying that didn't he finally get it running smoothly and then flogged it?

Ah i doubt it will be fully forged everything, just cams and conrods with uprated injectors, probs just cheaper to meg conversion then?

It was up for sale at Ron Hodgsons for ages, I heard it had low compression pistons fitted in preparation for forced induction but that never happened so it would have run ****e... I think the project finished when him an Maz ran off together. lol

I've always wanted to do an oversized piston, close to a 2.1. Steel rods and forged pistons, arp rod bolts, balanced crank. Head work and cams with a limiter around 9K.

Ah i doubt it will be fully forged everything, just cams and conrods with uprated injectors, probs just cheaper to meg conversion then?

The Clio R3 maxi's get upto 250bhp and hey are highly strung. Have a search for Simo's build thread from Italy, his engine is very high spec using a lot of race parts

I've always wanted to do an oversized piston, close to a 2.1. Steel rods and forged pistons, arp rod bolts, balanced crank. Head work and cams with a limiter around 9K.

To get 9k you'd need the catcam followers, solid lifters and springs.. that kit is around £3.5k. you'd need to have major head work for the followers to fit as they need a slot cutting machining out.

There was a nice cup on bodies in pfc a little while ago on cams and itbs with 230bhp with standard bottom that would more than ample

White one black wheels stripped out a bit put a link up to his build thread I'm Steven would like a look come to think of it it may have been forged but I'm sure you could get that sort of power from a standard bottom end with itbs cams head work decent manifold

To be honest a dont think the 9k rev limit is really worth it. Forged pistons, catcam valves and springs, cams and ARP bolts will be fine. My pistons are oversized and near a 2.1, not sure how much benefit it gives tho.
A supercharger is a better way of getting the N/A 8K scream your after. Neither are cheap, but i think its cheaper and get way more power/usabilty than having a really highly strung race N/A engine.

I'm midway through doing my spare engine at present (I say midway, everything has been ordered but waiting on it all to arrive)

High compression forged pistons with some wild valve cutouts.
forged H section rods.
crank staying standard.
billet flywheel
wild head work.
supertech valves.
catcam 422 camshafts
catcam valve springs
looking at solid lifters as we speak, and the option of loosing the VVT dephaser setup.

its the ARP bolts that seem the scariest in price for such small items, such as the flywheel bolts, rod bolts, Headbolts etc.

im only hoping to break 230bhp, but time will tell.
it would be nice if we could raise the rev limit a little higher aswell, to which I would see no reason for the engine to now be strong enough to handle that.

I'm midway through doing my spare engine at present (I say midway, everything has been ordered but waiting on it all to arrive)

High compression forged pistons with some wild valve cutouts.
forged H section rods.
crank staying standard.
billet flywheel
wild head work.
supertech valves.
catcam 422 camshafts
catcam valve springs
looking at solid lifters as we speak, and the option of loosing the VVT dephaser setup.

its the ARP bolts that seem the scariest in price for such small items, such as the flywheel bolts, rod bolts, Headbolts etc.

im only hoping to break 230bhp, but time will tell.
it would be nice if we could raise the rev limit a little higher as-well, to which I would see no reason for the engine to now be strong enough to handle that.

You'll be able to raise it to 8k, dont think you'll get any higher safely tho. Be interesting to see how is turns out, who are you getting to map it? I think you'll get 220 on honest rollers, Ben_r1 got to 230 with pretty much the same setup as you and ITB's. Dont think youll need solid lifters for that rev limit. Ive got hydraulic lifters, cat cam valves and double valve springs and mine revs to 8k with a S/charger on it. Engine dynamics advised against it to me as it would 'eat it self' was the words they said to me lol!

Either way it will scream and go much better, looking forward to it finished mate :smile: