Focus zetec S.?

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
The Freelander is going in favour of something a little more economical as a family car; then soon as funds allow Lisa's car will be going, she will then have the family car and I'll be getting a Clio.

So we are thinking focus zetec S 1.6 petrol.

I want something that looks a little sporty even if it's not as I know I would just start spending otherwise.
Don't do enough miles to justify the desiel with them being 1.5k more than petrols and diesel fuel being more expensive.

Seen a nice clean silver one at 9.5k with just 9k miles.

What's people's thought on them and any known faults.?

How old are you looking?

They are a great car but the 1.6 is a bit gutless, and IIRC not especially economical, high 30's?

Also I am not impressed with the quality of the plastics in the lower dash and lower door panels, it is a bit hard and cheap.

Really practical, fun to drive, looks quite smart with the bodykit, but under the bodykit is just a standard Focus Zetec chassis setup.

Last edited:
How old are you looking?

They are a great car but the 1.6 is a bit gutless, and IIRC not especially economical, high 30's?

Also I am not impressed with the quality of the plastics in the lower dash and lower door panels, it is a bit hard and cheap.

Gutless and sluggish, not a patch on the original focus to drive, I've used them a few times as hire cars at work; and no matter how hard I tried I could never get a comfortable driving position, my arms always ended up aching on a long drive. I even found the 197 more comfy to do a long run in even when it had the v1s on.
Plenty of space in them as a family car though

I've driven a focus of that age in zetec trim and quite enjoyed it, decent handling and comfortable. Can't comment on the 1.6 petrol but I'd guess it's a little underpowered for that car.

I know they ai t quick but that's not what we want or expect.
It's quicker than the Freelander anyways.

My dad drives white cars, with yellow bits on the sides and back, with blue things on the top. I think you know what I mean. They have some Focus's but mainly Astras. He says one the Focus's he drives is a bag of poo, it looks terrible because of the rust, drives pants and is falling to bits. The Astra's he drives, so he tells me, fair much better, they drive better and last longer too.

I've never been a fan of the Focus tbh, I really don't like the new one either. Is there anything else you would consider Jase? How about an Astra SRi? Mazda 3 sport? Fiat Bravo?

Like the interior of the astra Sri but don't really like the look of the car.

I would avoid the Astra. I was going to recommend a Golf but they are expensive and when they go wrong they are still expensive. Couldn't you get into a similar vintage Mondeo or Insignia for that money, or are they a bit big?

Mondeo / Insignia tends to represent a better value used purchase than Focus/Astra/Golf.

If you are going to have a Focus then petrol is cheaper to run and to buy, no turbo to fail, so long as you buy the right car you I don't think you go too far wrong.

Colleague of mine has an 06 plate 1.4 with about 120k on it; they have had some issues with the cat but that is about it, and given the mileage I don't think you can hold that against the car.

My parents have had a previous shape 1.6 (essentially same engine) as a courtesy car for about 8 years that has now done 160k and (touch wood) hasn't missed a beat.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a used Focus to anyone.

Last edited:
I had the first focus shape that came out and loved it.
My folks have had an 03 since new and never missed a beat.

they are fairly decent cars, the Zetec S looks good on the outside, inside, if they all have that light grey trim and on the seats its not for me but good cars non the less. Struggle to find a better looking car of that age/miles/price. If you can get that for 9k id be chuffed.

Terrible economy given the type of car. Gutless engine that needs plenty of revs to get moving, heavy car. An older diesel is a much better bet.

For that kind of money you can get a meggy RS DCI, big enough for a little family unless your planning on extending :wink: and much better on mpg with it being a diesel.