Fitting a sub with a standard headunit?

Hi guys just as the title really is it possible to fit a sub to the standard headunit? I'm not really a fan of aftermarket headunits.

Cheers

But the signal of the rear speakers is different to the sub signal.. No?

Yes, the standard headunit will filter out low frequencies to protect the door speakers.

You won't get proper bass if you tap into the speaker cables. However, it would probably work ok if you're running an aftermarket headunit as this won't filter the low frequencies out.

Yes, the standard headunit will filter out low frequencies to protect the door speakers.

You won't get proper bass if you tap into the speaker cables. However, it would probably work ok if you're running an aftermarket headunit as this won't filter the low frequencies out.

Nope, the head unit will send a full signal, the std component speakers in the front will have their own crossovers.

Bass will be fine if using an active sub as most have hi level inputs which is what you need to power one from std headunit unless it has pre outs which I.doubt.

Last edited:
The cossovers on the standard speakers are for filtering high frequencies from the mids and low frequences from the tweeters (Headunit can't do this as its only one feed). The headunit internal filters cut the low frequences from the mids.

Can easily prove this by using an aftermarket headunit and discovering low bass on the standard speakers! The standard headunit limits it to protect the speakers - lower warranty claims :wink:

The cossovers on the standard speakers are for filtering high frequencies from the mids and low frequences from the tweeters (Headunit can't do this as its only one feed). The headunit internal filters cut the low frequences from the mids.

Can easily prove this by using an aftermarket headunit and discovering low bass on the standard speakers! The standard headunit limits it to protect the speakers - lower warranty claims :wink:

Trust me, the headunit sends a full signal.. I spent years competing in ICE comps in my younger years. I won't get into a debate about it. It's an advanced std headunit if it does. But if you say you are right, who am I to argue.

Had my fair share of sound quality audio in previous cars! Pretty sure the renault one did cut bass (Been 2 years since I used it), I get a lot more deep bass on my pioneer with the standard speakers.

In my old ford you could hear that the gain on the low frequencies was reduced more and more as the volume increased, that's where I first saw this and a lot of people had problems trying to fit subwoofers to the speaker outs on those headunits. I would guess this is programmed into the headunit to limit the xmax of the speaker and avoid warranty claims

Had my fair share of sound quality audio in previous cars! Pretty sure the renault one did cut bass (Been 2 years since I used it), I get a lot more deep bass on my pioneer with the standard speakers.

In my old ford you could hear that the gain on the low frequencies was reduced more and more as the volume increased, that's where I first saw this and a lot of people had problems trying to fit subwoofers to the speaker outs on those headunits. I would guess this is programmed into the headunit to limit the xmax of the speaker and avoid warranty claims

Hmm, it just doesn't make sense dude.. it would sound awful with just mid and treble on the std components... But meh, im prob out of touch these days and my last headunit was a nakamichi which doesn't even have its own on board power lol!

It's just a high pass filter which I'd guess is at around 80Hz and then with the ford headunit either the cut off frequency moved up or it EQd lower frequencies down. Heard great things about the old nakamichis, would have been worth a fair bit now, people are still after them!

i wired a sub off my standard HU. I used a speaker wire to aux cable converter, where i tapped off the front speaker cables and found the 12v for the turn on for the HU as the remote lead to the amp. And it sounds very good!
hope this helps