First weeks impressions

Wasn't sure if I should post this on the RUK forum or here ;/
Now have a few hundred miles under my belt. Picked up my Gordini in White a week ago.

Good

Love the looks, the keyless entry, the cornering lights, go karting feel and comfortable ride ( yes I have the cup pack). Leather interior is nice

Unsure

For a 2 litre in a small package, why is it so gutless at low revs? Not spent as much time kangarooing down the road as in this car - it doesn't seem to like 3000 revs and medium throttle, especially when cold. Dipped beam is poor. Auto windscreen wipers need rehab. The Bluetooth phone works ok but the
controls to operate feel like a ZX81, not an IPAD. Where is the exhaust note ? Don't remember my 182 or 306 GTI6 being this quiet?

The car is proving hard to get good progress around town and the other cars I own through my company that I get to drive feel a shed load easier to drive quickly. generally they have a turbo though.

I own and have owned quite a few NA cars (being in your 40's has some perks :smile:

Maybe I should have spent a long time test driving, but struggling to fall in love.

You need to take it down some B-roads and empty A-roads.....there there will be love :wink:

they get better with miles on but need a serious thrashing to really fly :thumbsup:

Mate, seriously, these engines loosen up lovelly! I know it sounds like ages off, but mine has just done 20k miles and the car is so much better! Stay with it and it will be rewarding. As Mike has said, get it down some country roads and give it a good drive. But wait untill the weather gets better! Lol!

I think the exhaust on the 200 sound much better than the 182.

Pics of your car are needed !! :tongueout:

Not being funny but are you sure they didn't sell you a 1.2 with stripes by mistake lol??? :wink:

I am sure that you will grow to love it. It really does need to head towards the redline before it comes to life. 5,500rpm onwards it is brilliant. I am more than happy with it around town but to be perfectly honest that is because I take it steady. It is a completely different drive to anything with a turbo when taking it steady, the lack of torque is a killer, but can be overcome by revs. As has been said it will loosen up as the miles go on and feel faster.

Oh and I would love to see pics of the white Gordini!

If you've been pootling round town in it, then you'll struggle to see it at it's best.

As Mike says, get it opened up on some good A/B driving roads and you'll soon see where these cars excell.

The exhaust note is awesome, and only gets better with mileage.

Pics of my car are on the Gordini register. :smile:

I'm know it will perform when pushing it, but during the week that isn't always easy, so relaxed driving does come into it.

Not sure I will agree with people on the exhaust note, it just doesn't seem to have one. Maybe my points of reference are different. I expected a hard ride and the Clio is damn smooth, but had thought I would get a bit more vocal excitement. The smoothness around town is my real bug bear at the moment.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the straight line speed of my 200 but then again it's only two weeks old with 500 miles on the clock.

integra type r, dc5? dc2? think the dc5 is 6 secs dead off the top of my head, so almost a second quicker to the first marker, then think the dc2 is around 6.4 or 6.5??
how does the handling compare to your teg? that would be a very interesting comparison....

stu.

I noticed around 1,400 miles that there was a distinct change for the better - more power & earlier in the rev range. Stick with it - once the snow goes !

N.

One thing to add is that the Kangarooing is just a general problem with Clio Sports engines (correct me if I'm wrong fellas). I put a new air filter in on a recommendation from someone on here. Really helped on a cold start, not as good in these temps though but it helps.

Pics of my car are on the Gordini register. :smile:

I'm know it will perform when pushing it, but during the week that isn't always easy, so relaxed driving does come into it.

Not sure I will agree with people on the exhaust note, it just doesn't seem to have one. Maybe my points of reference are different. I expected a hard ride and the Clio is damn smooth, but had thought I would get a bit more vocal excitement. The smoothness around town is my real bug bear at the moment.

You think the clio with cup suspension is smooth? :s

My neck and back are killing me becuase of the harsh ride if im honest but I have done 1400 miles in a month... :blink:

Is Chins200 some kind of troll?

I only ask because in his post he claims to have owned a 182 and then seems to think kangarooing from cold is a 200 only problem? And that the exhaust note is quieter on a 200?

Really puzzled why you draw these conclusions!

integra type r, dc5? dc2? think the dc5 is 6 secs dead off the top of my head, so almost a second quicker to the first marker, then think the dc2 is around 6.4 or 6.5??
how does the handling compare to your teg? that would be a very interesting comparison....
It's a DC2, I've still got it. Even for a 12 year old car the engine and gearbox are superb. If going for a b-road blast I would take the Teg. It has a different character to the Clio. I'm very impressed with Clio's handling so far, it inspires confidence to carry that extra speed but just lacks that little spark from the engine and especially the gearbox.

End of the day, I'm not that bothered. I ended up picking the 200, instead of a diesel fiesta/207 through a company lease deal, so I can have a bit more fun commuting which I am.

they get better with miles on but need a serious thrashing to really fly :thumbsup:

As above.
I hated mine when i drove out of the showroom, it felt so slow compared to my 182.
Now with a few 1000 k on it there is a big change, sounds really good 2.5k to 4 k (getting louder by the day) pulls 10 times better now than when i got it.

Only downside i have with mine is poor mpg, best ive had on a long m/way run is low 30's and for normal everyday driving im at 21.2