First taster of RS Clio with £4-£5k?

Hi All,

Have lurked and read on here for a while now as i had been considering a 197F1 / 200 (always fancied a RS Clio of some description to see how much fun they are).

The problem i have is that i already have 2 cars - a motorway hack (skoda VRS diesel) and a modded and cherished lupo gti (no snickers please). To get in a modern 197 F1 or 200 i would need to move the lupo on. Both I and the better half love this car and are loathed to do that. The diesel can't go as we do 20k motorway miles a year.

I would like to try a RS Clio and see if they are as much fun as everyone says, but i don't want to part with the lupo in particular and then regret it down the line. I can afford to splash out £4-£5k and run 3 cars.

The clio would not be a daily, wouldn't be tracked, and is for the occasional hoon when i feel like it. Something i could move on again if i regretted it without sacrificing the lupo.

So what would you advise? 172 Cup / 182 Cup / stretch to a Trophy? Very happy to go cheaper and refresh suspension if needed.

Thanks all.

N.

Why do it that way? Why not go test drive a few and see what you think?

Rather than spend that about of money on a 182/172 then have to sell it again along with another car to get a 197/200?

You'd probably get a really really nice 182 for 3-5k... I wouldn't risk 5k on a mark 3 though, personally... Not yet, anyway.

Why do it that way? Why not go test drive a few and see what you think?

Rather than spend that about of money on a 182/172 then have to sell it again along with another car to get a 197/200?

Perhaps i didn't make myself clear. Apologies. At the moment i'm not willing to part with either of the other 2 cars to finance a 197 / 200 and so that rules out the newer cars financially. I will test drive of course but just wanted a few opinions on likely fun factor of the earlier versions.

Would a 172 cup (cheap as chips) be a likely candidate for example (not that many around and so seeking a decent one out to test drive isn't as simple as going down the local dealer to try out a 200).

The 172s and 200s will drive totally differently tbh. Ones of greater build quality and is a faster car (200) but the 172/182 are cheaper, feel faster etc. but arent.

A good 172/182 could be had for 3-3.5k.

The 172s and 200s will drive totally differently tbh. Ones of greater build quality and is a faster car (200) but the 172/182 are cheaper, feel faster etc. but arent.

A good 172/182 could be had for 3-3.5k.

I know i need to drive them. Not bothered about the faster car as I'm not racing anyone or getting anywhere at speed. Been there, done it, sold it. The lupo gti is not fast, but is more fun than a mapped S3 and 3 liter beamer that i've had.

I know i need to drive them. Not bothered about the faster car as I'm not racing anyone or getting anywhere at speed. Been there, done it, sold it. The lupo gti is not fast, but is more fun than a mapped S3 and 3 liter beamer that i've had.

buy a 182 if its going to be occasional they are a great car and at least you will get a feel of what the Clio is all about save a little more trade in the Clio and then get a 197 thats what i would do..:thumbsup:

buy a 182 if its going to be occasional they are a great car and at least you will get a feel of what the Clio is all about save a little more trade in the Clio and then get a 197 thats what i would do..:thumbsup:

on 5k I would buy the following

Racing Blue 182 FULL FAT only ~ 3750 on 40-50 k ( ensure cambelt is done)

Recaro trendlines fitted- £750
£500 for suspension

job done

for 5k you wont get a great trophy-

I have got a 197 at the moment & my flamer 172 -the flamer gradually pulled away from a 197 the other day....

S

have to admit my 182 was more eager and fun at lower speeds and does feel quick even if your not reving the nuts off of it. my 200 is firmer at low speeds and feels and sounds amazing at high revs which for me is fun but is very different feeling to the 182.

What trying to say is the 182 is very good fun! So with those funds you wouldnt be dissapointed!

I have had a 182 both cup packs then a phase 1 172 and now a Trophy and loving the Trophy at the moment, you need to try one.
Ive joined this site as i'll most proberly be selling the end of this year to get a 197 or a 200 just not sure which model yet but it's got to be quicker and a better drive than my Trophy.................

I have had a 182 both cup packs then a phase 1 172 and now a Trophy and loving the Trophy at the moment, you need to try one.
Ive joined this site as i'll most proberly be selling the end of this year to get a 197 or a 200 just not sure which model yet but it's got to be quicker and a better drive than my Trophy.................

Can you tell me a little about the trophy please in relation to the 182 cup (on road). There could always be some leeway in the budget :thumbup1:

172 cup all day long for a track car. Close 2nd would be a 182 trophy for me. Both well within your budget.

its got to be quicker and a better drive than my Trophy.................

I wouldnt place any money on that tbh!!

197 for show, Trophy for a pro :wink:

To be fair though, my 197 cup was awesome, just not worth 4 grand more than the pink shed. If i only had room for one car on the drive, 197/200, but with room for daily & a fun car, 1*2 everytime ...

Last edited:
I wouldnt place any money on that tbh!!

197 for show, Trophy for a pro :wink:

To be fair though, my 197 cup was awesome, just not worth 4 grand more than the pink shed. If i only had room for one car on the drive, 197/200, but with room for daily & a fun car, 1*2 everytime ...

If you are paying 4k over what trophys are going for for a 197, might I suggest you paid over the odds + I've never seen my my 182 overtook by a trophy on track, a couple 197s have had her though